The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by khookie
Thank you :smile: What year are you in now?

I'm about to start year 2!

I just wanted to add that if you have any doubts with PBL vs lecture-based courses, don't worry about it too much. Before starting I would have preferred a lecture based course as I thought that PBL would be too difficult with the lack of "spoon feeding". Now, I'm soooo glad the course here is PBL. Sitting in a lecture theatre from 9 to 5 every day sounds like torture!
Original post by Mehhhh
I'm about to start year 2!

I just wanted to add that if you have any doubts with PBL vs lecture-based courses, don't worry about it too much. Before starting I would have preferred a lecture based course as I thought that PBL would be too difficult with the lack of "spoon feeding". Now, I'm soooo glad the course here is PBL. Sitting in a lecture theatre from 9 to 5 every day sounds like torture!

Thanks for clearing this up! But isn't the experience dependant on the PBL group or facilitator I have?
Reply 82
Original post by Pradipta
Thanks for clearing this up! But isn't the experience dependant on the PBL group or facilitator I have?

Not so much really! The main purpose of your PBL group is to share information at the end of the week, and the tutor can help with that if they are able to (some may lack the knowledge to help). If you happen to have a rubbish PBL group and/or tutor, it wouldn't really make much of a difference as long as your notes are up to scratch. For me, the PBL group discussions feel more like a quick revision session for that week rather than a serious note taking session. Besides, I haven't heard of anyone ever having a problem with their PBL group (maybe 1 or 2 members at most).
Original post by Banshee123
There are no other threads that I can find which answer my questions for applications in dentistry. Would these GCSE's suffice.

Are my GCSE results good enough for denta lc uorcses

Maths:A*
English Language:A/7
English Literature:B/6
Geography:A
R.E:A
Biology:A
Chemistry:A
Physics:A
History:B
Further Maths:B
P.E: C

Thank you, (I'm lacking in A*'s, but I was wondering whether I dentistry universities would allow a biology resit as I was very ill for the last two biology exams).

You only need a minimum of 6 A's and A*s to apply so yh that should be fine :smile:
Original post by Citizens
Hi,I got 9A*S, 2As and a B on my IGCSES.However, my AS grades were not as good as I got ABBB.Considering I get AAA predicted grades for A-level, should I consider Manchester as one of my options? If not, what other unis do you suggest with my current stats?

Yes, you should consider Manchester if you get predicted AAA at A level

What did you get on the UKCAT?
Reply 85
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
You only need a minimum of 6 A's and A*s to apply so yh that should be fine :smile:

hi can i ask please.. if a score is in the 7th decile, so average ukcat 660, GCSE's 9A* and 2A.. do i have a chance...because the cut off last year was 653.. , what exactly does the cutoff mean anyway..does that mean that if you get 653 or more, and your academics are good you are pretty much guaranteed an interview, or does that mean the lowest UKCAT score they interviewed was 653..

also they seem to suggest they look at the top 1/3 of UKCAT scores, isnt that the 8th decile and above ?
Original post by baycray
hi can i ask please.. if a score is in the 7th decile, so average ukcat 660, GCSE's 9A* and 2A.. do i have a chance...because the cut off last year was 653.. , what exactly does the cutoff mean anyway..does that mean that if you get 653 or more, and your academics are good you are pretty much guaranteed an interview, or does that mean the lowest UKCAT score they interviewed was 653..

also they seem to suggest they look at the top 1/3 of UKCAT scores, isnt that the 8th decile and above ?

Hey

yes you definitely have a chance!

If you meet the cut off then you will receive an interview as long as your NAI form looks good. They only reject a few applicants by looking at their NAI form (still tho make it as good as possible :wink:)

If you're below the 7th decile then they look at your application as a whole to decide whether to give you an interview
Reply 87
Thanks
Hi Sikh Surgeon. I received my AS grades recently, and I took 3 subjects - Biology, Physics and Chemistry. I missed an 'a' in Physics by one mark and hence I want to repeat all component of Physics in my A2. So should I include my AS grades in my UCAS application?

Secondly, where do I put my predicted A level grades in the UCAS application? Are they included in the reference letter or is it a separate document?
Hey

yes you definitely have a chance!

If you meet the cut off then you will receive an interview as long as your NAI form looks good. They only reject a few applicants by looking at their NAI form (still tho make it as good as possible :wink:)

If you're below the 7th decile then they look at your application as a whole to decide whether to give you an interview

What is an NAI form?
Original post by Jasir Alam
What is an NAI form?

It's like a personal statement, but it's split into 4 sections; Experience in a Caring Role, Hobbies and Interests, Team Working and Motivation for Medicine.

The following link will tell you everything you need to know about the NAI form. At the bottom of the page there's also a link to the form itself :smile:

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/medicine/study/undergraduate/apply/non-academic/
Hi Sikh Surgeon. I received my AS grades recently, and I took 3 subjects - Biology, Physics and Chemistry. I missed an 'a' in Physics by one mark and hence I want to repeat all component of Physics in my A2. So should I include my AS grades in my UCAS application?

Secondly, where do I put my predicted A level grades in the UCAS application? Are they included in the reference letter or is it a separate document?

Sorry I didn't read this message :colondollar:

Definitely include your AS grades on your UCAS application!

Yes the predicted grades go with the reference
Sorry I didn't read this message :colondollar:

Definitely include your AS grades on your UCAS application!

Yes the predicted grades go with the reference

Thank you so much! So basically my Chemistry teacher who is writing my reference can include it in the reference right?

Do we need 1 reference or 2 references for Medicine applications?
Another thing, does my teacher write the predicted grades for all the subjects in the reference letter or only the subject that he teaches?
Another thing, does my teacher write the predicted grades for all the subjects in the reference letter or only the subject that he teaches?

Yes your chemistry teacher can include it in their reference
You only need one reference

At my college my subject teachers wrote a small paragraph about me and predicted me a grade. They then sent this information to my form tutor who put all the paragraphs and predicted grades together to form the reference. I'm not sure how it works at your college so it's best to ask your form tutor if you're unsure
Yes your chemistry teacher can include it in their reference
You only need one reference

At my college my subject teachers wrote a small paragraph about me and predicted me a grade. They then sent this information to my form tutor who put all the paragraphs and predicted grades together to form the reference. I'm not sure how it works at your college so it's best to ask your form tutor if you're unsure

Predicted 3 A's 660 UKCAT 1A* 9A's but dont know if I'm in top 30% probably not lol
Sorry if this has been asked before but, do applicants start with clean state at the interview?
Original post by Hdheimdnbf
Predicted 3 A's 660 UKCAT 1A* 9A's but dont know if I'm in top 30% probably not lol

I got 663 last year and that was bang on 70%

Just wait for the preliminary results to come out in a couple of days and then check whether your score is high enough. You can still apply if its not in the top 30% as they invite about 300-500 applicants who get a score below 70%
I got 663 last year and that was bang on 70%

Just wait for the preliminary results to come out in a couple of days and then check whether your score is high enough. You can still apply if its not in the top 30% as they invite about 300-500 applicants who get a score below 70%

Were preliminary similar to real deciles last year?
Original post by ArcaneMists
Sorry if this has been asked before but, do applicants start with clean state at the interview?

Manchester give you a score for interview and then make a cut off for an offer. If you're very close to the cut off they will (most likely) look at your application as a whole

Latest

Trending

Trending