The Student Room Group

Is 65 a good mark for first year?

Hi everyone,

I have just received my first year results today from a respectable institution.

Overall, I got a mark of 65. One of my six modules brought my average down - my best 5 equate to an average of 67.

I just feel really disappointed in myself that I didn't get a first. I know that I had quite serious adverse circumstances, however, with the amount of work that I put in, I know that I should have done better.

Is 65 an okay mark?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Tomm98
Hi everyone,

I have just received my first year results today from a respectable institution.

Overall, I got a mark of 65. One of my six modules brought my average down - my best 5 equate to an average of 67.

I just feel really disappointed in myself that I didn't get a first. I know that I had quite serious adverse circumstances, however, with the amount of work that I put in, I know that I should have done better.

Is 65 an okay mark?

I honestly feel like **** now. :frown:

Which subject? For example, in Maths that would probably be average, whereas English Lit.. on the higher end.

Does your first year count towards your overall grade? Because to me that shows signs of good potential, you just need to identify what didn't go so well and work on it. Seek feedback where possible.

I would be happy to graduate with a 2:1 :smile:
Depends on the subject, the uni, the modules you took. Probably looks fine to most people.
Reply 3
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Which subject? For example, in Maths that would probably be average, whereas English Lit.. on the higher end.

Does your first year count towards your overall grade? Because to me that shows signs of good potential, you just need to identify what didn't go so well and work on it. Seek feedback where possible.

I would be happy to graduate with a 2:1 :smile:

Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Depends on the subject, the uni, the modules you took. Probably looks fine to most people.

a First seems impossible for me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Tomm98
Is 65 an okay mark?

I honestly feel like **** now. :frown:

Being on track for a 2:1 or better is more than okay. Don't stress about getting a First, a strong 2:1 is great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Tomm98
I study History. My first year is formative, but I just feel that I worked so hard to get this that a First seems impossible for me.

How can it be "impossible" when you are just 5% away, and you had adverse circumstances...

Posted from TSR Mobile
So have answered four threads in the last 24 hours where people are worried about getting kicked out or are being asked to leave because they failed a resit i.e got less than 40%. having your studies end is something to worry about and get stressed about. I have every sympathy for them in what must be a stressful time.
Getting a mid 2;1 for something that doesnt matter, not so much... You can still get a first.
Reply 7
I got that mark for first and second year, as long as you show consistency or improvement within your grades across all your modules there is no reason why you can’t achieve a first or at least a strong 2:1 - which is a good degree classification to come out with.
Considering you had personal circumstances and still managed it is actually something to be proud of, most people would have got a 2:2 or at least had to resist a module.
It’s when the grades start to drastically fluctuate that you should worry - anything below a high 2:2 at this point will bring your grades down a lot so keep striving for those high 2:1s and firsts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending