The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hdheimdnbf
Were preliminary similar to real deciles last year?

Nope

The score went down by 40 points... people usually do worse on the UKCST later on for some reason
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
Nope

The score went down by 40 points... people usually do worse on the UKCST later on for some reason

That's even better then so was 70th decile above 660 in September and then went down
That's even better then so was 70th decile above 660 in September and then went down

The 70th decile was well above 660 and then went down to 663
The 70th decile was well above 660 and then went down to 663

Ok so should I be scared if it's above 660 on friday. Do you remember what it was provisionally?
Ok so should I be scared if it's above 660 on friday. Do you remember what it was provisionally?

Nope... if you can try wait for the final results to come out

I didn't apply to Manchester until I saw the final results
Nope... if you can try wait for the final results to come out

I didn't apply to Manchester until I saw the final results

I'm doing the same any advice for NAI
Hey guys,

I know it's super duper early but i thought i'd set this up so that anyone who is hoping to apply for medicine at manchester this year can discuss any issues or get advice from fellow TSRians!

Now remember Manchester is PBL and supports your learning through lectures, early clinical placements, simulation sessions, anatomy dissection etc...

Also Manchester is a UKCAT heavy university. They have a UKCAT cut off for interview usually around the 60th - 70th percentile so you need to do well in your UKCAT!

So we can start by posting some stats...
Gcse: 7A* 2A 1B 1C

If anyone has any questions about manchester please post them... i might be able to answer some as i have already done some research into this university :smile:

What's the difference between a106 and a100 and I'm also a Sikh :biggrin:
I'm doing the same any advice for NAI

Be honest and only write about things that you will be confident to talk about because at interview there's a station which is all to do with your NAI form.

You can copy some things out of your personal statement (thats what I did) but its probably not a good idea to copy all of it down.
Be honest and only write about things that you will be confident to talk about because at interview there's a station which is all to do with your NAI form.

You can copy some things out of your personal statement (thats what I did) but its probably not a good idea to copy all of it down.

If I'm in top 30% does it matter if my GCSE's aren't amazing (1A* 9As) also was 653 top 70 last year?
Original post by msproject
What's the difference between a106 and a100 and I'm also a Sikh :biggrin:

for Manchester a106 is the course code for medicine and a100 is the course code for a different course

At most universities the course code for medicine is usually a100 but not for Manchester cuz Manchester's unique :wink:

Nice to know!! :biggrin:
for Manchester a106 is the course code for medicine and a100 is the course code for a different course

At most universities the course code for medicine is usually a100 but not for Manchester cuz Manchester's unique :wink:

Do I have to commumicate with the school for the reference letter or should I just directly communicate with my referee and let him do everything on his own without the school getting involved? Also, does the reference letter has to have the school sign/logo/header or is it not necessary?

When do the UKCAT final deciles come out? My application is more or less ready but I'm not sure when to send my application. Will I be advantaged if I send my application earlier?
Original post by Jasir Alam
Do I have to commumicate with the school for the reference letter or should I just directly communicate with my referee and let him do everything on his own without the school getting involved? Also, does the reference letter has to have the school sign/logo/header or is it not necessary?

When do the UKCAT final deciles come out? My application is more or less ready but I'm not sure when to send my application. Will I be advantaged if I send my application earlier?

Isnt your referee someone from college?

I dont know if ya need a logo

The final deciles come out early october... last it was the 7th oct i think

You could call the universities you're applying to to check whther you'll be disadvantaged if you apply later on... but i dont think you will be

Hey I'm applying to HYMS aswell any advice? Did you get an offer

I spoke directly to my referee, but he spoke to the university that I studied with regarding whether they had a buzzword that I could enter as a way of him accessing the reference or whether I should just enter his contact details so that he could do it by email.

Final deciles for UKCAT come out when testing is complete, so early October. An interim report comes out tomorrow, which gives details of how candidates have done so far. The interim report is a good guide, and in the past the decile scores have gone down a little in the final report as candidates sitting the test earlier have done a little better than those sitting their test later.

I don't think there is much advantage to be gained by submitting your application early as UKCAT universities will wait for the UKCAT results to be communicated to them at the start of November before they can start ranking students etc. That said, I've submitted my UCAS application and completed the Non Academic Information form so that it's done. The UKCAT interim report will give you a good idea of how competitive your score is, and if you have all the information you need at that point and your UCAS application is good to go then you may as well submit it. If you're UKCAT score is right at, or slightly below, the 7th decile then there is no harm waiting for the final UKCAT report to be issued so that you know exactly where you stand if that would influence your decision on whether to apply to Manchester.
Original post by Scruffy Jack
I spoke directly to my referee, but he spoke to the university that I studied with regarding whether they had a buzzword that I could enter as a way of him accessing the reference or whether I should just enter his contact details so that he could do it by email.

Final deciles for UKCAT come out when testing is complete, so early October. An interim report comes out tomorrow, which gives details of how candidates have done so far. The interim report is a good guide, and in the past the decile scores have gone down a little in the final report as candidates sitting the test earlier have done a little better than those sitting their test later.

I don't think there is much advantage to be gained by submitting your application early as UKCAT universities will wait for the UKCAT results to be communicated to them at the start of November before they can start ranking students etc. That said, I've submitted my UCAS application and completed the Non Academic Information form so that it's done. The UKCAT interim report will give you a good idea of how competitive your score is, and if you have all the information you need at that point and your UCAS application is good to go then you may as well submit it. If you're UKCAT score is right at, or slightly below, the 7th decile then there is no harm waiting for the final UKCAT report to be issued so that you know exactly where you stand if that would influence your decision on whether to apply to Manchester.

Thanks mate! So did your referee just enter his contact details, get an email and send the reference?
Thanks mate! So did your referee just enter his contact details, get an email and send the reference?

When you're filling out your UCAS form there is a section for your reference. If the university/college of your referee has a Buzzword then you enter your referees name and the Buzzword and they will then be able to enter your reference online through the college. If your referee does not know the colleges Buzzword or if they do not work for a college (e.g. employer) then you enter your referees name and contact details and your referee will receive an email regarding your reference, which they can then email through. You will see the ... symbol until UCAS receive the reference; once received it will change to a tick.

You will not see your reference via UCAS, but you can ask your referee if they would mind showing you what they intend to submit so that you are aware of what they have said about you.

Are you applying from school or are you a graduate/returning to education?
Original post by Scruffy Jack
When you're filling out your UCAS form there is a section for your reference. If the university/college of your referee has a Buzzword then you enter your referees name and the Buzzword and they will then be able to enter your reference online through the college. If your referee does not know the colleges Buzzword or if they do not work for a college (e.g. employer) then you enter your referees name and contact details and your referee will receive an email regarding your reference, which they can then email through. You will see the ... symbol until UCAS receive the reference; once received it will change to a tick.

You will not see your reference via UCAS, but you can ask your referee if they would mind showing you what they intend to submit so that you are aware of what they have said about you.

Are you applying from school or are you a graduate/returning to education?

Ahan I see. I am applying from school for undergrad Medicine but I just don't wish to involve my school in the application since I don't think they will write it well. One of my previous teachers in school who has now left may write it well, so I'm thinking to get it written by him privately. But I wasn't sure if that was okay to do.
Hey I'm applying to HYMS aswell any advice? Did you get an offer

Get the isc medical interviews book... it was very helpful for HYMS and pretty much al my other interviews

Once you've read through the book get someone (a friend or family member) to ask you some of the questions and try answering them

Don't memorize paragraphs otherwise at interview its gunna look rehearsed... Just try remember some key points about what you'll say for different questions so you dont go completely blank

And yes i got an offer :smile:
Get the isc medical interviews book... it was very helpful for HYMS and pretty much al my other interviews

Once you've read through the book get someone (a friend or family member) to ask you some of the questions and try answering them

Don't memorize paragraphs otherwise at interview its gunna look rehearsed... Just try remember some key points about what you'll say for different questions so you dont go completely blank

And yes i got an offer :smile:

What were your stats again?
What were your stats again?

Gcse 7A* 2A 1B 1C
As AAAA
UKCAT 663 band 2

Latest

Trending

Trending