The Student Room Group

Do you need to know Statistics 2 to learn Statistics 3

I'm in year 13 and doing maths and furthermaths, i want to do edexcel s3 but am not sure whether i need to have learnt s2 before hand. thanks
Original post by ismadjou
I'm in year 13 and doing maths and furthermaths, i want to do edexcel s3 but am not sure whether i need to have learnt s2 before hand. thanks

Not 100% sure on this but I don't think you can sit S3 without sitting S2 (I don't think you will get a full qualification if you try skipping applied units like this)

In my view, the S3 content is more challenging than S2 for a start, but the hypothesis testing and expectation and distributions in S3 come from S2 so you would have to learn S2 anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Not 100% sure on this but I don't think you can sit S3 without sitting S2 (I don't think you will get a full qualification if you try skipping applied units like this)

In my view, the S3 content is more challenging than S2 for a start, but the hypothesis testing and expectation and distributions in S3 come from S2 so you would have to learn S2 anyway.

Thanks for that, so i am sitting s2 as well this year but because its part of the syllabus already we are being taught it in lesson. however it is the last book that we will get taught after c3 and c4, so i havent learnt it yet. i'll probly just learnt he chapters i can anyways thanks
Original post by ismadjou
Thanks for that, so i am sitting s2 as well this year but because its part of the syllabus already we are being taught it in lesson. however it is the last book that we will get taught after c3 and c4, so i havent learnt it yet. i'll probly just learnt he chapters i can anyways thanks

Ah I see, my advice would be to just start S2 now and go through it, whilst making sure that C3 gets enough time also. Will help you with S3 and then the time where you are taught S2 can be used for revision

Quick Reply

Latest