The Student Room Group

British Airways plane bursts into flames

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pensioner-recounts-horrifying-moment-ba-11172675

Geoff Lye, who was travelling with his partner, said: "We just took off and there was a bang and it was the engine next to me.
"There was this huge noise and a judder, and then there were about six more bangs. It was one bang after another."
The BA plane flying from London to Athens was forced to turn back after the captain allegedly had to shut down the right engine.
Lye, 67, told The Evening Standard : “I’m an atheist but even I was praying. Our hearts were racing.
"Passengers behind me said they could see flames kicking out from the engine."

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lye, 67, told The Evening Standard : “I’m an atheist but even I was praying. Our hearts were racing.
Original post by Tawheed

Are we discussing the plane incident, or whether there are no atheists in foxholes?
Reply 3
Being an aviator, this is what I love about planes. No matter what the problem, it can always be handled. Hats off to the pilots who turned around and landed. I can go all aviation-ish and use posh terms here but I'm sure 95% of users on here won't understand a thing :rofl:
Original post by Hamoody
Being an aviator, this is what I love about planes. No matter what the problem, it can always be handled. Hats off to the pilots who turned around and landed. I can go all aviation-ish and use posh terms here but I'm sure 95% of users on here won't understand a thing :rofl:

why is the plane in the pic here, a small narrow body (a319? b737?) and the one in the article a widebody? (a330?)
Reply 5
Original post by homeland.lsw
why is the plane in the pic here, a small narrow body (a319? b737?) and the one in the article a widebody? (a330?)

The plane in the pic here is actually an A320, and the one in the article is of a B777. OP apparently googled out the image of an A320 on fire and got it from:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/404371/British-Airways-plane-allowed-to-fly-by-mistake

If I'm not mistaken, this incident took place on a B777. :yep:
Original post by Hamoody
The plane in the pic here is actually an A320, and the one in the article is of a B777. OP apparently googled out the image of an A320 on fire and got it from:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/404371/British-Airways-plane-allowed-to-fly-by-mistake

If I'm not mistaken, this incident took place on a B777. :yep:

a b777 to Athens? that's odd. guess it was the delays and cancellations. idrc now that I think about it. hope ur well btw.
Reply 7
Original post by The Epicurean
Are we discussing the plane incident, or whether there are no atheists in foxholes?

There's atheists in every foxhole and no theists, given war shows how non-existent man-made deities truly are to the blindly religious.
Reply 8
a b777 to Athens? that's odd. guess it was the delays and cancellations. idrc now that I think about it. hope ur well btw.

I really don't know why they'd use that image. No mention has been made so far of the aircraft type, but another news source showed up a B777 as well.

hope ur well btw.

Not too good, but managing fine :redface: Thanks for the concern, and you? :hugs:
Original post by The Epicurean

Original post by Tawheed

Even then, they're still atheists. Pretending to pray, or resorting to irrational actions in very desperate situations doesn't suddenly change your beliefs.
Reply 10
Original post by Tawheed
Lye, 67, told The Evening Standard : “I’m an atheist but even I was praying.
I think you'll find that "praying" here is just a metaphor for "really hoping I survive".
Or Pascal's Wager.
Or, to flip an oft used argument, he didn't really understand atheism/wasn't a "true atheist".

Take your pick.
Anywho, someone who rejects the concept of god due to lack of evidence doesn't suddenly find evidence just because their life is in danger. At best, all this demonstrates is that belief in god is just wishful thinking.
(edited 6 years ago)
If there was a God, then why would he put them in that situation in the first place? :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Hamoody
I can go all aviation-ish and use posh terms here but I'm sure 95% of users on here won't understand a thing :rofl:
Take-off
Earlier on
In-flight meal.

See, you're not the only one.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by SCIENCE :D
If there was a God, then why would he put them in that situation in the first place? :tongue:
He was "testing" them.
Like he "tests" all those millions of children that he kills every year through natural disasters & disease.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Even then, they're still atheists. Pretending to pray, or resorting to irrational actions in very desperate situations doesn't suddenly change your beliefs.

Exactly, when atheists or agnostics use the term "praying" for their survival, they usually mean hoping not to die lol. Kinda like when we say "oh god don't let it be true" or whatever, it's more a phrase not to be taken literally.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Exactly, when atheists or agnostics use the term "praying" for their survival, they usually mean hoping not to die lol. Kinda like when we say "oh god don't let it be true" or whatever, it's more a phrase not to be taken literally.

Exactly, but some theists like to make themselves feel better by telling themselves that everyone becomes a theist on their deathbed. Christopher Hitchens is an obvious example of such a person who said, while dying of cancer, that religion seemed even more hollow than before he became terminally ill.
Exactly, but some theists like to make themselves feel better by telling themselves that everyone becomes a theist on their deathbed. Christopher Hitchens is an obvious example of such a person who said, while dying of cancer, that religion seemed even more hollow than before he became terminally ill.

I can understand why some people might try turning to god in their lost moments but certainly not everyone does that and I suspect most that do are doing it purely out of fear because dying can cause people to become irrational / desperate.
Original post by QE2
He was "testing" them.
Like he "tests" all those millions of children that he kills every year through natural disasters & disease.

Yeah, like testing people by giving 4 year olds Leukemia.

Mortality is a top read.
Original post by Tawheed

Why do you feel the need to highlight that lmao someone being scared half to death isn't a debate about religion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending