The Student Room Group

What is the purpose of a brick laying course?

Like, I'm not being funny but why on earth would you go to school for that? What do you do there? Is it quite literally how to brick lay...?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Obtain a qualification so they will be employed
Original post by SGHD26716
Obtain a qualification so they will be employed

So you need that course to be employed in brick laying? Couldn't a company just show you how to do it once or twice?
An employer is more likely to employ you in the art of Brick Laying if you had a qualification that shows you know how to lay a brick.
Brick laying isn't easy
There was definitely nothing funny about your post.
Original post by Sebastian1299
Like, I'm not being funny but why on earth would you go to school for that? What do you do there? Is it quite literally how to brick lay...?

So you need that course to be employed in brick laying? Couldn't a company just show you how to do it once or twice?

Mate you're ignorant. Brick laying pays very well, that house you're sitting in to type this thread was built by a measly brick layer, first of all.

Second of all, vocational training is what pays the bills tbh. If you have a particular skill or trade especially a manual one, you can honestly work your way out of poverty and be way more self sufficient from the government with the skills. The main reason there's so much unemployment and drop outs from school particularly in lower income and/or black neighbourhoods is cos they don't have useful skills. Bricklaying is legit.
Reply 7
I did a brick laying course once, until my motivation hit a wall.

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Mate you're ignorant. Brick laying pays very well, that house you're sitting in to type this thread was built by a measly brick layer, first of all.

Second of all, vocational training is what pays the bills tbh. If you have a particular skill or trade especially a manual one, you can honestly work your way out of poverty and be way more self sufficient from the government with the skills. The main reason there's so much unemployment and drop outs from school particularly in lower income and/or black neighbourhoods is cos they don't have useful skills. Bricklaying is legit.

Yeah but my question was what do you do? Like I don't get how you can make an entire lesson on brick laying...
You can even become a contractor or something, own your own construction company. Or sell concrete and become the richest man in the world like that dude in Africa. The richest woman ever is Chinese and she makes glass. Guess how she learned it? Working in a glass factory and she learned the skills of the very much needed craft and trade. Manual labour is only something to sneer down at if they don't use their manual skills to become a business owner. Also, bricklaying involves maths and geometry. I wouldn't want someone laying my bricks and they didn't know wtf they were doing. You like ceilings falling down on you? What about the Ancient Pyramids in Africa. That's technically brick laying, yet its a world wonder. Wtf.
Yeah but my question was what do you do? Like I don't get how you can make an entire lesson on brick laying...

read my latest post x
You can even become a contractor or something, own your own construction company. Or sell concrete and become the richest man in the world like that dude in Africa. The richest woman ever is Chinese and she makes glass. Guess how she learned it? Working in a glass factory and she learned the skills of the very much needed craft and trade. Manual labour is only something to sneer down at if they don't use their manual skills to become a business owner. Also, bricklaying involves maths and geometry. I wouldn't want someone laying my bricks and they didn't know wtf they were doing. You like ceilings falling down on you? What about the Ancient Pyramids in Africa. That's technically brick laying, yet its a world wonder. Wtf.

How do the lessons look like? How long is the course and how many hours per week?

Brick laying is not an easy job and it is an essential one. People go to FE college to learn the trade so they can get employed by a construction company. Usually they will be training/shadowing bricklayers whilst completing their course and most of the time they will have a job waiting for them at the end of it.

Trades such as bricklaying can also lead you into higher skilled jobs such as stonemasonry.

It's quite a secure job because for long as humans seek shelter from the elements bricklayers and stonemasons will always be required. Also, there is currently a trade shortage in the UK, so their wages are going up and up each year.

Further, according to Adzuna, the average wage of a bricklayer is £33,362; which is nothing to be sniffed at. This is 3.8% above the national average advertised salary of £32,125. Additionally, year-on-year pay for Bricklayer jobs has gone up 9.8% year-on-year, compared to an annual change of -2.5% for all jobs.
https://www.adzuna.co.uk/jobs/salaries/bricklayer
(edited 6 years ago)
How do the lessons look like? How long is the course and how many hours per week?

Just look at a college prospectus/website or contact a college and ask yourself.
Original post by Cubone-r
Just look at a college prospectus/website or contact a college and ask yourself.

He's not interested, just wants to laugh at brick layers.
Original post by Cubone-r
Brick laying is not an easy job and it is an essential one. People go to FE college to learn the trade so they can get employed by a construction company. Usually they will be training/shadowing bricklayers whilst completing their course and most of the time they will have a job waiting for them at the end of it.

Trades such as bricklaying can also lead you into more skilled jobs such as stonemasonry.

It's quite a secure job because for long as humans seek shelter from the elements bricklayers and stonemasons will always be required. Also, there is currently a trade shortage in the UK, so there wages are going up and up each year.

Further, according to Adzuna, the average wage of a bricklayer is £33,362; which is nothing to be sniffed at. This is 3.8% above the national average advertised salary of £32,125. Additionally, year-on-year pay for Bricklayer jobs has gone up 9.8% year-on-year, compared to an annual change of -2.5% for all jobs.
https://www.adzuna.co.uk/jobs/salaries/bricklayer

aye +1 laddy, my dad did it :colondollar:
aye +1 laddy, my dad did it :colondollar:

Nothing to be ashamed of. My partner's dad is a joiner and her step-dad is a stonemason - also, a lot of my school friends went in to the trade.

A lot of people looked down upon my friends at the time, but now they're living more than comfortable lives whilst those same people now struggle to find work and are still living at home with their parents.
Original post by Trinculo
Brick laying isn't easy

It is.
Original post by Spratty
It is.

Are you a bricklayer?
Original post by Spratty
It is.

pfft no it's not have you ever done it? If it was so easy Donald Trump would build his towers himself.

Quick Reply

Latest