The Student Room Group

What are my chances?

Hi guys I am looking at studying psychology for 2018 entry, and am wondering if my GCSE results are going to be a big problem for my application. I am wanting to go to Durham(AAA) or Bath(A*AA) and am also looking at an Oxford application. My A level results were:
English Lang - A
Psychology - A
Sociology - A*

However in my GCSE's I only managed to achieve 6 Bs (English, Maths and Science +3), 2 Cs and 3Ds. This was way below my predicted straight As. I do have huge personal circumstances that really harmed my performance, but how much is this taken into consideration? Also would I possibly be better off applying to a less competitive course for example Sociology which is ABB/AAB?

Many thanks.
Original post by bornFizzle
Hi guys I am looking at studying psychology for 2018 entry, and am wondering if my GCSE results are going to be a big problem for my application. I am wanting to go to Durham(AAA) or Bath(A*AA) and am also looking at an Oxford application. My A level results were:
English Lang - A
Psychology - A
Sociology - A*

However in my GCSE's I only managed to achieve 6 Bs (English, Maths and Science +3), 2 Cs and 3Ds. This was way below my predicted straight As. I do have huge personal circumstances that really harmed my performance, but how much is this taken into consideration? Also would I possibly be better off applying to a less competitive course for example Sociology which is ABB/AAB?

Many thanks.

If you already have A2 grades I don't understand why you need to go for lower offers? Sure it's worth applying for them as well but their lower offers for A2 won't decide what they want for GCSE.
Reply 2
Your GCSE's mean pretty much nothing after you've done A-levels, you have English, Maths and Science at a "C or above", as most unis put it, so your GCSE's aren't going to hinder your application besides possibly Oxford.
Reply 3
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
If you already have A2 grades I don't understand why you need to go for lower offers? Sure it's worth applying for them as well but their lower offers for A2 won't decide what they want for GCSE.

For Psychology Bath say "GCSE Mathematics grade B or 6 plus GCSE English grade B or 6 (or equivalent from category A). We have a preference for candidates with strong previous academic achievement, for example, grade A or 7 in all relevant GCSEs, particularly Mathematics."
Durham say "We would advise applicants that it is an advantage to have higher level skills in Mathematics in order to help you deal with the statistical element of the programme. Although our minimum entry requirement for Mathematics is a Grade B minimum at GCSE or equivalent we prefer applicants to have achieved a Grade A or above."

As for Sociology they both just want C's in Maths.
Reply 4
English Lang - A
Psychology - A
Sociology - A*

Many thanks.

Actual A level results, or AS-level? If they are actual A-levels they are what mostly counts rather than your GCSEs. If your A-levels meet or exceed the typical requirements then there's no problem applying. But check you do meet any minimum GCSE requirements*

* For example, Oxford does specifically state "GCSEs: We would normally expect applicants, who have taken GCSEs, to have at least 4 A* grades in relevant subjects, and to have achieved an A*/A grade at GCSE level Mathematics." If you don't meet the Maths GCSE requirement you may be deselected. Contact Oxford to double-check before applying.

https://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/study/undergraduate_admissions/ugentryrequirements
Reply 5
For Psychology Bath say "GCSE Mathematics grade B or 6 plus GCSE English grade B or 6 (or equivalent from category A). We have a preference for candidates with strong previous academic achievement, for example, grade A or 7 in all relevant GCSEs, particularly Mathematics."
Durham say "We would advise applicants that it is an advantage to have higher level skills in Mathematics in order to help you deal with the statistical element of the programme. Although our minimum entry requirement for Mathematics is a Grade B minimum at GCSE or equivalent we prefer applicants to have achieved a Grade A or above."

As for Sociology they both just want C's in Maths.

Indeed. And universities tend to be strict about their minimum GCSE requirements. However it's always worth double-checking your specific situation with each university - especially if you have documented extenuating circumstances.

For example Cambridge has this (and also has a PBS course...):
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

And other universities will have something similar - even if it's not a formal form.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
So just go for it with psychology then?
Reply 7
Any other opinions would be great guys thanks
Reply 8
Any other opinions would be great guys thanks

Can you clarify if these are final A-level grades achieved and you are applying in a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Yeah they're my final a levels
Reply 10
Yeah they're my final a levels

So my comments apply. Especially with regard to asking your potential universities about your GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I have phoned Bath and Durham and they both say it is worth applying. Think Oxford may be out of the question though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending