The Student Room Group

Biology or Physics A-Level?

I don't know what to choose. I currently have Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I'm really not sure if I should drop Biology for Physics.
Biology is content-heavy, but most of the content is straightforward to understand. However, exam marking schemes are notoriously specific.

Physics will complement maths as the mechanics modules in maths overlap with physics. Some of the concepts are a lot more difficult to understand, but there aren't so many of them, and a good 40% of the marks are for "maths-based" questions.

It's up to you in the end!
Reply 2
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Biology is content-heavy, but most of the content is straightforward to understand. However, exam marking schemes are notoriously specific.

Physics will complement maths as the mechanics modules in maths overlap with physics. Some of the concepts are a lot more difficult to understand, but there aren't so many of them, and a good 40% of the marks are for "maths-based" questions.

It's up to you in the end!

Thanks but I'm really not sure. What makes this worse is I'm not even sure what I want to do after A-Levels.
Original post by Black Water
Thanks but I'm really not sure. What makes this worse is I'm not even sure what I want to do after A-Levels.

To be honest, I don't think it matters that much. Perhaps ask your school to let you try all four subjects for a term and then decide, if this is possible?

I am sure other posters will have better suggestions :smile:
Biology is more interesting.
I'm in Y12 too, and do Physics:

Think ahead, what do you wanna do when you're older? Even if you don't know the specific job, you've got to have SOME idea, or even a general area of a field. If you want do anything Maths related, or Engineering, you'll want Physics, if not, then nope.

I do Further Maths, Maths and Chem along with it, and I find the quite Mechanics and Applied form of Physics means that I can use the skills learnt in Maths/FM, Maths and Physics ties into each other very well, and a lot of the questions may involve some sort of Mathematic manipulation. Hell, stuff that you learn in Physics or Biology will help vaguely for Chemistry.
Reply 6
To be honest, I don't think it matters that much. Perhaps ask your school to let you try all four subjects for a term and then decide, if this is possible?

I am sure other posters will have better suggestions :smile:

I would have done that, but the school doesn't allow 4 A-Levels of this combination. I don't want to end up picking Physics then regret not doing Biology if you get what I mean. I might stick with Physics.
Reply 7
Original post by AryanGh
I'm in Y12 too, and do Physics:

Think ahead, what do you wanna do when you're older? Even if you don't know the specific job, you've got to have SOME idea, or even a general area of a field. If you want do anything Maths related, or Engineering, you'll want Physics, if not, then nope.

I do Further Maths, Maths and Chem along with it, and I find the quite Mechanics and Applied form of Physics means that I can use the skills learnt in Maths/FM, Maths and Physics ties into each other very well, and a lot of the questions may involve some sort of Mathematic manipulation. Hell, stuff that you learn in Physics or Biology will help vaguely for Chemistry.

Thanks, I think I might stick with Physics rather than Biology since it might be more useful.
I would have done that, but the school doesn't allow 4 A-Levels of this combination. I don't want to end up picking Physics then regret not doing Biology if you get what I mean. I might stick with Physics.

Okay, well I am in year 13 doing Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and I can honestly say that biology is the most difficult subject for me, because of all the content and little overlap with the others. The maths A-level I did last year really helps some of the physics, and physics/chemistry complement each other, a little.

However, I will admit that biology is perhaps the most interesting subject, though also the most dull subject at the same time: it's so broad and has so much knowledge that there's bound to be something you really find fascinating, but also bound to be areas which you find quite boring.
Reply 9
Okay, well I am in year 13 doing Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and I can honestly say that biology is the most difficult subject for me, because of all the content and little overlap with the others. The maths A-level I did last year really helps some of the physics, and physics/chemistry complement each other, a little.

However, I will admit that biology is perhaps the most interesting subject, though also the most dull subject at the same time: it's so broad and has so much knowledge that there's bound to be something you really find fascinating, but also bound to be areas which you find quite boring.

How did you manage to do all 5 of them? I get what you mean, that will probably happen in all subjects. How much work is it now for you? I bet it's really hard and tough to do all those subjects.
How did you manage to do all 5 of them? I get what you mean, that will probably happen in all subjects. How much work is it now for you? I bet it's really hard and tough to do all those subjects.

I spent a chunk of GCSE study leave and summer between year 11 and 12 learning the chemistry and physics AS, so that saved a lot of time during term to focus on doing full maths A-level in one year.

Then this summer I self-studied the rest of A2 chemistry and most of physics, and now I am self-studying some further maths modules ahead of my class, so that I can focus on biology around exam season (since content-heavy subject requires a lot more revision).

They key is persistent solid work. Gym people say "never miss leg day", I say "never miss academic revision day".

You don't even have to spend that long. I do at most 2 hours work out of school per day during the school week, and maybe 4 hours each weekend day. That still leaves plenty of time for sport, music, going out etc...

It's all about consistency and quality, targeting areas of weakness. Also, really understanding topics and making lots of connections between everything your learn in all your subjects greatly helps too.

Some of the action potential stuff we are doing in biology right now is really easy for me to understand and memorise, because I can draw parallels between it and electrode potentials in A2 chemistry.

It is hard work, but I find it very enjoyable, and I still have plenty of time for other activities. Sleep is also very important: a good night's sleep allows you to be much more productive and take a lot less time to understand something than if you pull an all-nighter, for whatever reason.
Reply 11
I spent a chunk of GCSE study leave and summer between year 11 and 12 learning the chemistry and physics AS, so that saved a lot of time during term to focus on doing full maths A-level in one year.

Then this summer I self-studied the rest of A2 chemistry and most of physics, and now I am self-studying some further maths modules ahead of my class, so that I can focus on biology around exam season (since content-heavy subject requires a lot more revision).

They key is persistent solid work. Gym people say "never miss leg day", I say "never miss academic revision day".

You don't even have to spend that long. I do at most 2 hours work out of school per day during the school week, and maybe 4 hours each weekend day. That still leaves plenty of time for sport, music, going out etc...

It's all about consistency and quality, targeting areas of weakness. Also, really understanding topics and making lots of connections between everything your learn in all your subjects greatly helps too.

Some of the action potential stuff we are doing in biology right now is really easy for me to understand and memorise, because I can draw parallels between it and electrode potentials in A2 chemistry.

It is hard work, but I find it very enjoyable, and I still have plenty of time for other activities. Sleep is also very important: a good night's sleep allows you to be much more productive and take a lot less time to understand something than if you pull an all-nighter, for whatever reason.

Oh ok so you're pretty much ahead in every subject because of your work ethic. That's really good, no wonder you are doing really well. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to use it. :smile:
Original post by S2M

Hi, I'm in the exact same position two years later! I can't decide between physics and biology (I'm taking maths and business too). Which did you end up taking and do you have any regrets? I'd really appreciate your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest