The Student Room Group

Barts and the London- 2017 Entry Applicants for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Hi I just finished my UKCAT and my average is 678. Predicted A2s : A*A*A*A* . IGCSEs: 9A* 1A . Work experience: 1 week hospital , 1 week Carehome and 1 month disabled children . What do you think my chances are for BARTS?
Original post by Sahil_
Hi, I am a Barts offer holder for this year's admission cycle and AFAIK Barts do not really look at the personal statement when selecting for interview. They are more interested in your UKCAT score and are the only medical school that look at your UCAS tariff (https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables).

They put a 50:50 weighting on UCAS tariff and UKCAT, meaning if you have a low UCAS tariff, you will need a high UKCAT and vice versa. Here are some guidelines on what some good 50:50 weightings are from the Barts website. http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/Documents/admissions-2015-cycle.pdf

Hope this is of some help and feel free to ask me any questions :smile:

Hi I just finished my UKCAT and my average is 678. Predicted A2s : A*A*A*A* . IGCSEs: 9A* 1A . Work experience: 1 week hospital , 1 week Carehome and 1 month disabled children . What do you think my chances are for BARTS?
Original post by ash9911

Well done, that's a good set of stats! I'd say you're definitely in with a chance, though the only thing you seem to really be lacking is a prolonged period of volunteering in the medical industry. Give it a go, though, and good luck. Bart's is the best!!
Hey there I'm an international student ! I would love to apply to Barts for A100 but the UCAS tariff for people havin an interview is very high http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...ne--dentistry/

I got a ukcat of 705 B1 and predicted 4A*s in A levels. Do I stand a chance as I have UCAS tariff of 224 but last year the minimum for international students were 236?
Original post by Pradipta
Hey there I'm an international student ! I would love to apply to Barts for A100 but the UCAS tariff for people havin an interview is very high http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...ne--dentistry/

I got a ukcat of 705 B1 and predicted 4A*s in A levels. Do I stand a chance as I have UCAS tariff of 224 but last year the minimum for international students were 236?

The reason it's so high is because many of Bart's applicants are IB students, do you have any music or dance etc qualifications that could boost your tarif score? Still, I wouldn't discount Bart's as an option for you!
Original post by ep1999
The reason it's so high is because many of Bart's applicants are IB students, do you have any music or dance etc qualifications that could boost your tarif score? Still, I wouldn't discount Bart's as an option for you!

As I live outside the UK I don't have any qualifications that can be used for UCAS tariff except my A levels :frown:
Hey guys:
I'm sat on A*A*AA
UKCAT:745
Will this get me to the interview?
As I live outside the UK I don't have any qualifications that can be used for UCAS tariff except my A levels :frown:

How did you calculate the UCAS tariff? My A levels predicted are most probably A*AA and my UKCAT is 665 B3. Can you tell me my Tariff score?
Original post by Jasir Alam
How did you calculate the UCAS tariff? My A levels predicted are most probably A*AA and my UKCAT is 665 B3. Can you tell me my Tariff score?

Try Googling. U get 152
Try Googling. U get 152

I think you are using the old tariff system akhi! The tariff system has changed!
download (1).png
download (1).png

Worry not too much my friend. Just apply and pray hard! You will receive an offer! Check this link. The minimum Tariff they want is 144. It's also a 50:50 weighting.

www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/media/admissions-data-from-the-2016-admissions-cycle.pdf
Worry not too much my friend. Just apply and pray hard! You will receive an offer! Check this link. The minimum Tariff they want is 144. It's also a 50:50 weighting.

www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/media/admissions-data-from-the-2016-admissions-cycle.pdf

All the statistics are for UK eu students (scroll to the bottom completely) and according to the official link above ^ which I posted means that applying to Barts will prolly be a waste of a choice. Nevertheless, thanks for the positive thoughts!
All the statistics are for UK eu students (scroll to the bottom completely) and according to the official link above ^ which I posted means that applying to Barts will prolly be a waste of a choice. Nevertheless, thanks for the positive thoughts!

Yeah, it's your choice in the end anyways! Since, I am aiming for London because of several reasons, I will probably take an extra subject or two and boost my UCAS tariff. I mean you can just give an easy AS subject and take your Tariff from 224 to 240+. Anyways, best of Luck! May I know which country you are applying from?
Yeah, it's your choice in the end anyways! Since, I am aiming for London because of several reasons, I will probably take an extra subject or two and boost my UCAS tariff. I mean you can just give an easy AS subject and take your Tariff from 224 to 240+. Anyways, best of Luck! May I know which country you are applying from?

Bangladesh! wbu?
Bangladesh! wbu?

Wow, that's amazinggg!! I love Bangladeshi people haha. I do have a Bangladeshi history since my dad was born in Dhaka. But we are Indian residing in Saudi Arabia! Nice to know you! What is your name btw?
Wow, that's amazinggg!! I love Bangladeshi people haha. I do have a Bangladeshi history since my dad was born in Dhaka. But we are Indian residing in Saudi Arabia! Nice to know you! What is your name btw?

Thats great! My name is my username actually!
Thats great! My name is my username actually!

Oh haha really? I thought you had a different name perhaps. Which unis are you thinking of anyways? Have you finished your PS?
Hi everyone I applied for barts 2018 entry. I have a few questions for offer holders for 2017 entryFirstly, when do barts start inviting applicants for interview?Do they let you know if you have been rejected pre-interview or do you have to wait until the end of the interviewing period to know?Lastly, I got 658 average on my ukcat and 208 tariff points. Does I stand a chance?
Received my article for my BATL interview in exactly two weeks time!! Anyone else received theirs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending