The Student Room Group

EPQ advice?

Okay, so I am really struggling on how to write the argument and not just describe. My title is 'To what extent was the adaptation of Greek religion into Roman religion aggressive?' I have 1000 words of description and I'm struggling with JSTOR and I need to have it done by the end of September. Please help?
Original post by LostCause6316
Okay, so I am really struggling on how to write the argument and not just describe. My title is 'To what extent was the adaptation of Greek religion into Roman religion aggressive?' I have 1000 words of description and I'm struggling with JSTOR and I need to have it done by the end of September. Please help?

Your title seem unclear and muddled to me and thats a bad sign. What is it are you trying to say or the main point of your EPQ?
Original post by 999tigger
Your title seem unclear and muddled to me and thats a bad sign. What is it are you trying to say or the main point of your EPQ?

My title is a working title given to me by my tutor. I am essentially addressing the differences between ancient Greek and ancient Roman religion. And my argument is that they are different and that Romans didn't 'copy' Greek gods and religion. Also, I forgot to mention it in my initial question but I am doing my EPQ through Edexcel (most people seem to be doing the AQA one)
My title is a working title given to me by my tutor. I am essentially addressing the differences between ancient Greek and ancient Roman religion. And my argument is that they are different and that Romans didn't 'copy' Greek gods and religion. Also, I forgot to mention it in my initial question but I am doing my EPQ through Edexcel (most people seem to be doing the AQA one)

So isnt the essay much more about the origins of Roman religion and according to you the creation of something unique and original?
Original post by 999tigger
So isnt the essay much more about the origins of Roman religion and according to you the creation of something unique and original?

In a way I guess. Not quite origins because it's hard to find scholars that go back that far and any reliable sources from that long ago. The current set up I have going on is a subtitle of what the thing is and then arguing why it's different. Also, my argument isn't on originality because Roman religion isn't. Technically even the Greeks shared gods with Egyptians and such. My argument is more that the two do not equal each other, that despite the similarities the Romans well, 'Romanised' it and used the Greek influence on their religion differently.
In a way I guess. Not quite origins because it's hard to find scholars that go back that far and any reliable sources from that long ago. The current set up I have going on is a subtitle of what the thing is and then arguing why it's different. Also, my argument isn't on originality because Roman religion isn't. Technically even the Greeks shared gods with Egyptians and such. My argument is more that the two do not equal each other, that despite the similarities the Romans well, 'Romanised' it and used the Greek influence on their religion differently.

So you are looking at comparisons, purpose, formation, uniqueness, function, adoption, foundations. Not really seeing why they should equal each other? Presumably your tutor can give you more direction if they suggested the title. Hopefuly you have enough on point material for your epq.
Look for some sources that talk about topics that may be relevant, make a claim, reference one to support it, reference one to refute that one etc and repeat

Btw great choice on avatar picture 😉

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending