The Student Room Group

How much stuff will you be taking/did you take to uni?

In terms of boxes, bags, suitcases... :biggrin:
I feel like I might be taking too much......
I've moved every year for uni, I'm currently on my 6th flat.

I take less every year. This time I left the country, so I had only two suitcases and a rucksack. If you have one place you're confident you'll be for a long time then absolutely, take it all, but if you're moving into dorms or halls, eh, don't bother. A laptop is the key to a world of entertainment, so as long as you've got enough clothing, and a few mementoes from home, the rest is just dead weight you'll really regret next year, haha.
Original post by axc5
In terms of boxes, bags, suitcases... :biggrin:
I feel like I might be taking too much......

I'm going into first year next week and all my stuff fits in two suitcases.
Reply 3
Man I feel like I'm overpacking or something.
I have 2 bags (they're pretty small) worth of bedding + blankets/pillows etc.
2 boxes of kitchen stuff (including dry foods)
1 box worth of bathroom stuff (including my shampoo and shower gel)
1 bag + 1 box worth of important documents and books
1 large suitcase
1 small suitcase (so I can take some clothes home)
One small box for my makeup and hair products (like argon oil)
And my A1 Drawing board 🤷🏻*♀️

I might as well be moving out of my own house permanently.
My Laptop, clothing, bathroom related stuff(Toothbrush, Mouthwash, Shampoo), colognes, deodorants and hair gels.

PS: Moved to University Life :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Everything. Literally just come back from my placement year (slightly different to uni, you have slightly less stuff as you don't have textbooks and notes and stuff) but it literally took me two car journeys to get it all back (although I don't have a particularly big car) and my room at my parents house is now crammed full of stuff.
Too much stuff to be honest. most of its kitchen stuff... I just really like cooking.
My learning process went a little something like this:

1st Year: Not Enough - Room looked really bare
2nd Year: WAY too much
3rd Year: Just enough

Just remember, if you're moving away to uni this Summer and you're in Halls, chances are there'll already be a toaster and a kettle, and someone else will undoubtedley have an iron (not that I ever used mine). That, and you accumulate a lot of stuff over a year
(edited 6 years ago)
Far too much stuff! I think it comes to, 2 suitcases, 2 IKEA bags, 2 medium boxes, 1 underbed storage box and a few loose bits like a TV, a printer and pillows.
Reply 9
A lot! I've got one big box + one big Aldi bag of kitchen stuff, one big box of bathroom stuff, one huge box of bedroom stuff, one small box for photos etc i want to put up on the wall, one big Primark bag for my bedding covers + cushions + blankets, one small box for medicines, one box for random bits, one big bag which I dont even know whats inside, another big Aldi bag with bedroom things, a huge Next bag with all my makeup and skin care and cosmetics etc and mirror in it.

So in total: 3 big boxes, 3 small boxes, 5 big bags + loose bits like my bedding, my printer, speakers, bathroom rug, bedroom rug, my roller skates, a small drying rack.

Then I still need to do some dry food shopping which will probably take up another 3-4 small boxes.

good luck me on the move in day :colonhash:
Reply 10
Original post by yaaaas
A lot! I've got one big box + one big Aldi bag of kitchen stuff, one big box of bathroom stuff, one huge box of bedroom stuff, one small box for photos etc i want to put up on the wall, one big Primark bag for my bedding covers + cushions + blankets, one small box for medicines, one box for random bits, one big bag which I dont even know whats inside, another big Aldi bag with bedroom things, a huge Next bag with all my makeup and skin care and cosmetics etc and mirror in it.

So in total: 3 big boxes, 3 small boxes, 5 big bags + loose bits like my bedding, my printer, speakers, bathroom rug, bedroom rug, my roller skates, a small drying rack.

Then I still need to do some dry food shopping which will probably take up another 3-4 small boxes.

good luck me on the move in day :colonhash:

forgot about my clothes - 2 huge boxes + one bag + a box for my underwear + a backpack
I basically took a van load of stuff, it cost me £330 to move up from London to Manchester.

I really didn't need all of it but it definitely made me feel at home in halls and second year.
I have just finished packing and I have so much.- one very large bag of clothes and kitchen stuff- two rucksacks of climbing gear- one bag of beding - small bag of books and my laptop - and one small box of bathroom things. The problem will be trying to get it all home again!
This puts things into perspective. I have:

under bed box half filled with heavy art supplies (art student! definitely my biggest/heaviest box apart from my pc)
under bed box with winter clothes plus tech
lidl bag for kitchen stuff
lidl bag for bedding plus towels
three very small boxes with 1. hair supplies 2. ear plus 3. tea making apparatus (very important)
computer
monitor
plant, plant, three tiny plants

Stuff I still need to pack: most of my wardrobe, makeup, bathroom supplies, shoes, random bits and bobs that I use everyday. I will pack these 2 days before I move, into one suitcase, because it's still a week until I leave!

It sounds like a lot but it would all easily fit into the back seat of a car :smile:
I always take everything i own as leaving stuff at home isnt very practical for me since i dont have a bedroom of sorts anymore and yeh
Tbf im not hugely materialistic so most of it is just clothes and food and practical stuff
I could fit everything into a suitcase.

You don't need the kitchen sink and everything else; a lot of it can be bought when you get there.
Reply 16
I packed up me troubles in me aul kit bag.
A cardboard box maybe 50x40x30 cm of documents, kitchen stuff, bathroom stuff.
2 laundry bags (they are ikea bags) that will have my bed stuff and clothes. (could maybe get away with one, haven't packed clothes yet)
A suit carrier that will have my suit in it
I'm taking my backpack and my shoulder bag and between them I'll stuff my laptop, keyboard, mouse, surface pro, my switch power bank, battery charger.
Somwhere in all that lot I'm going to fit my little electronics bag (it's a pencil case that looks like a cat, it's got rechargeable batteries and cables and stuff in it), my ifixit toolkit and pencil case.
For my room I'm talking a little alarm clock, a pen pot, an extension lead and one or maybe two plushies space permitting, they are a lot of packing space for not a lot of function.
That's everything I've decided on I think, don't know if I should take my violin.
1 box 2.5 bags and stuff I'm carrying on me. Not going in a suitcase because they just take up room for eight weeks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
I could fit everything into a suitcase.

You don't need the kitchen sink and everything else; a lot of it can be bought when you get there.

That's what I need to do, really- could you give me any advice on what to take and what to buy there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending