The Student Room Group

Are there any Petroleum engineering apprenticeships available?

Hi,

I am currently studying Engineering at college, it is a level 3 course. I have one year left on the course so have to decide what i want to do next. I have really found an interest in petroleum engineering. But i have so many questions about it.
1) Is there any companies offering apprentiships in this field?
2) How hard is it to find employment after graduating?
3) Which companies offer internships or work experiance in this field?

Here are a few questions i have, i forgot the rest as it is 3 am in the UK and im tired.
Original post by Mohammad_Adam
Hi,

I am currently studying Engineering at college, it is a level 3 course. I have one year left on the course so have to decide what i want to do next. I have really found an interest in petroleum engineering. But i have so many questions about it.

Here are a few questions i have, i forgot the rest as it is 3 am in the UK and im tired.

It really is a question of your working out who the big players are in the field and what they offer. Then stalking them to look for opportunities, There may be timelines for this sort of thing which will be on their websites or you can email and ask.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=petroleum+engineering+apprenticeships&oq=petroleum+engineering+app&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j69i61j0l3.7475j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Finding work after uni is challenging in any field so it's a question of starting early. You may find that you have to work your way up and eventually do a postgrad course.
Original post by Mohammad_Adam
Hi,

I'm not aware of any apprenticeships that will lead you to becoming a petroleum engineer, but there are (or were pre-downturn) lots of companies that offered apprenticeships that will lead you to becoming, e.g. a fitter, mechanical technician, instrument technician, production technician, designer/draughtsman, etc... basically a wide variety of technician roles.

The first place I would look for oil & gas apprenticeships is OPITO:

http://www.opito.com/apprenticeships
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks for your reply, ive seen them but im not sure what the qualification at the end of there apprentiship is. Does anyone know?

Original post by Smack
I'm not aware of any apprenticeships that will lead you to becoming a petroleum engineer, but there are (or were pre-downturn) lots of companies that offered apprenticeships that will lead you to becoming, e.g. a fitter, mechanical technician, instrument technician, production technician, designer/draughtsman, etc... basically a wide variety of technician roles.

The first place I would look for oil & gas apprenticeships is OPITO:

http://www.opito.com/apprenticeships
Oil and gas industry is on a major slump now. Try googling 'oil and gas jobs news'.

I ain't saying that its good or bad. I'm doing my MSc in Petroleum & Gas Engineering right now at Portsmouth tho. 😂
To my knowledge, there are no apprenticeships or Internships to become a Petroleum engineer. I'm currently studying undergrad Petroleum Engineering at Leeds. It's a technical role where you do need the knowledge you obtain during your degree.
Oh right i know with uk cars turning to electric im worried about the future. If you dont mind me asking what are you studying and where are you planning on working?

Original post by nbclosa.re
Oil and gas industry is on a major slump now. Try googling 'oil and gas jobs news'.

I ain't saying that its good or bad. I'm doing my MSc in Petroleum & Gas Engineering right now at Portsmouth tho. 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending