The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Personal statement for LSE History advice??

My PS is a good standard e.g. showing enthusiasm in the subject through reading,lectures etc...

However, I wasn't considering LSE before and I have heard that it is supposed to be different? Someone said its meant to be more modern/global history, is this true?
Reply 1
This is a good question. Please allow me to recommend asking in this forum:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4705646&p=73340214&page=2&highlight=#post73340214

Original post by SuperHuman98
My PS is a good standard e.g. showing enthusiasm in the subject through reading,lectures etc...

However, I wasn't considering LSE before and I have heard that it is supposed to be different? Someone said its meant to be more modern/global history, is this true?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I'm sure you've already checked the website but just in case http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2018/BA-History has a personal statement section under the assessing your application tab :smile:
Original post by smegsxo
I'm sure you've already checked the website but just in case http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2018/BA-History has a personal statement section under the assessing your application tab :smile:

Good hint. You ignore the advice in there at your own risk. Follow the advice and your chances will be significantly better.
Reply 4

Yeah I got into LSE for History mostly on the basis of my personal statement (GCSE's were lacking) so I can help out here.

Just message me if you want.

I mean I did focus on international history in my personal statement, but I didn't do that in a contrived way - that was my favourite topic of history at the time.
Reply 5
Original post by MJlover
Yeah I got into LSE for History mostly on the basis of my personal statement (GCSE's were lacking) so I can help out here.

I mean I did focus on international history in my personal statement, but I didn't do that in a contrived way - that was my favourite topic of history at the time.

How is it, do you enjoy your course/the people/living there (or if you commute?)

You can talk about less recent history - they have a module on Europe in the 1400s-1600s in first year, so it's fine to show your interest in this period.

However, as most LSE history modules are 18th/19th century onwards, with a large majority focusing on the 20th century, you also need to demonstrate your interest in this period.
Original post by MJlover

Hello I am not quite sure how to do private message, so I am gonna comment here hope you don't mind:smile: I am a 2018 applicant and I have put in my history application for LSE, UCL, Kings, Durham and Warwick. LSE is definately my top, I am really interested in their history course as I personally love the 20th century history period. I know that LSE looks heavily upon your PS and I'd like to know my chances. I was wondering whether you still have a copy of your PS and be possible for me to have a look? or I can send in mine and you tell me what you think?

Thanks!!:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by goldyfish
Hello I am not quite sure how to do private message, so I am gonna comment here hope you don't mind:smile: I am a 2018 applicant and I have put in my history application for LSE, UCL, Kings, Durham and Warwick. LSE is definately my top, I am really interested in their history course as I personally love the 20th century history period. I know that LSE looks heavily upon your PS and I'd like to know my chances. I was wondering whether you still have a copy of your PS and be possible for me to have a look? or I can send in mine and you tell me what you think?

Hi, do you have an email I can send you my personal statement through? :smile: Best of luck with your application
Original post by goldyfish

Hi sorry for the long reply, I won't send my PS to you or ask you to send yours to mine :tongue:. Because I believe the best PS need to be personal to you and mine might give too much inspiration. Although, I can give you some advice :smile:.

I am at the further assessment stage of my LSE application.

For PS...:
Make sure you mention books, and also write something insightful about what you read.

You won't have this problem because you say you really like 20th century which is good because a lot of LSE's course is modern International History. Although, in my PS I think I got away with writing about the Islamic Empire in 630-700 :biggrin:. So tbh I don't think it has to be 100% modern international history because they understand you are applying for other unis, just make sure you demonstrate appropriate enthusiasm for international history I did this through writing about the Islamic Empire and American Rev/British Empire.

I personally did not mention my A-Levels (focused on my love for history/study outside of school), and only did a tiny bit on Extracurricular. But that is your choice as my school for some reason advised everyone to write about "skills" and their "a-levels". Which I disagree with.
Original post by MJlover
Hi, do you have an email I can send you my personal statement through? :smile: Best of luck with your application

It's [email protected]

Thank you!!:smile:
Hi sorry for the long reply, I won't send my PS to you or ask you to send yours to mine :tongue:. Because I believe the best PS need to be personal to you and mine might give too much inspiration. Although, I can give you some advice :smile:.

I am at the further assessment stage of my LSE application.

For PS...:
Make sure you mention books, and also write something insightful about what you read.

You won't have this problem because you say you really like 20th century which is good because a lot of LSE's course is modern International History. Although, in my PS I think I got away with writing about the Islamic Empire in 630-700 :biggrin:. So tbh I don't think it has to be 100% modern international history because they understand you are applying for other unis, just make sure you demonstrate appropriate enthusiasm for international history I did this through writing about the Islamic Empire and American Rev/British Empire.

I personally did not mention my A-Levels (focused on my love for history/study outside of school), and only did a tiny bit on Extracurricular. But that is your choice as my school for some reason advised everyone to write about "skills" and their "a-levels". Which I disagree with.

Hi thanks for the reply!! I really appreciate it:smile:

I submitted my application at the beginning of November, and LSE sent me an email on the 4th of Dec saying that its in further assessment. I wanted to see people's PS purely to judge my chances of getting in, not really for inspiration as I have already completed my PS:biggrin:

My PS is purely 20th century history, I am pretty keen for LSE haha. And because the other unis don't looks as deeply into your PS, I decided to put all the focus of my PS on modern history, which LSE likes...

I do agree, I did not mention any A-levels at all, as I think that PS its about what you have done outside school, not really what you have covered within the curriculum. I also only had 3 lines for extra-curricular because I was so out of space at the end:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending