The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Minor Subject Entry Requirements

Can you minor in a subject that is not related to what you studied at college/sixth form?

For example, if you studied Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A Level, can you minor in French? Or if you did a BTEC in Engineering at college, can you minor in History?

I did an Access Diploma in Computer Science and would like to minor in Maths but I don't know if this option is available to me as the general entry requirements for Maths require you to have studied it at A Level and achieved an A grade.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!
There will be minor-subject talks going on towards the end of welcome week that should explain the requirements for the various courses, however as you'll be doing first year maths modules I suspect you will need some level of maths.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by trickfinger
Can you minor in a subject that is not related to what you studied at college/sixth form?

For example, if you studied Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A Level, can you minor in French? Or if you did a BTEC in Engineering at college, can you minor in History?

I did an Access Diploma in Computer Science and would like to minor in Maths but I don't know if this option is available to me as the general entry requirements for Maths require you to have studied it at A Level and achieved an A grade.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

For maths you have to have A-level maths, it is a pretty difficult course. Did you do maths modules within your computer science course? If you didn't then it would be pretty unlikely that they would let you. There will be minor talks throughout freshers week, so attend the maths one and any others you may be interested in, just in case.

Subjects such as history and french, you can do without any pre-requisites. However, subjects such as chemistry, maths ect do require the A-level.
Original post by happyy
For maths you have to have A-level maths, it is a pretty difficult course. Did you do maths modules within your computer science course? If you didn't then it would be pretty unlikely that they would let you. There will be minor talks throughout freshers week, so attend the maths one and any others you may be interested in, just in case.

Subjects such as history and french, you can do without any pre-requisites. However, subjects such as chemistry, maths ect do require the A-level.

What little math we do in CS isn't enough to do 1st year maths modules without a very solid (i.e. A Level level) background in maths already.
Original post by happyy

Thanks for your reply. A third of my Computer Science course consisted of Maths modules but I am aware that it's probably not enough to prepare me for degree level maths. I'll attend the minor talks during freshers week though and see what's available to me.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending