Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Raleigh Park Accommodation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Coda
Go with Raleigh. You'll have to make more of an effort but it's much better than the alternatives. It's a REALLY social place since there're a lot of students crammed in the same place. Try to get a flat in Silitoe Court if possible.

why silitoe court? what's best about it? (im at silitoe i just want to know why you recommend it :smile: ) x
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by scbond
Maybe highlight the whole comment next time, yea?! It was created later than others like SPC's and it was slow to get going in the Raleigh group...as well as having barely any in the firmer's group selecting Raleigh. Did I say this was the official SU pages created a week or so ago?! No. Did I say it was still quiet?! No. Was I referring to user-created groups on Facebook which matter far more than ones created by people who have never lived there nor will they ever live there? Yes. So you too need to get your facts straight before posting and accusing people of things you barely understand.

User created groups are not representative of a hall at all.
The groups which matter are the official ones created by the Student Union, do your research and look at official groups/pages a just before/during/after freshers week and the official ones are far more active than unofficial ones. Official ones are where the reps are, the student union exec and the vast majority of people who LIVE at the hall. Unofficial ones are created by promoters and the reason they do that is so they can get people to work for them that are in halls etc selling tickets. Generally the pages are set up from promoters from that hall the year before (and therefor do not meet your requirement of people who currently live there).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by BeccaSi
why silitoe court? what's best about it? (im at silitoe i just want to know why you recommend it :smile: ) x

It's the busiest place. Lots of students packed into flats. All of the flat parties I went to at RP were there.
what's Raleigh Park like for smokers? is it strictly no smoking inside the buildings or is it a petty rule, most my friends at uni smoke in their halls so I'm hoping it's not too much of a problem.... :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by takingcampus4aride
User created groups are not representative of a hall at all.
The groups which matter are the official ones created by the Student Union, do your research and look at official groups/pages a just before/during/after freshers week and the official ones are far more active than unofficial ones. Official ones are where the reps are, the student union exec and the vast majority of people who LIVE at the hall. Unofficial ones are created by promoters and the reason they do that is so they can get people to work for them that are in halls etc selling tickets. Generally the pages are set up from promoters from that hall the year before (and therefor do not meet your requirement of people who currently live there).

Wow, you obviously work for the SU then don't you? I'd sooner join an independent, user-run group than one run by people who have little connection to the group and like their own comments...which is really creepy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by b215
I've been offered a place at Nottingham University through adjustment to study Economics, but the only accommodation available is Raleigh Park, which is away from the University Park Campus.

Does anyone know what it's like living at Raleigh? Is it social or is it a bit cut off from what happens on the main campus? Do many students who live there travel to the main campus?

Cheers

It's very social! I studied on Jubilee in my first year and lived on University Park, but loads of my friends lived in Raleigh and it was an awesome social place! It's not really cut off, as you'll often be going out with friends from halls, and if you want to get to UP, just walk 5 mins to Jubilee and catch the Hopper Bus to UP, which will take about 5-10 mins :smile:

Original post by b215
Yeah, I only got the option of applying for Raleigh. I saw it on Friday, its basically just blocks of flats and houses, with a small common room, but no bar. I was just wondering whether anyone knows whether it's isolated, as most things seem to happen on the main campus, centred around the halls...

Depends what you want from a bar mind - it's 5 mins walk to the Jubilee halls' bar, 10-15 mins to walk and get the bus to UP for other bars, or 5-x mins walk to a number of bars/pubs off-csite :smile:

Original post by Coda
Raleigh is better, SPC is too out of the way and is not official halls. Raleigh is social!

'Official'? :p: The University promotes it the same way it promotes Raleigh - http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/accommodationoptions/selfcateredsites/stpeterscourt.aspx

Original post by b215
Are students at Raleigh/Opal 1 fairly isolated (not necessarily geographically, but socially) from the students living on UPC during freshers/throughout the year? You say they get coaches, is that different to how people at UPC get into town?

Not at all! During Freshers' Week, there'll be coaches into town just like there are for students on say UP. You'll make just as many friends and be just as involved! :biggrin:
Reply 26
Raleigh is fun and it is social, don't worry to much about getting to campus as you'll only really need that for lectures (and possibly campus 14!). you also have the added bonus of being walking distance from town, which the campus losers don't (:

i second the guy who said to try and get a flat in sillitoe (or madison), i lived in byron which was a 30 second walk but still quite cut off. having said that we did make friends from people all around raleigh, and because the blocks in byron have very few flats in them everyone in my block got really close, yay :smile:

the beach bar in sillitoe court closed down last year, it was only really used during freshers anyway

oh yeah and there's also laundry in every block, rubbish facilities (plus recycling!) and the booze stop 10 seconds down the road, best offie eva, genuinely the highlight of raleigh :tongue:

the cleaners are scary though. hide in your room when they come round.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by theresnoothername
what's Raleigh Park like for smokers? is it strictly no smoking inside the buildings or is it a petty rule, most my friends at uni smoke in their halls so I'm hoping it's not too much of a problem.... :smile:

well in theory it's strictly forbidden, but detectors in the room are heat, not smoke (i'm guessing the builders realised people would probably smoke indoors regardless). either way i'd avoid it the day before the cleaners come round, a friend got raided by the police after smoking naughty things in his room, apparently the cleaners reported him
Original post by theths
well in theory it's strictly forbidden, but detectors in the room are heat, not smoke (i'm guessing the builders realised people would probably smoke indoors regardless). either way i'd avoid it the day before the cleaners come round, a friend got raided by the police after smoking naughty things in his room, apparently the cleaners reported him

Some guys in my flat in 1st year burned a bit of carpet when smoking Shisha, had to pay for replacing the entire carpet and a fine for smoking indoors - so don't damage anything if you do smoke!
Reply 29
Does anyone no if u can have guests stay longer than 3 days at opal. Would people reccomend opal accom??
Reply 30
Original post by b215
I've been offered a place at Nottingham University through adjustment to study Economics, but the only accommodation available is Raleigh Park, which is away from the University Park Campus.

Does anyone know what it's like living at Raleigh? Is it social or is it a bit cut off from what happens on the main campus? Do many students who live there travel to the main campus?

Cheers

have you found a place to stay?
im a fresher and am really lost now since i haven't found a place to stay at yet! please let me know if u are still looking for accommodation at UoN, we can maybe share the twin studio at Broadgate park!
:smile:
Hi I'm in the exact same situation you were in; I am to study economics and I will be attending Raleigh park. How did you find it?
Original post by NkEzepue
Hi I'm in the exact same situation you were in; I am to study economics and I will be attending Raleigh park. How did you find it?

Hey, What did you think about Raleigh park?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending