The Student Room Group

Further maths as level

Is the 'start' of as further maths this f-ing difficult??? Did anyone else struggle with this (especially with the new spec) and will it get better???
Reply 1
I never took AS further Maths but I did take regular Maths. Honestly YES. You probably have a new teacher which you won't be used to their teacher style. But yeah maths is hard stuff. It will get better trust me, as the year goes on everything should fall into place and if it doesn't PLEASE ask your teacher for help.

I suggest making good notes and try to write EVERYTHING down. You can then look through your notes outside of class to really see whether the worked solutions make sense. If they don't then maybe go to your teacher lunch time or somewhen they're not teaching this way they can explain it one to one and it might make more sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes because further maths as will assume everything from normal maths AS so if there's stuff based on what you haven't done in normal maths yet- good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by SufferinStudent
Is the 'start' of as further maths this f-ing difficult??? Did anyone else struggle with this (especially with the new spec) and will it get better???

Yes it's common for students to find further maths very hard. How are you finding the regular maths content?

You need to try as best you can to become confident with every topic and don't ignore a topic if you're finding it too hard (this is a common). If you have to, ask your teacher / watch videos / ask in the TSR maths forum. And then try as many questions as you can. It's hard to say whether it will get better. The content will get harder but you may become more confident as time goes on and it could become easier for you.
It is a shame that at some schools not enough people take further maths to justify a different class where you do normal maths in a year then further which mitigates problem. I'm doing finding the roots of polynomials including the complex roots in fp1 atm but if I had been doing that topic even alongside the factorizing polynomial topic in c2, I wouldn't have got it.
Reply 5
Original post by black1blade
It is a shame that at some schools not enough people take further maths to justify a different class where you do normal maths in a year then further which mitigates problem. I'm doing finding the roots of polynomials including the complex roots in fp1 atm but if I had been doing that topic even alongside the factorizing polynomial topic in c2, I wouldn't have got it.

Actually a lot of schools that do have separate FM classes still decide to teach maths/FM in parallel. The content is designed to be taught in parallel so it does work. I'm more used to sequential delivery though like you.

For the new linear spec FM students who are learning maths/FM in parallel will have to revise all the content at the end of the two years, which is like revising for 12 modules all in one go! To me this sounds horrible but I'm told students used to do this back when A Levels were linear and they were able to cope. I'm still a bit apprehensive but that's probably because I'm just not used to it.
Original post by Notnek
Yes it's common for students to find further maths very hard. How are you finding the regular maths content?

You need to try as best you can to become confident with every topic and don't ignore a topic if you're finding it too hard (this is a common). If you have to, ask your teacher / watch videos / ask in the TSR maths forum. And then try as many questions as you can. It's hard to say whether it will get better. The content will get harder but you may become more confident as time goes on and it could become easier for you.

I'm finding the regular content so far alright :biggrin: and thank you for the advice!
Original post by black1blade
Yes because further maths as will assume everything from normal maths AS so if there's stuff based on what you haven't done in normal maths yet- good luck.

thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest