The Student Room Group

Christian sentenced to death in Pakistan for insulting Islam

https://www.rt.com/news/403498-pakistan-christian-islam-whatsapp/

A human rights abuse no doubt. Everyone should have the right to freedom of speech and it's shameful that there are still countries that don't give people this fundamental right to criticise and insult.

The worst part is that this guy didn't even intend to insult Islam, he can't even read, yet he still gets executed
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

As has been said countless times, religion and state should be separate. Stories like this are deplorable.
Reply 2
Everyone's just gonna turn their cheek, carry on like nothing happened and repress any apparently negative opinions. It's funny how the usual guys you get who are quick to share and comment on the injust treatments of muslims in different countries are so quiet when in concerns the opposite type of scenario.
Reply 3
InB4 "nothing to do with Islam".
Reply 4
What a backwards legal system, I'm glad I don't live there
Thought I'd quote Abdurrahman Wahid, former president of Indonesia and also former leader (for some 15 years) of Indonesia's largest Muslim organisation Nahdlatul Ulama:

"As Muslims, rather than harshly condemn others’ speech or beliefs, and employing threats or violence to constrain these, we should ask: why is there so little freedom of expression, and religion, in the so-called Muslim world? Exactly whose interests are served by laws such as Section 295-C of the Pakistani legal code, “Defiling the Name of Muhammad,” which mandates the death penalty for “blasphemy”[?]…Rather than serve to protect God, Islam or Muhammad, such deliberately vague and repressive laws merely empower those with a worldly (i.e., political) agenda, and act as a “sword of Damocles” threatening not only religious minorities, but the right of mainstream Muslims to speak freely about their own religion without being threatened by the wrath of fundamentalists exercised through the power of government or mobs whose claims of “defending religion” are little more than a pretext for self-aggrandizement."
Reply 6
Original post by The Epicurean
Thought I'd quote Abdurrahman Wahid, former president of Indonesia and also former leader (for some 15 years) of Indonesia's largest Muslim organisation Nahdlatul Ulama:

"As Muslims, rather than harshly condemn others’ speech or beliefs, and employing threats or violence to constrain these, we should ask: why is there so little freedom of expression, and religion, in the so-called Muslim world? Exactly whose interests are served by laws such as Section 295-C of the Pakistani legal code, “Defiling the Name of Muhammad,” which mandates the death penalty for “blasphemy”[?]…Rather than serve to protect God, Islam or Muhammad, such deliberately vague and repressive laws merely empower those with a worldly (i.e., political) agenda, and act as a “sword of Damocles” threatening not only religious minorities, but the right of mainstream Muslims to speak freely about their own religion without being threatened by the wrath of fundamentalists exercised through the power of government or mobs whose claims of “defending religion” are little more than a pretext for self-aggrandizement."
He was subsequently indicted under Section 295-C of the Pakistani legal code.
This is horrible man, should never have happended. I really hope the Pakistani government changes this stupid system.
Simply put, Allah can look after himself, he doesn't need a bunch of fanatics running around killing everyone that blasphemes against him.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/blasphemy-laws-stephen-fry-ireland-saudi-arabia-pakistan-muslims-islam-truth-quran-a7731896.html
I thought Pakistan didn't have Shariah law?
Original post by User7789
"James" was sleeping with a Muslimah :naughty: and insulting Islam. He broke some serious laws and if you don't follow the law you get what's coming.

He got what he deserves.

**** you, you vile excuse for a human being.
Original post by MrDystopia
As has been said countless times, religion and state should be separate. Stories like this are deplorable.

I think there's a huge difference between the Church in England being a state religion and despicable stories like this.
Original post by Decimatio
I thought Pakistan didn't have Shariah law?

As far as i'm aware, this wouldn't actually fall under sharia law as it is in no way derived from the teachings/actions (sunnah) of the prophet muhammed. Neither is it a punishment prescribed in the Quran.
But either way I can see what you're getting at; and it's shocking this would happen.
Reply 13
Original post by shadowdmdm
Simply put, Allah can look after himself, he doesn't need a bunch of fanatics running around killing everyone that blasphemes against him.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/blasphemy-laws-stephen-fry-ireland-saudi-arabia-pakistan-muslims-islam-truth-quran-a7731896.html
Apparently not!
Original post by mrwb9876
I think there's a huge difference between the Church in England being a state religion and despicable stories like this.

Sure, but I disagree with both. No need for any religion to have preference in a society.
Original post by MrDystopia
Sure, but I disagree with both. No need for any religion to have preference in a society.

I think Christianity should still be the state religion. I'm a Christian, but I know loads who aren't. Its more about cultural and heritage of the UK to most, it should be preserved. Realistically, the Church doesn't have anywhere near as much power as in other countries.
Original post by User7789
"James" was sleeping with a Muslimah :naughty: and insulting Islam. He broke some serious laws and if you don't follow the law you get what's coming.

He got what he deserves.

Unless you follow Islam in the UK and break our laws regarding FGM, forced marriages and so on, you're fine and no one bats an eyelid.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by QE2
Apparently not!

Yeah, as a muslim myself im often genuinely left in awe at how twisted tradition can somehow be seamlessly merged with religion in places like pakistan, when in reality they could not be more dissimilar.
Original post by mrwb9876
**** you, you vile excuse for a human being.

Lol you want me to show sympathy do a criminal? He was living in Pakistan he should have respected the law, not sleeping with Muslimahs and causing trouble. If I broke a law in the UK I would be held accountable also so why do the laws in Pakistan not apply?

Hopefully this will send a strong message to anyone else in those countries who think they can break the law and not be held to account.
Well at least these backwards savages don't have any real power.Its not like they have nuclear weapons capable of causing a nuclear winter and destroying the planet is it?Oh wait............................

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending