The Student Room Group

English Literature

Hi, i'm currently planning on doing an essay for my A2 on Dracula and Wuthering heights. Is there any suggestion for which stance i should take and how.
Original post by MDO122
Hi, i'm currently planning on doing an essay for my A2 on Dracula and Wuthering heights. Is there any suggestion for which stance i should take and how.

Genre, perhaps? Romantic gothic versus fin de siecle gothic?
Yes I would say Gothic or something about society
Reply 3
Original post by Perfuddled
Genre, perhaps? Romantic gothic versus fin de siecle gothic?

Yeah i definitely had an interest into the gothic stance of both novels but how would it be compared
Or... maybe 'the Other' in Gothic fiction? Representations of the racial otherness of Heathcliff and Dracula?
Original post by MDO122
Yeah i definitely had an interest into the gothic stance of both novels but how would it be compared

What level is your course, and how long is the essay?
Reply 6
Original post by Perfuddled
What level is your course, and how long is the essay?

The level of my course is A2 and the essay has to be five thousand words.
Gender, perhaps? I didn't study Wuthering Heights, but I'm sure that female sexuality is a theme: she refuses to fulfill her wifely role, and in doing so becomes a sort of Lillith character (preceded Eve in Eden, but was expelled due refusing to lie under Adam). Does Brontë approve or disapprove of Cathy? In Dracula, there's the idea that what the men are really afraid of is female sexuality: the 'new woman' of the nineteenth century, sexually liberated and needing to be destroyed!! Just a random idea; sorry I can't be more help. good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest