The Student Room Group

Moving to London without a job

So I will be officially moving to London this Thursday after thinking about doing so for over a year. I graduated with a 2:1 in July after studying for 4 years. My original plan was to go to London and study a Masters for a year, but I've now decided to not do the masters (being a Northern Irish student, I get zero financial help for Student Finance) so I've decided the best thing to do right now is to work in London and earn money rather than going straight back to university and leave myself with more debt than I already have. I will be living with my girlfriend in a nice area of London, where the rent is also quite decent, it'll be 5k each for the year (I worked part time for the last few years so I have good savings thankfully) The day after I arrive in London, I have 2 interviews that I organised a few weeks ago (One is for a bank, the other is for a TV Network). Basically I have no guarantee of a job, but I'm hoping to go to London anyway and chance my arm and hopefully make ends meet somehow. Anyway, what I'm asking is, is this a good/bad idea to just move to London and hope for the best? I'm sorry for the long post, but I'm really anxious and feel like i should get it off my chest. Anyone with similar situations - I'd love to hear your side of things!
as long as you have savings to cover first 3 months rent sounds like a good plan.
Original post by AlisonMargaret
So I will be officially moving to London this Thursday after thinking about doing so for over a year. I graduated with a 2:1 in July after studying for 4 years. My original plan was to go to London and study a Masters for a year, but I've now decided to not do the masters (being a Northern Irish student, I get zero financial help for Student Finance) so I've decided the best thing to do right now is to work in London and earn money rather than going straight back to university and leave myself with more debt than I already have. I will be living with my girlfriend in a nice area of London, where the rent is also quite decent, it'll be 5k each for the year (I worked part time for the last few years so I have good savings thankfully) The day after I arrive in London, I have 2 interviews that I organised a few weeks ago (One is for a bank, the other is for a TV Network). Basically I have no guarantee of a job, but I'm hoping to go to London anyway and chance my arm and hopefully make ends meet somehow. Anyway, what I'm asking is, is this a good/bad idea to just move to London and hope for the best? I'm sorry for the long post, but I'm really anxious and feel like i should get it off my chest. Anyone with similar situations - I'd love to hear your side of things!

You sound quite well placed to try this, given that you have savings and a degree and some work experience. London is definitely the place where the jobs are, the big struggle for many people is not finding a job here but finding a reasonable and affordable place to live. You have the second one sorted, so you should do well at the first if you plug away at it. Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending