The Student Room Group

I want to join the raf after ive finished sixth form and become a pilot

Will i have to kill people? How likely is it i wl have to kill someone and will i be doing air strikes in syria and afghanistan etc. Is it a good idea to join the raf if i dont want to kill anyone

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I heard if you want to be an raf pilot you need a degree in physics or something similar.

If you don't wanna kill anyone then don't join it. You never know what happens.
If you don't want to kill people then stay out of the military. How you feel about taking a life is something that will be asked very early in the interview process.

Best to go to university first, airline pilots definitely require a BSc in Physics or something similar.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Will i have to kill people? How likely is it i wl have to kill someone and will i be doing air strikes in syria and afghanistan etc. Is it a good idea to join the raf if i dont want to kill anyone

Amy member of the Armed Forces has to come to terms with the fact that their actions could lead to the deaths of people, through action sanctioned by the Government of the day. If you can't come to terms with that, if it would prevent you doing the job, then don't do it.

Original post by storm95
I heard if you want to be an raf pilot you need a degree in physics or something similar.

Original post by Perksy121
If you don't want to kill people then stay out of the military. How you feel about taking a life is something that will be asked very early in the interview process.

Best to go to university first, airline pilots definitely require a BSc in Physics or something similar.

No degree necessary at all, for either civilian or military pilot. It is true that most will have degrees, but that's not the same thing as needed.
Hope you have perfect eyesight.
Original post by Drewski
Amy member of the Armed Forces has to come to terms with the fact that their actions could lead to the deaths of people, through action sanctioned by the Government of the day. If you can't come to terms with that, if it would prevent you doing the job, then don't do it.

No degree necessary at all, for either civilian or military pilot. It is true that most will have degrees, but that's not the same thing as needed.

Ah ok, my bad. Can't say I've met a direct entry civilian pilot (i.e. Not ex RAF/RNAS) without some kind of physics or aeronautical degree though, I imagine it can only help given how competitive the training programs with the major airlines must be!
Reply 6
Ah ok, my bad. Can't say I've met a direct entry civilian pilot (i.e. Not ex RAF/RNAS) without some kind of physics or aeronautical degree though, I imagine it can only help given how competitive the training programs with the major airlines must be!

I'd be very impressed if you've met any ex-RNAS pilots!*

And yes, that's basically the case. I know plenty of both and the majority are degree holders, but the minimum requirement for the RAF is 2 A levels. To get into something like Oxford aviation or CTC wings you don't tend to need to a degree, just need to be able to pay enough...

*I'm being facetious, don't worry. The RNAS hasn't existed since 1918
Original post by Drewski
*I'm being facetious, don't worry. The RNAS hasn't existed since 1918

Haha! Damn, that's an embarrassing mistake for a sailor to make!!! Even a civi sailor! Guess I should stick to my surface ships and stop bothering myself with these fancy flying machines!
Reply 8
Good to see the "perfect eyesight" and "you need to be an astrophysicist" are still doing the rounds.

The Army will take you with a few GCSEs, a criminal record and a requirement to wear spectacles when flying.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski

A degree can put you an advantage amongst the hundreds of applications
Original post by storm95
A degree can put you an advantage amongst the hundreds of applications

Yes.

But that's very obviously not the same thing as "you must have one", which is what the previous posts were suggesting.
Original post by storm95

Please don't post about what you've 'heard', post about what you know for sure.
Original post by DarthRoar
Please don't post about what you've 'heard', post about what you know for sure.

ok officer pls dont shoot me
Original post by storm95

You can be a pilot in the RAF without a degree at all and just passing your a levels if you pass their aptitude tests and officer selections and stuff

No degree is needed for commercial or military, also the likelihood of him killing anyone is very low, fighter pilots need to be in the top 5% of their elementary flying course, it's more likely he'd be a transport pilot, either fixed wing or rotary wing.
Reply 15
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
No degree is needed for commercial or military, also the likelihood of him killing anyone is very low, fighter pilots need to be in the top 5% of their elementary flying course, it's more likely he'd be a transport pilot, either fixed wing or rotary wing.

Where did you get the 5% figure from?
fighter pilots need to be in the top 5% of their elementary flying course, it's more likely he'd be a transport pilot, either fixed wing or rotary wing.

Nope.
Original post by Drewski
Nope.

Umm yes, I completed the flying selection test a few weeks ago and inquired then, but I decided to wait until after uni. The vast majority of RAF pilots are transport pilots.
(edited 6 years ago)
Umm yes, I completed the flying selection test a few weeks ago and inquired then, but I decided to wait until after uni.

Umm no.

A- there is no 'flying selection test' for the RAF.
B- you go where the service needs you, and secondly where you choose.

If at the end of your EFT course there are 9 vacancies in the FJ fleet and 2 vacancies in the RW fleet, guess what, top 9 are going FJ. If the situation is reversed, then someone who's nominally in that 'top5', gets placed in a different stream.

The "top 5%" might be a nice line, but it's rarely that simple.

Source: I was in the RAF.
Reply 19
50% of the RAF students from my EFT were streamed FJ.

20% went RW and 30% ME.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest