The Student Room Group

retaking new A Level linear exams [URGENT]

I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION:

i got a B in economics on OCR and i decided to retake it but now i heard rumors that in the new A levels they do not carry over your best grade rathrt your LATEST grade.

Can anyone verify this please?
Original post by 105

i got a B in economics on OCR and i decided to retake it but now i heard rumors that in the new A levels they do not carry over your best grade rathrt your LATEST grade.

Yes. With the new system, you get your most recent grade, NOT your best one.

So, if you retake and get a C - You've forfeited your B grade.
Yeah this is true, in the new A levels your "AS" grade doesn't cash in meaning it won't count as part of your final grade however they will account towards predicted grades. But honestly even if this was still the old spec don't put your self through the hassle of retaking because this will have an effect on your other subjects and a B is an achievement. Put yourself at ease & don't stress you've done well to attain that B grade
Reply 3
Oh my God... i am so screwed. Its not too late to back out right?
Reply 4
Original post by Appio001
Yeah this is true, in the new A levels your "AS" grade doesn't cash in meaning it won't count as part of your final grade however they will account towards predicted grades. But honestly even if this was still the old spec don't put your self through the hassle of retaking because this will have an effect on your other subjects and a B is an achievement. Put yourself at ease & don't stress you've done well to attain that B grade

Thank you very much.

Only problem is at my 6th form a minimum requirement of 3 A levels are to needed to be studied if i wanted to retake. I personally would only prefer retaking my other 2 A levels
Reply 5
Its not too late to back out right? I mean iv only started going to lessons so i guess that means they haven't entered me into the exam.
Original post by 105
Its not too late to back out right? I mean iv only started going to lessons so i guess that means they haven't entered me into the exam.

Usually exams aren't officially entered for until like January. You should be fine, just let your college know you don't want to do it anymore.
Original post by 105

If you achieved a B in 2017, you have got a B. You will receive a certificate for the B. You will always have that B.
Please check with your teachers or contact your examiner directly before accepting that you would forfeit the B if you resit and achieve a lower grade. Nobody has provided you with any link to verify that understanding. I think they are wrong.
How an individual university might perceive a retake producing a lower grade is a different matter. If you have specific courses in mind then contact those universities for their advice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by gdunne42
If you achieved a B in 2017, you have got a B. You will receive a certificate for the B. You will always have that B.
Please check with your teachers or contact your examiner directly before accepting that you would forfeit the B if you resit and achieve a lower grade. Nobody has provided you with any link to verify that understanding. I think they are wrong.
How an individual university might perceive a retake producing a lower grade is a different matter. If you have specific courses in mind then contact those universities for their advice.

Thanks

I will check wid the exams office at my school and get back to you
Reply 9
oooo
Original post by 105
Thanks

I will check wid the exams office at my school and get back to you

My understanding is the same as @gdunne42 - effectively you end up with two grades.
Reply 11
Guys i have spoken to OCR and it seems like the horror stories was true lol.

If i retake and get a C this year then that means i have forfeited my B grade.
Reply 12
Original post by The Learn Ranger
My understanding is the same as @gdunne42 - effectively you end up with two grades.

I was hoping he was correct but it seems like its not. I guess that means i have no choice but to drop Economics and just pick up an AS

Thanks for your help guys

Appreciate it
:frown:
Original post by 105
I was hoping he was correct but it seems like its not. I guess that means i have no choice but to drop Economics and just pick up an AS

Thanks for your help guys

Appreciate it

I don't deal with OCR as my centre has their exams with AQA and Edexcel but all examiners in England follow the same rules.
I asked AQA to comment and this is what they wrote:

"If a student gets a lower grade in a resit they can still retain the higher initial grade. For example, If a student gets a B in the summer series then resits and gets a C the candidate technically has 2 certificated results and can choose which result to showcase on CVs/applications/interviews."

I don't know exactly what you said to OCR or what they said to you but there seems to be some miscommunication.

I recommend you ask your exams officer to check this out with their contacts at OCR before making a decision.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
I don't deal with OCR as my centre has their exams with AQA and Edexcel but all examiners in England follow the same rules.

"If a student gets a lower grade in a resit they can still retain the higher initial grade. For example, If a student gets a B in the summer series then resits and gets a C the candidate technically has 2 certificated results and can choose which result to showcase on CVs/applications/interviews."

I don't know exactly what you said to OCR or what they said to you but there seems to be some miscommunication.

I recommend you ask your exams officer to check this out with their contacts at OCR before making a decision.

Of course that is a possibility. I am waiting to hear a reply from them as they sent an email to OCR to confirm if this is the case
Reply 16

That is good to hear as it means I won't have to worry about my other linear subjects at AQA
Reply 17
So are you re-sitting yr 13 again?, and how arent you going to be 19 this year dont you have to pay to be in college.sixth form once you done it from 16-18

Quick Reply

Latest