The Student Room Group

Scared for GCSEs.. doing them in 2018

I'm actually so scared for my GCSEs because I know I'm going to fail :/ I just don't want to disappoint my parents and have an awful job and being unable to provide for my family and children when I'm older dang it

I'm missing out on so much content for science it's absolutely terrible! Since year 8 I've had supply teachers who don't care and pupils who just mess around and don't care about their life. The content I'm missing out on it so bad that I don't have any notes whatsoever, I'll also be learning it for the first time so It'll be even more difficult! Yeah I get it, most people In the GCSE fourms ask pointless questioms but I'm being full on serious here, I'm not messing around

Can someone just tell me how they revised for year 11 as I'm in such a hard position right now.. I've tried to get help from others but their advice just hasn't worked and I've tried my self!

My dream is just to open my results sheet, see 7s and 8s and then turn around and see the beautiful smile from my parents, that's the best feeling ever - when your parents are happy and smile at you.. especially if you're the subject

Scroll to see replies

My maths teacher in Year 10 was worthless and I still got a 7 and am currently doing A-Level maths and physics. I had to work my way up from a 4 though, so it doesn't come easy. Practice papers are your friend during revision, no matter what your teacher is like. When you've been through all the content, you can tell where your weaknesses are and if you've missed learning anything.
GCSEs is the biggest pile of overhyped crap I did. You can get A*s(Sorry i meant 8's) i all topics if you start cramming a month or so before the exam.

Get revision guides, and just learn them in and out for sciences and do past papers and practice questions. English: Back up your ******** and make it thoughtful by talking about context.
Original post by orderofthelotus
My maths teacher in Year 10 was worthless and I still got a 7 and am currently doing A-Level maths and physics. I had to work my way up from a 4 though, so it doesn't come easy. Practice papers are your friend during revision, no matter what your teacher is like. When you've been through all the content, you can tell where your weaknesses are and if you've missed learning anything.

Yeah, thanks for that. I'll do past papers but what exact revision technique did you use?
Don't worry mate. I'm also doing GCSEs in 2018. I'm scared as well but just revise. Dont get distracted when you revise though that is how you lose focus
Also what subjects are you doing?
Reply 5
I had no decent teachers for mine until like 5 months to go and I did fine. Revise and relax
Thank you so much for this, will do
Original post by MADMANMALIK
GCSEs is the biggest pile of overhyped crap I did. You can get A*s(Sorry i meant 8's) i all topics if you start cramming a month or so before the exam.

Get revision guides, and just learn them in and out for sciences and do past papers and practice questions. English: Back up your ******** and make it thoughtful by talking about context.

Thanks bro
Original post by DocHXS
Yeah, thanks for that. I'll do past papers but what exact revision technique did you use?

For which subject? Maths was literally just practice papers. When I got stuck, I would identify the topic and consult textbooks and look for videos on it until I was happy with the percentages I was getting.
Original post by DocHXS
I'm actually so scared for my GCSEs because I know I'm going to fail :/ I just don't want to disappoint my parents and have an awful job and being unable to provide for my family and children when I'm older dang it

I'm missing out on so much content for science it's absolutely terrible! Since year 8 I've had supply teachers who don't care and pupils who just mess around and don't care about their life. The content I'm missing out on it so bad that I don't have any notes whatsoever, I'll also be learning it for the first time so It'll be even more difficult! Yeah I get it, most people In the GCSE fourms ask pointless questioms but I'm being full on serious here, I'm not messing around

Can someone just tell me how they revised for year 11 as I'm in such a hard position right now.. I've tried to get help from others but their advice just hasn't worked and I've tried my self!

My dream is just to open my results sheet, see 7s and 8s and then turn around and see the beautiful smile from my parents, that's the best feeling ever - when your parents are happy and smile at you.. especially if you're the subject

Same here, i am doing gcse in 2018, may i know your predicted grades?
And reply to my PM :smile:

Gary
Original post by arahman5166
Don't worry mate. I'm also doing GCSEs in 2018. I'm scared as well but just revise. Dont get distracted when you revise though that is how you lose focus
Also what subjects are you doing?

Chose to to double science
Bio
Chem
Physics
Maths
French
English Literature
English language
Religious studies
History
Computer science
Original post by DocHXS
Bio
Chem
Physics
Maths
French
English Literature
English language
Religious studies
History
Computer science

I also did double science...
Except for history and French, i did geography and business
For which subject? Maths was literally just practice papers. When I got stuck, I would identify the topic and consult textbooks and look for videos on it until I was happy with the percentages I was getting.

Science as that's the biggest concern
Original post by GaryYeh
I also did double science...
Except for history and French, i did geography and business

Is business easy or hard and what do you learn there. What did you get in it and your other subjects. Also do you have any you regret doing and flopped.
Original post by DocHXS

Thanks man.
Original post by arahman5166
Is business easy or hard and what do you learn there. What did you get in it and your other subjects. Also do you have any you regret doing and flopped.

i had a little bit regret on doing geography, but i have no choice but to choose that subject
Original post by DocHXS
Bio
Chem
Physics
Maths
French
English Literature
English language
Religious studies
History
Computer science

There calm options man. However I find French a little crappy coz im doing it as well and dont understand anything. My teachers just say its gonna help me later in life so yeah. Apart from that everything is calm. Just revise as much as u can. :smile:
Original post by DocHXS

For science, I made mind maps on A3 paper for each module. Not sure how big the modules are for the 9-1 series but A3 should be enough...

There was a sheet full of questions in little boxes on the mind map that I stuck in the middle. I found them online, but you can make your own with those quick questions you find in textbooks at the bottom of the page. Answer them, then draw a branch where you expand on the concept until you're confident on it.
For science, I made mind maps on A3 paper for each module. Not sure how big the modules are for the 9-1 series but A3 should be enough...

There was a sheet full of questions in little boxes on the mind map that I stuck in the middle. I found them online, but you can make your own with those quick questions you find in textbooks at the bottom of the page. Answer them, then draw a branch where you expand on the concept until you're confident on it.

Thank you so much for this. Yeah, mindmaps seem excellent as there's lots of content to cover and A3 should be enough. Hopefully things just go how I want it and all I can do is work hard. Thank you once again :smile:
lo
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest