The Student Room Group

Ninja's Journey to Shred-Land

Intro
I've been lurking around the Fitness Blogs for a while now, and have done some research on what I want to do. I have finally decided to follow the routine on this website: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout (ICF 5x5) to begin with (from 18/09/2017).
I would really appreciate input and help (especially regarding beginning weights, diet (workout supplements etc), and strength building for the upper body.

Chosen Novice Routine:

Spoiler

The workouts seem a bit much with quite a lot of exercises (I was mainly looking to do just Squats, Deadlifts and Bench Press) but I'm just going to go with this and see how I progress, then adapt them a little (possibly inc. to 4 days a week instead of 3 days a week)

Current Measurements + Vital Stats:

Spoiler

History:

Spoiler

Goals:

Spoiler

Current Body Type and Goal Body Type:

Spoiler

Currently: Between 1 and 2, leaning towards 2 (with way smaller boobs ofc :< ). Like my 3D model on the right panel, my tummy also has a small (firm) sticky-out bit at the bottom, no matter how 'flat' my stomach gets it's still there. Is there any way to make it completely flat? Some people have wash-board flat stomachs, what is that bump and how do I make it flat?

Goal: Progress to 3, then 4. Dream of achieving 5 and 6 by pushing myself harder.

Need help with

Spoiler

Oh gosh until today, I didn't even know 'skinny-fat' was a thing - am I...skinny fat!?

Records: Starting today: (16/09/2017)
Food:
Breakfast: 2 buttered crumpets, Tea with Sugar + Milk
Lunch: 1.5 cups curried mutton, Fish curry - Salmon
Evening: Tea with sugar + Milk
Dinner: 1.5 cups of brown rice, 2 cups curried mutton, Fish curry - Salmon
Snacks:
Excercise:
N/A
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

IN - It's cool you've decided to open a blog.

Angry Cucumber (him to a greater extent) and I (to a lesser) moderate this forum so tag us or you can tag any of the regular posters such as Woody, BKS, Gone Revising, Sae etc etc if you have further questions going forwards...

You've done well and seem to have read the FAQ etc :smile:

To answer your questions:

You'll lose breast size if you cut fat. Perhaps some small growth may occur due to benching etc but I wouldn't expect much (not an expert on that!)
However the gym will not make them shrink. It's simply body fat (bf) dependant so all the gym will do is make you look better at the same bf

Re routine - seems decent, no reason why you can't go to a 4 day split. Whatever suits

Re weights - start with just the bar or touch more focusing on form. Work up with good form. Feel free to video and post in the thread, readers will help give tips or tag us. Alternatively, pm folk it.

Re supplements - just protein powder if you feel you don't get enough. (0.7g per lb of bodyweight is a good guide to go by)

Ok to set expectations....

You will find it tougher than a man to gain muscle.

However, you can make great gains and get a very strong physique.

I wouldn't advice you to reduce fat intake. Reduce carbs if you're going to cut calories.

Although i'd advise maintenance calories and as you can build muscle and lose fat for a few months due to beginner gains

Pulls ups - I'd do lat pulldown machine and build up to your bodyweight.
Alternatively, you can get stretchy bands than can go under your feet on the internet and that supports part of your weight - youtube/google pull up progression :smile:

Pure shredded 6 pack is maybe unachieveable.

Bodytype 3 and 4 is a good goal. 4 would take a while, 4 with more fat would be a v powerful physique.

However 5 and 6 are possibly photoshopped + very good lighting and if not actually kind of fake then the kids with such ripped physiques will be using peds/roids such as Anavar.

The 'bump' of fat would go if low enough body fat % but my advice is put on muscle and that will make the 'bump' not noticeable as your abs will protrude.

Record yourself re squat so someone can see if you're to a side. Do some single leg stufd with each leg and see is there is a significant imbalance, if so address it.
Avoid unevenness by occasionally using Dumbbells to address imbalances (can't really do that with squats admittedly)

You don't need to eat really really clean etc, just as long as it fits your macros. Focus on hitting the right calorie intake each day (by tracking calories on MyFitnessPal) and hit protein. That's it, don't over complicate it too much!

Hope that helps...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ninja_R
Intro
I've been lurking around the Fitness Blogs for a while now, and have done some research on what I want to do. I have finally decided to follow the routine on this website: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout (ICF 5x5) to begin with (from 18/09/2017).
I would really appreciate input and help (especially regarding beginning weights, diet (workout supplements etc), and strength building for the upper body.

Chosen Novice Routine:

Spoiler

The workouts seem a bit much with quite a lot of exercises (I was mainly looking to do just Squats, Deadlifts and Bench Press) but I'm just going to go with this and see how I progress, then adapt them a little (possibly inc. to 4 days a week instead of 3 days a week)

Current Measurements + Vital Stats:

Spoiler

History:

Spoiler

Goals:

Spoiler

Current Body Type and Goal Body Type:

Spoiler

Currently: Between 1 and 2, leaning towards 2 (with way smaller boobs ofc :< ). Like my 3D model on the right panel, my tummy also has a small (firm) sticky-out bit at the bottom, no matter how 'flat' my stomach gets it's still there. Is there any way to make it completely flat? Some people have wash-board flat stomachs, what is that bump and how do I make it flat?

Goal: Progress to 3, then 4. Dream of achieving 5 and 6 by pushing myself harder.

Need help with

Spoiler

Oh gosh until today, I didn't even know 'skinny-fat' was a thing - am I...skinny fat!?

Records: Starting today: (16/09/2017)
Food:
Breakfast: 2 buttered crumpets, Tea with Sugar + Milk
Lunch: 1.5 cups curried mutton, Fish curry - Salmon
Evening: Tea with sugar + Milk
Dinner:
Snacks:
Excercise:
N/A

Goooood luck! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress in the near future! :yep:
Reply 3
Thank you, that's very helpful.
I remember before, when I was using just the bar for squats, there would be people waiting to use the rack and (I know I shouldn't) I'd feel embarrassed. Busy gyms are a struggle sometimes. This week, I aim to buy protein & find interesting recipes to make smoothies. :biggrin: I saw someone suggesting MyFitnessPal on another blog here and downloaded it today.
How many calories (roughly) should I set as a daily target for the first couple of months (x more than my BMR or same, cause 1280 seems kinda low)?
I generally don't eat fast food, 'junk food', or drink fizzy drinks etc. As an Asian though, I do eat more rice than an average person (I think). Maybe that's where all the sneaky carbs are coming from. I should make a micro/macro list for food intake per day, hmm.
I'll defo be hitting the lat pulldown machine on Monday, determined to do 1 good pull up before 2017 ends.

Original post by CleverSquirrel
Goooood luck! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress in the near future! :yep:

Thank you! ^_^
Original post by Ninja_R
Thank you, that's very helpful.
I remember before, when I was using just the bar for squats, there would be people waiting to use the rack and (I know I shouldn't) I'd feel embarrassed. Busy gyms are a struggle sometimes. This week, I aim to buy protein & find interesting recipes to make smoothies. :biggrin: I saw someone suggesting MyFitnessPal on another blog here and downloaded it today.
How many calories (roughly) should I set as a daily target for the first couple of months (x more than my BMR or same, cause 1280 seems kinda low)?
I generally don't eat fast food, 'junk food', or drink fizzy drinks etc. As an Asian though, I do eat more rice than an average person (I think). Maybe that's where all the sneaky carbs are coming from. I should make a micro/macro list for food intake per day, hmm.
I'll defo be hitting the lat pulldown machine on Monday, determined to do 1 good pull up before 2017 ends.

No worries.
Yeah I get that but you have to just ignore it and push through.
I've had bad golfer's elbow in both arms so for the last 2/3 months upon returning to the gym I was using tiny weight, just had to do it as it was right for me.
Don't let you ego or lack of self-confidence get in the way of you reaching your goals.

Aim for maintenance calories so put your stats into 'MyFitnessPal' ie height and weight. Log all exercise.

Monitor your weight, if after 2 weeks you've lost weight slightly (I find MyFitnessPal slightly underestimates calories) then up your intake by like 100 a day so that you aren't losing weight.
You do want a slight gain in weight given muscle is heavier than fat and we're going into winter so most folk bulk in order to cut in the late spring time.

Well don't go ott. Calories and protein are all that matter. If you do go on a cut (which I would not recommend for 6/9 months from now) then you lower carbs over lowering 'fat' intake too much. Fat and protein have a purpose, carbs don't really.
However just eat normally for now, going on any real change of eating will only result in you chucking it in.

A good goal to have!
Reply 5
I think all your questions have been answered but it's nice to see a noob who's actually bothered to read

One thing I'd add- if it's taking it too long then drop movements off the end when you don't have time rather than split it to 4 day. Always do the first 3, but the rest are less important. Beginners primarily need to build strength regardless of future goals and that's what the 5x5 aims more at. The 3x8 exercises are to give you a more balanced physique so since looks are part of your goals it matters but skipping them now and again isn't the end of the world. If need be you can look to make it shorter when you finsih with ICF if need be. And remember you can superset
Reply 6
17/09/2017

Cal Goal according to MyFitnessPal: 1440
Food:
Breakfast: Tea, (50) Bun + Egg (Cal: 192)
Lunch/Dinner: A whole pizza from pizza express :3 Leggera Pollo ad Astra (<500 Cal)
Evening: Tea (50 Cal)
Cal: 778 Cal
Exercise:
N/A
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
18/09/2017

Food:
Breakfast: Tea, Crumpets x2 (Cal: 246)
Lunch: Chunky Steak Pie, shortbread cheesecake (Cal: 911)
Dinner: Mash Potato, mutton chunks, home-made fried fish fillet, marrow (Cal: 475)
Evening: Tea, Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich x2 (Oh no) (Cal: 420)
Cal: 2052 Cal (+612 than planned, oops)
Exercise:
Today didn't exactly go to plan. I went to gym with a friend and ended up doing an old routine. Lots of ground ab stuff, jumping squats + weighted lunges, stationery bike, squat bars (25kg) 10x2. Not the best start.
Going alone tomorrow, so take 2 of day 1 ICF 5x5.

OMG there are 685 calories in 1 Morrisons chunky steak pie!!?!?! 😱😱
Haha I atleast got the ice-cream part of the Ice-Cream fitness today. AmIRite? Hehehehe.
(edited 6 years ago)
Good luck.

EDIT: I agree with BKS
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ninja_R
18/09/2017

Food:
Breakfast: Tea, Crumpets x2 (Cal: 246)
Lunch: Chunky Steak Pie, shortbread cheesecake (Cal: 911)
Dinner: Mash Potato, mutton chunks, home-made fried fish fillet, marrow (Cal: 475)
Evening: Tea, Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich x2 (Oh no) (Cal: 420)
Cal: 2052 Cal (+612 than planned, oops)
Exercise:
Today didn't exactly go to plan. I went to gym with a friend and ended up doing an old routine. Lots of ground ab stuff, jumping squats + weighted lunges, stationery bike, squat bars (25kg) 10x2. Not the best start.
Going alone tomorrow, so take 2 of day 1 ICF 5x5.

OMG there are 685 calories in 1 Morrisons chunky steak pie!!?!?! 😱😱
Haha I atleast got the ice-cream part of the Ice-Cream fitness today. AmIRite? Hehehehe.

i figured that going alone is much better than with company- you tend to focus more on yourself and what you want to, last time i went with a friend- i ended up doing the same as her and that was bear minimum!!!

btw ice cream is life :biggrin:
I can't stand ICF, too much volume. I wrote a beginner's routine here, have a look-see. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4853194
Reply 11
Okay so update time~ So I haven’t updated for the last 2 days because I hadn’t really made progress. LONG POST :biggrin:

19/09/2017 NOT DAY 1

Spoiler

20/09/2017 :colondollar: ALSO NOT DAY 1

Spoiler

20/09/2017 DAY 1 :biggrin: (Finally, for realsies) :biggrin:

So today I was contemplating not going to the gym, again; but then I realised the benefit of blogging this journey accountability. I decided to go at an earlier time. The gym was gloriously non-packed. Hurrah!

STORY TIME :>

Spoiler

Food:
Breakfast: Tea, Upma, Banana (Cal: 405)
Lunch: Glucose tablet (Cal: 26)
Dinner: Steamed Salmon, Steamed Broccoli, Mushrooms (Cal: 257)
Snacks: Banana, Orange, Tea (Cal: 217)
Cal: 905 Cal (-590 than 1440)

Exercise:
Squats 5x5 Smiths machine :/ (13kg)
Bench Press - 6x5 (1 x 2 bar (20kg), 5 x 5kg smiths :/)
Barbell Row 3 x 3 (Bar 20kg), 2 x 5 (10kg barbell)
Barbell Shrugs - N/A - I couldn’t quite figure out how to do these despite watching videos
Triceps Extensions N/A
Dumbbell Curls - 3x8 per arm (4kg)
Hyperextensions N/A Is this a machine-only exercise? We don’t have this machine(?)
Cable Crunches - 3x10 (16.3kg)
Lat Pulldown 4 x 10 (18 kg)
Deadlift 2 x 5 (Bar 20kg)

Things I noticed :idea:/ things I’ll change/ things I need advice on:

My left arm is way weaker (contributing to wobble).

My diet is totally not regular, it seems I keep missing meals. My caloric intake is in increase/deficit (unintentionally) on alternating days.

I have lost all gains/progress I made before the hiatus.

My legs/glutes/abs aren’t aching at all (The good kinda post gym-ache ya know) I need to push myself more (because I know I can do better) but I need to build confidence to lift weights without someone being around.

My arms/deltoids/pecs ache :biggrin:

MyFitnessPal is amazing.

Warmup routine I found (instead of treadmill): 3x
10x Air squats
10x Good mornings
10x Romanian deadlifts (with the small barbells)
10x Pushups
10x Pullups (NO)
15-20 sec hip stretching

I want to change the workout to include Squats, Bench Press and Deadlifts on all days. I also want to do 4x a week instead of 3. Increase weight with microplates each session but only if I successfully complete 5x5.

Need Advice:

Should I attempt benching with the small barbells (10kg etc, free weight no hook), or stick with the smiths till my technique/balance improves? I don’t think I can bench with the Olympic bar (20kg).

What stretches should I be doing post-workout? (Similar to the stretches I do for splits?)

Anything and everything I can do to improve my arm/back/shoulder strength.

Any other advice to stop me being such a noob.

I read something about benching from the chest instead of benching using arms (I could not feel my chest at all - so clearly I'm doing it wrong - what should I do? Do I curl into that semi-circle form like powerlifters do before I bench? What should I do differently?)

My weight has been pretty much been maintained roughly 45.5kg 49kg for the past 4+ years, with the average 47kg. Never above or below. I’m buying these analyser scales so I can monitor muscle mass% and fat% rather than just weight for more reliable goals/outcomes.

Thankyou Woody, I’ll have a look at that routine. I’m not sure I love all of the ICF exercises.

Ciao for now~ :cool:
(edited 6 years ago)
Where are you located?
Reply 13
Original post by Gone Revising II
Where are you located?

I pm'd you. :smile:
Reply 14

Should I attempt benching with the small barbells (10kg etc, free weight no hook), or stick with the smiths till my technique/balance improves? I don’t think I can bench with the Olympic bar (20kg).

Smith machine is the wrong way- you don't need to stabilise it because the machine does it so you won't get better at it by using a smith. It also stops you benching right because the bar shouldn't go in a straight line up and down on bench.

My first bet is technique and something which would be a quick fix and the best way to practice is to bench the bar. I've seen lots of woman noobs and I can't think of ever seeing someone not able to bench the bar after they know how.

You can use safetys, get a spot or put it down on your chest, roll it to you legs then sit up

What stretches should I be doing post-workout? (Similar to the stretches I do for splits?

Whatever really. I value cool down and foam rolling more after but you can work on flexibility after if you want whilst you are still warm

Anything and everything I can do to improve my arm/back/shoulder strength.

That's what any proper programme will do, don't try and do more, just keep lifting

Any other advice to stop me being such a noob.

I read something about benching from the chest instead of benching using arms (I could not feel my chest at all - so clearly I'm doing it wrong - what should I do? Do I curl into that semi-circle form like powerlifters do before I bench? What should I do differently?)

Without seeing your bench we can't tell you how to do it differently but like I said, yes probably something wrong with your technique. It's chest shoulder and tris but where you feel it isn't a reliable guide. The semi circle is called an arch, you should at least do it a bit for stability. My other guesses would be you're not getting your shoulders back- squeeze your shoulder blades together and down throughout the lift. Your grip on the far isn't an even distance from the middle from each side. You aren't starting with your arms vertical
Reply 15
22/09/2017 - Day 2

Spoiler

I was so sore yesterday! I thought it would be better today but damnn I'm so stiff. Still, I'm really excited for gym today! :smile:

23/09/2017 - Day 3

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ninja_R
22/09/2017 - Day 2

Food:
Breakfast: Tea, Upma, Banana (Cal: 405)
Lunch: N/A
Dinner: Turbot, Steamed Broccoli, Eggs, Brown Rice (Cal: 364)
Snacks: Tea (Cal: 50)
Cal: 820 Cal (-790 than 1440)

Exercise:
Rest Day

I was so sore yesterday! I thought it would be better today but damnn I'm so stiff. Still, I'm really excited for gym today! :smile:

23/09/2017 - Day 3

Food:
Breakfast: Wheetabix, Banana, Blueberries, Milk, Tea (Cal: )
Lunch: (Cal: )
Dinner: (Cal: )
Snacks: (Cal:smile:
Cal: Cal ( than 1440)

Exercise:

Squats (Weights: )

Deadlift (Weights: )

Standing Press (Weights: )

Bent Over Row (Weights: )

Close Grip Bench Press (Weights: )

Straight Bar or Incline Curls (Weights: )

Cable Crunches (Weights: )

im really confused- didnt you eat anything on day 3?
Reply 17
Original post by CleverSquirrel
im really confused- didnt you eat anything on day 3?

Ahh I am actually keeping up with the calorie goals and exercises. I keep forgetting to update here. Now it's piling up.
I wish I could copy MyFitnessPal data and paste it here.
Reply 18
UPDAAAATTTTTEEEEE :biggrin:

24/09/2017 - Day 4

Spoiler

25/09/2017 - Day 5

Spoiler

26/09/2017 - Day 6

Spoiler

27/09/2017 - Day 7

Spoiler

28/09/2017 - Day 8

Spoiler

29/09/2017 - Day 9

Spoiler

I'm eating healthier and more regularly (or trying my best) - with lots of chicken, eggs, oats, spinach and stuff. Although it's sometimes hard to achieve the calories eating healthy. Confidence is improving at the gym, and I'm slowly increasing my weights for some exercises (and I'm doing them on my own without a friend with me hehehe :biggrin: )
(edited 6 years ago)
Well done.
You don't need to eat so 'clean' though and you're in a deficit judging from those calorie stats which isn't ideal. Don't let your weight drop

Quick Reply

Latest