The Student Room Group

Can I get into Oxbridge with these subjects for Computer Science?

I've just started Year 12 and I am doing A-level Maths, Chemistry and Physics and I just wanted to know if these subjects are suitable for Computer Science at Oxbridge. I know I will have to work my socks off to get the entry requirement grades but just wanted to know if they are suitable for the degree.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CashBlack
I've just started Year 12 and I am doing A-level Maths, Chemistry and Physics and I just wanted to know if these subjects are suitable for Computer Science at Oxbridge. I know I will have to work my socks off to get the entry requirement grades but just wanted to know if they are suitable for the degree.

Yes.

But I would question your commitment as you are unwillingly to do a simple Google search and look at the entrance requirements on their websites and figure it out yourself.
Reply 2
Probably better to have further maths in there, because oxbridge computer sciences are extremely maths-based and theoretical.

In fact, the Oxford course uses further maths as part of their offer (I just researched it). As you just recently started year 12, I'd recommend seeing if you can transfer to further maths?
Reply 3
Original post by Cubone-r
Yes.

But I would question your commitment as you are unwillingly to do a simple Google search and look at the entrance requirements on their websites and figure it out yourself.

I have... I got confused because it says further maths which I don't do..
Reply 4
Original post by Baaah
Probably better to have further maths in there, because oxbridge computer sciences are extremely maths-based and theoretical.

In fact, the Oxford course uses further maths as part of their offer (I just researched it). As you just recently started year 12, I'd recommend seeing if you can transfer to further maths?

It's arguably better to not do further maths than get a B or below in further maths. Maybe ask OP about his mathematical ability? I do agree though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Does your school offer Computer Science (asking in case, its sort of a dumb question I know because if he wanted to do Comp Sci he would have picked it if his school offered it.)?

It'd be good to have to see if its really for you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by AmmarTa
It's arguably better to not do further maths than get a B or below in further maths. Maybe ask OP about his mathematical ability? I do agree though.

Got an A* (8) in GCSE Maths but I don't want to take further maths
I have... I got confused because it says further maths which I don't do..

Oxford states for CompSci:

A-levels: A*AA with the A* in Mathematics, Further Mathematics or Computing/Computer Science

The A* must be in either Mathematics, FM, or Compsci - the other two subjects can be whatever as long as they are at an A grade.

Or am I misinterpreting it? Haha, see why you needed clarification. :laugh:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by usfbullz
Does your school offer Computer Science (asking in case)?

Nope they stopped the course for some dumb reason.
Reply 9

How good are you in maths?

I would kind of question your interest to study computer sciences at Oxbridge given you had a chance to pick further maths. Their course has A LOT of maths in it. Not wanting to take further maths gives me an indication that the Oxbridge courses are not for you.
Reply 10
Original post by Baaah

I would kind of question your interest to study computer sciences at Oxbridge given you had a chance to pick further maths. Their course has A LOT of maths in it. Not wanting to take further maths gives me an indication that the Oxbridge courses are not for you.

Okay
Reply 11
Original post by Baaah

It states required by SOME colleges - AS/A level Further Maths. It doesn't mean every single college at Cambridge will reject me just because I didn't do further maths. I am currently doing rigorous subjects which involve a lot of maths why would I be dumb enough and put more stress and workload in one of the hardest a-level subjects. I am fine sitting 3 maths paper at the end of year rather than an extra 4.
A-levels: A*AA with the A* in Mathematics, Further Mathematics or Computing/Computer Science

For Oxford.

Cambridge varies when I looked on the website.

But if you want to do Comp Sci + Maths, Further is required.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
For Oxford.

Cambridge varies when I looked on the website.

But if you want to do Comp Sci + Maths, Further is required.

Just want to do Computer Science alone.
Reply 14

If you don't want to do FM, you won't like Computer Science at Oxbridge.
Reply 15
Original post by alow
If you don't want to do FM, you won't like Computer Science at Oxbridge.

Nah I will stick to the subjects I am doing. I will prove you wrong.
Nah I will stick to the subjects I am doing. I will prove you wrong.

Further Maths would be more useful than Chemistry for Computer Science in my opinion which is why I picked it. (Yeah I also wana do CompSci)
Reply 17
Further Maths would be more useful than Chemistry for Computer Science in my opinion which is why I picked it. (Yeah I also wana do CompSci)

Look I don't want to do further maths. If i have the chance to do my a-level maths a year early so I will definitely do it. But until I dont get that confirmation by my teacher or head of sixth form I will be doing those exams at the end of year 13. I will ask my maths teacher If i can sit maths a-level early.
Reply 18
Look I don't want to do further maths. If i have the chance to do my a-level maths a year early so I will definitely do it. But until I dont get that confirmation by my teacher or head of sixth form I will be doing those exams at the end of year 13. I will ask my maths teacher If i can sit maths a-level early.

Why don't you want to do FM?
Reply 19
Original post by alow
Why don't you want to do FM?

4 freakin extra FM maths exams on top of my 3 maths papers. The workload is ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending