I'm doing 1984 too! xx
Original post by faloodeh
this is such a good idea omg

year 12
english literature
unsure of exam board atm, i think OCR
only text im aware of atm is 1984
im not looking forward to anything LOL

lol same, all I know is that we're going to study 1984. I'm in yr 12 too and we were given holiday homework to answer a few questions on 1984 and complete an essay.
Original post by *Alisha*
lol same, all I know is that we're going to study 1984. I'm in yr 12 too and we were given holiday homework to answer a few questions on 1984 and complete an essay.

..are we going to the same sixth form? :rofl: because I am doing that essay right now
Wow, my first ever tag :biggrin: thanks!
- I'm in year 12
- Studying English literature
- Edexcel
- John Keats poetry, Modern poetry, Hamlet and ??? [Frankenstein and The Handmaid’s Tale or Tess of the D’Urbervilles and Mrs Dalloway, hopefully we'll find out soon...hopefully].
- Probably everything about it, relishing the fact that it has almost nothing to do with maths/science :colondollar:
Original post by faloodeh
..are we going to the same sixth form? :rofl: because I am doing that essay right now

I go to a college not sixth form
Original post by wordsandroses
Not yet! But I saw the tv show and rlly enjoyed it and then found out it was one of my books xx

Ooh the TV show is so good! I was so scared that it was going to wreck the book but it didn't at all - then again, I worried like that about War and Peace (I want to do Russian at uni, so you can imagine how close that book is to my heart) and the TV adaptation was excellent in the end.

Original post by 0hhowinteresting

English LITerature

I see what you did there... xD

What title/area/text(s) are you thinking of doing for your coursework? I'm so excited to have the freedom of the coursework but it also sounds like quite a lot of work!
I am in year 12.
Study the streetcar named desire.
Year 13, English literature with AQA! Set texts this year are The Handmaids Tale, Owen Sheers poetry, Streetcar named desire! Anyone else on AQA and started on the coursework?? I've chosen Crime and Punishment and Lolita ... slightly regretting!
Original post by izziembarton
Year 13, English literature with AQA! Set texts this year are The Handmaids Tale, Owen Sheers poetry, Streetcar named desire! Anyone else on AQA and started on the coursework?? I've chosen Crime and Punishment and Lolita ... slightly regretting!

Omg are you applying for Russian at uni?
Original post by Sonechka
Omg are you applying for Russian at uni?

No!! I'm applying for French and Spanish but was drawn to the Russian authors for some reason, both such interesting books!!
No!! I'm applying for French and Spanish but was drawn to the Russian authors for some reason, both such interesting books!!

Aw, thought I'd found another Russianist :/ we're a rare breed! At least you're doing modern languages :tongue: (and I'm also doing French!).

Is it a comparative essay you're writing? What aspect of the novels are you comparing?
Original post by Sonechka
Aw, thought I'd found another Russianist :/ we're a rare breed! At least you're doing modern languages :tongue: (and I'm also doing French!).

Is it a comparative essay you're writing? What aspect of the novels are you comparing?

Haha good luck with it!!

Yeah we get to choose the title and I'm not overly sure yet, think I'll start with the theme of obsession, probs will look at narrative voice and the fact that C&P is a text in translation! It's all a bit up in the air atm but once UCAS is done I'll be free as a bird!!

What other subjects are you taking this year?
Haha good luck with it!!

Yeah we get to choose the title and I'm not overly sure yet, think I'll start with the theme of obsession, probs will look at narrative voice and the fact that C&P is a text in translation! It's all a bit up in the air atm but once UCAS is done I'll be free as a bird!!

What other subjects are you taking this year?

Thanks, you too!

That's a good link between the two; if you need/would like a tertiary text to refer to, Invitation to a Beheading is a really good one since it's by Nabokov but deals with many similar themes to Crime and Punishment.

I'm taking maths, French and Latin, and then further maths next year (either AS or the full A-level, depending on how fast I can work). How about you?
Hi, I'm Leo, and I'm in Year 13! I'm studying (Edexcel) English Literature, but I'm going to drop it if I find it's getting to be too much work - I do three other essay based subjects.
My texts I know about are Handmaid's Tale, Frankenstein, A Streetcar Named Desire, Poems of the Decade. Next year we're doing a collection of Victorian poetry of some kind, and either Othello or Hamlet, don't know yet (it's up to the teacher). The coursework text is meant to be Great Gatsby and one text of our choice, but technically we're allowed to pick anything, so I want to do 1984 and A Clockwork Orange, looking at the idea of transgressions (but if I'm allowed to choose my own topic I want to do it on fear of the state).
I'm really looking forward to getting the chance to look at some Shakespeare! Not looking forward to Victorian poetry quite so much, I didn't enjoy it when I studied it at GCSE. I'm also looking forward to having one teacher for the year - had six teachers last year! I'm also looking forward to the coursework, but tbh only if I get to do the books I want to.
Reply 34
Hey, I'm Tom! Thanks for the tag :biggrin: I start Year 12 tomorrow and am taking English Literature with WJEC. I'm mostly looking forward to exploring the texts and using it as a creative outlet whilst also taking triple science! In Year 12 I'll be studying The Mayor of Casterbridge, A Streetcar Named Desire and poetry by both Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes. In Year 13 I'll be doing The Great Gatsby, Brooklyn and I think we're doing The Tempest and Christina Rossetti, but I'm not 100% sure about that. :tongue: Anyone else here doing English and Bio/Chem/Phys?
Original post by wordsandroses
thanks for the tag 💓 this is a really good idea. I'm in Year 13 and I'm studying English Literature and might be doing AS English Language aswell. I'm not sure of my exam board but my Set Texts are:
The Handmaid's Tale
Hamlet
Chaucer
(I don't know about poetry yet)

Love all of those texts! Good luck this year :smile:
Thanks so much for the tag and for the idea Sonechka! This is probably my worst (yet also most exciting) A-level (OCR Eng. Lit) so I expect to spend much time I'm here!

Are you in Year 12 or Year 13? 12
Are you studying English language, English literature or both? Lit
Which exam board are you using? OCR
What are your set texts? (for English literature) An Ideal Husband, Hamlet, The Merchant's Prologue and Tale
What do you enjoy most/are you looking forward to most about English? Reading, reading and more reading!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Tombre
Hey, I'm Tom! Thanks for the tag :biggrin: I start Year 12 tomorrow and am taking English Literature with WJEC. I'm mostly looking forward to exploring the texts and using it as a creative outlet whilst also taking triple science! In Year 12 I'll be studying The Mayor of Casterbridge, A Streetcar Named Desire and poetry by both Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes. In Year 13 I'll be doing The Great Gatsby, Brooklyn and I think we're doing The Tempest and Christina Rossetti, but I'm not 100% sure about that. :tongue: Anyone else here doing English and Bio/Chem/Phys?

I do English Lit and Physics. Both OCR.
I'm doing the Edexcel Spec. The books we are studying are: Frankenstein, The Handmaid's Tale and Antony and Cleopatra.

If anybody would like to discuss any topical or interesting ideas surrounding the books listed, that would be appreciated.

I am keen to share ideas and build on my knowledge through some discussions about the context of the novels, as well as the political and social aspects as well.
Thanks for the tag!
I'm in Year 13 studying English Literature A, AQA
Set texts: The Handmaids Tale, Othello, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, A Dolls House and Top Girls

I love English because I find it interesting, especially looking at context

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending