Hurricane Irma: Florida braced for 'most catastrophic storm ever'

Watch this thread
Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-latest-news/

Florida is set to be hit by the 'most catastrophic storm' it has ever seen in the coming hours, with Hurricane Irma bringing tornadoes, a 15ft sea surge, flooding and 130mph winds.

In the last few hours, Irma has strengthened to a Category 4 storm as it closed in on the island chain known as the Florida Keys, the US National Hurricane Center said.
Its eye is expected to cross the Lower Florida Keys this morning before moving "near or along" the peninsular state's west coast, where it threatened storm surges of up to 4.6 meters - enough to cover a house.

Prime Minister Theresa May said work was taking place with US authorities to ensure British expats and tourists in Florida were protected as millions of locals and visitors flee to safety.

But the Foreign and Commonwealth Office has said its ability to provide assistance to British citizens may be "extremely limited" and advised those affected to make their own contingency plans.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-latest-news/

Florida is set to be hit by the 'most catastrophic storm' it has ever seen in the coming hours, with Hurricane Irma bringing tornadoes, a 15ft sea surge, flooding and 130mph winds.

In the last few hours, Irma has strengthened to a Category 4 storm as it closed in on the island chain known as the Florida Keys, the US National Hurricane Center said.
Its eye is expected to cross the Lower Florida Keys this morning before moving "near or along" the peninsular state's west coast, where it threatened storm surges of up to 4.6 meters - enough to cover a house.

Prime Minister Theresa May said work was taking place with US authorities to ensure British expats and tourists in Florida were protected as millions of locals and visitors flee to safety.

But the Foreign and Commonwealth Office has said its ability to provide assistance to British citizens may be "extremely limited" and advised those affected to make their own contingency plans.
Looks pretty bad out there. Not seen something like it since Hurricane Katrina as far as I can remember.
Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
Looks pretty bad out there. Not seen something like it since Hurricane Katrina as far as I can remember.
What about the hurricane in Texas just the other week lol? I hate British weather but then sometimes I think at least we don't get many natural disasters so that's something.

I wonder what's causes all these crazy events happening recently, flooding in Livorno Italy, 90 dead in an Earthquake in Mexico. It's insane.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (99)
28.61%
It went fairly well (165)
47.69%
It didn't go too well (55)
15.9%
TERRIBLE! (27)
7.8%

Watched Threads