The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Polish student, living in England but want to study in Scotland (uni)

Hi,
I am a polish student studying IT in college at the moment (2nd year). In December, it will be 3 years since I live in England with my parents. My question is - if I would like to study in uni Scotland, will I be considered as UK or EU student? Thank you very much for all of the responses & help. Kevin
Reply 1
I'm assuming you have a Polish passport, not a UK one.

You will be classed as an EU student.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by eden3
I'm assuming you have a Polish passport, not a UK one.

You will be classed as an EU student.

Don't most unis class both EU and UK students as "home" students, for financial reasons? So someone from the EU and UK should have the same tuition fees for example.
Reply 3
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
Don't most unis class both EU and UK students as "home" students, for financial reasons? So someone from the EU and UK should have the same tuition fees for example.

Yes this is exactly correct - so OP has nothing to worry about, regardless. He won't be classed as an international student.
Reply 4
Original post by eden3
Yes this is exactly correct - so OP has nothing to worry about, regardless. He won't be classed as an international student.

So, in that case - will my tuition fees will be £9250 like for RUK student (I would move over to Scotland and live and study here permamently), £1850 like for EU student or free? That is the most important thing that I am really curious about. Thanks a lot for your responses.
Reply 5
Original post by kevolsawol
So, in that case - will my tuition fees will be £9250 like for RUK student (I would move over to Scotland and live and study here permamently), £1850 like for EU student or free? That is the most important thing that I am really curious about. Thanks a lot for your responses.

I was not aware about university fees being cheaper in Scotland - I think you will be paying £1820 per year for tuition fees.

To classify as a Scottish student (i.e. to be eligible for free tuition fees) you must have lived in Scotland for at least 3 years prior to your degree, which you have not.

Check out this link:

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/university-tuition-fees-and-financial-support/if-you-come-from-scotland/
(edited 6 years ago)

Max in Scotland is £1820. That should be the max for you as well.
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/university-tuition-fees-and-financial-support/non-uk-eu-students/
That link provides an overview for students that are citizens of the EU, EEA and Swiss citizens.
From University of Edinburgh

Your tuition fee status may be:

Home-Scotland/EU (Scotland and European Union countries)

Home-RUK (England, Wales and Northern Ireland)

Overseas (the rest of the world)

Your tuition fee status is determined by:

your nationality

the country where you normally live - where you are 'ordinarily resident'.

Reply 8
(edited 6 years ago)
Check out the SAAS website for eligibility, EU students pay Scottish tuition fees (around £1800) , rest-of-UK students (usually) pay UK fees in Scotland.
Reply 10
Thank you guys for help, I guess it will be £1820 but I will contact SAAS to be completely sure Thanks!!!
What was the case as I am also polish and intrested in studying in Scotland ?
Original post by juuuliiia
What was the case as I am also polish and intrested in studying in Scotland ?

Scotland is no longer part of the EU and only current students who are EU nationals can stay on the home country rate until their studies are over (2-4th year applicants). Therefore new applicants will have to pay the new rate.

Here is the info at Uuniversity of Aberdeen:

New EU undergraduate students commencing their studies from September 2021 will be classified as International students for the purpose of tuition fees. In order to help mitigate the impact of Brexit the University has announced a new Undergraduate EU Scholarship.

EU Students who started their study during or prior to the 2020/21 academic year, and who have been classed as eligible for the Home tuition fee rate, will remain classified as eligible for this rate for the duration of their studies.

Sorry but this is the reality now.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Shaqiloheal
Scotland is no longer part of the EU and only current students who are EU nationals can stay on the home country rate until their studies are over (2-4th year applicants). Therefore new applicants will have to pay the new rate.

Here is the info at Uuniversity of Aberdeen:

New EU undergraduate students commencing their studies from September 2021 will be classified as International students for the purpose of tuition fees. In order to help mitigate the impact of Brexit the University has announced a new Undergraduate EU Scholarship.

EU Students who started their study during or prior to the 2020/21 academic year, and who have been classed as eligible for the Home tuition fee rate, will remain classified as eligible for this rate for the duration of their studies.

Sorry but this is the reality now.

it depends, if they also live in England or anywhere in the UK, they can apply for settled/pre-settled status, in which case they'd still be paying home fees
Original post by Anonymous
it depends, if they also live in England or anywhere in the UK, they can apply for settled/pre-settled status, in which case they'd still be paying home fees

If they live in England they wouldstill have to pay the 9k per year fees. Scotland we claim SAAS for our studies.
Original post by Shaqiloheal
If they live in England they wouldstill have to pay the 9k per year fees. Scotland we claim SAAS for our studies.

yeah, I meant home UK fees (whether it's £2K or £9K) as opposed to international (£19K or so)
Hi everyone!

My name is Livi and I'm part of the Enquiry Team for the University of Aberdeen. I wanted to pop in and provide some clarification.

To start with, your fee status depends on various factors, such as whether you have settled/pre-settled status and where you’ve been a resident for the 3 years leading up to your studies. UKCISA, UK Council for International Student Affairs, share guidance on fee regulations and case law through their website: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Scotland-fee-status-for-students-starting-from-August-2021

If you choose to apply, your application will include information that will help our academic selectors to determine your fee status. We will contact you if further information is required and let you know once we’ve come to a decision.

I hope that helps!
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi,
I am a polish student studying IT in college at the moment (2nd year). In December, it will be 3 years since I live in England with my parents. My question is - if I would like to study in uni Scotland, will I be considered as UK or EU student? Thank you very much for all of the responses & help. Kevin

It's a little bit tricky. Having UK based level 3 qualifications (college - like you said) would normally mean you will be classed as a UK student. However, it might depend on whether or not you have a settled/pre-settled status.
Original post by Mara1680
It's a little bit tricky. Having UK based level 3 qualifications (college - like you said) would normally mean you will be classed as a UK student. However, it might depend on whether or not you have a settled/pre-settled status.

the post is 4 years old !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending