The Student Room Group

How much should I charge for tutoring?

How much should I charge for an hours maths or science tutoring?

I just finished my A levels getting A*s in the subjects that I would be tutoring. I'm currently studying Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Physics at AS.

All advice appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 12ksmith

I just finished my A levels getting A*s in the subjects that I would be tutoring. I'm currently studying Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Physics at AS.

Sorry - I made a typo. I've just completed GCSEs
Do it free be nice
Sorry - I made a typo. I've just completed GCSEs

Well it's just GCSE. I know that high end tutors that are loaded with papers make customers pay 60£ for 2 hours. 40£ for 1 hour.

Since you're looking for customers and haven't tutored before then I'd say start at 15£ for 1 hour. 25£ for 2 hours.
If you've just finished GCSE's tbh you would have to do it for rock bottom as there will be plenty of people that have completed A levels/uni students also looking to earn money and their higher qualification will make them far more desirable. Personally I wouldn't be willing to pay for someone whos highest education level is GCSE to tutor children.
My tutor charged £35 an hour except that's for A level, I think GCSE is around £25
Reply 6
Original post by anon157
Well it's just GCSE. I know that high end tutors that are loaded with papers make customers pay 60£ for 2 hours. 40£ for 1 hour.

Since you're looking for customers and haven't tutored before then I'd say start at 20£ for 1 hour. 25£ for 2 hours.

I have a little experience tutoring before within school & I also help tutor my brother who is in year 11. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 7
Original post by VMD100
If you've just finished GCSE's tbh you would have to do it for rock bottom as there will be plenty of people that have completed A levels/uni students also looking to earn money and their higher qualification will make them far more desirable. Personally I wouldn't be willing to pay for someone whos highest education level is GCSE to tutor children.

Yeah, I figured that I would not earn much compared to more qualified tutors. However £15 an hour is still pretty good wage for a 16 year old.
Reply 8
Original post by eternalhinch
Do it free be nice

Aha, I need money. Saving up for a trip to Kenya next year.
Reply 9
Original post by VMD100

I see your p
Original post by VMD100

I see where you're coming from. But people still seem interested even though I've only done GCSEs. I guess I have the added benefit of knowing the syllabus & exam style as I only sat the papers recently.
Yeah, I figured that I would not earn much compared to more qualified tutors. However £15 an hour is still pretty good wage for a 16 year old.

If you can get away with charging £15 then by all means go for it!!!

I just remembered that the specifications have changed. The only new specs you should have sat were English and Maths since we are both in Year 12.

I hear new specs are harder. If i was you I'd just tutor Maths and forget about the other subjects.
Reply 12
Original post by anon157
I just remembered that the specifications have changed. The only new specs you should have sat were English and Maths since we are both in Year 12.

I hear new specs are harder. If i was you I'd just tutor Maths and forget about the other subjects.

Yeah, the maths spec is the same as we sat. My brother is in year 11. The science specs are quite similar with a few added components. But from what I've seen they are relatively easy so I'm sure I will be able to learn these if people want me to tutor science as well.
Yeah, the maths spec is the same as we sat. My brother is in year 11. The science specs are quite similar with a few added components. But from what I've seen they are relatively easy so I'm sure I will be able to learn these if people want me to tutor science as well.

Lol i got a pretty crap memory. I remember that the added A-level stuff to the GCSE sciences are things you're gona learn about anyway, and i recall that the majority of the starting topics in A-level are just recalling stuff from GCSE.

Go ahead mate i advise you relearn the GCSE stuff as a fellow student doing BioChem :biggrin:
Maybe just £4 per hour? GCSEs themselves aren't worth much

Probably a tenner, honestly you might make more money and business on cambly
Original post by earmstrong7
Probably a tenner, honestly you might make more money and business on cambly

this post is three years old
Original post by HoldThisL
this post is three years old

lelele i just found it trying to get my dms working

why are we both here then :eek:
Original post by earmstrong7
lelele i just found it trying to get my dms working

why are we both here then :eek:

because you bumped it

10 pounds to 25 pounds an hour...if u want fast clients charge 10,then by the quantity can teach 4 or 5 at a time ..and beats the competition as well..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending