The Student Room Group

Need help - Gay 15 year old feeling down.

I've not had a good day today, and am currently feeling really terrible.
I have wrote a couple of paragraphs in English for reflective writing. There was one sentence which hinted at me being gay. The teacher flagged what I had said as a cause for concern and contacted my head of year who asked me about it this morning. She said I can speak to them if I need to, but I highly doubt it is that easy to admit you are gay to a member of staff at a Catholic school, and TBH - it isn't really their business.
I have also been in the closet for about 7 weeks now, and it is beginning to eat away any pleasure in my life. I have things I have to do for school (not motivated to do them), feel isolated, can't be around others without getting really irritated and don't really have much friends. I really struggle to come out to any of the ones I do have.

I am also feeling anxious about my parents being contacted. I can live with them not knowing for a few years, provided a few people in my real life know. However, this was just one sentence. I have roughly 1300 words of a full essay which is much deeper than the sentence itself, and personally feel that if I submit it, my parents will be contacted. My sister has no problems with homosexuals, my mum doesn't seem to care much, but I am not ready and I think my dad would be really upset to learn that his only son is gay.

So overall, I just feel really down. Keeping this secret has honestly been one of the hardest things in my life, and I feel isolated, with no happiness or motivation.

Thanks for reading, and please drop a comment if you have any advice!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Joe2001
I have wrote a couple of paragraphs in English for reflective writing. There was one sentence which hinted at me being gay. The teacher flagged what I had said as a cause for concern and contacted my head of year who asked me about it this morning. She said I can speak to them if I need to, but I highly doubt it is that easy to admit you are gay to a member of staff at a Catholic school, and TBH - it isn't really their business.
I have also been in the closet for about 7 weeks now, and it is beginning to eat away any pleasure in my life. I have things I have to do for school (not motivated to do them), feel isolated, can't be around others without getting really irritated and don't really have much friends. I really struggle to come out to any of the ones I do have.

I am also feeling anxious about my parents being contacted. I can live with them not knowing for a few years, provided a few people in my real life know. However, this was just one sentence. I have roughly 1300 words of a full essay which is much deeper than the sentence itself, and personally feel that if I submit it, my parents will be contacted. My sister has no problems with homosexuals, my mum doesn't seem to care much, but I am not ready and I think my dad would be really upset to learn that his only son is gay.

So overall, I just feel really down. Keeping this secret has honestly been one of the hardest things in my life, and I feel isolated, with no happiness or motivation.

Do you have a chaplain/counsellor you can talk to in private?

If you have serious reason to believe that being openly gay at school could make things awkward, I'd be quiet about it - but don't consider yourself to be closeted. Just consider it as something that nobody needs to know where you are. Something that's not relevant.

As for your dad, even if it does hurt him initially, he...

...is your dad, he deserves to know.

...will get over it.

If you feel like you've got to keep it from him, you'll just end up making a toxic situation. Also, if he's a good dad in other ways, the fact that you've hidden it from him might also be potentially hurtful to him.

Unfortunately there isn't really a right thing to say here. I'm lucky; my family and friends are all very supportive and open-minded, and I didn't fully realize that I was bi until I got to my mid-twenties (until then it was something I suspected about myself but it wasn't enough of a "thing" to me to sit and think about it).

I hope you get it right though - right, for you, that is.

Just keep your beans chilled and your chin up :hugs:
Reply 2
awww :frown:
and as the top user said, if you really feel like you shouldn't be open about, then don't reveal it and don't deep it too much
unfortunately I'm not that good with words for me to cheer you up, but you can read this gay fanfic which I really loved ((I have a big obsession with gay fanfics and shipping boys together :colondollar: even though I'm straight XD ))
It's a really fluffy fanfic and I'm sure it might be inspirational in some sort of way in addition to lifting up your mood
https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/841224/hide-seek-fluff-highschool-romance-bap-daehyun-youngjae-daejae
hope you like it! xx
Reply 3
I'm going to link to Stonewall who also offer lots of support and advice http://www.stonewall.org.uk/

Could you ask them not to contact your parents, or explain that what you wrote isn't a cause for concern.

If you don't feel ready to come out and don't want to tell other's yet, that's ok. Do it when you feel ready to.

As for your dad, if he is upset, i'm sure he will come around and be supportive,
Reply 4
Mate, you are you. Don't let anyone make anyone feel bad because of that, or you can give me a shout and I'll deal with them.
Original post by Joe2001

Imo it seems like your teacher and head of year are more concerned about your welfare than ratting you out. Focus on enjoying life rather than worrying about what other people may think though, worrying achieves nothing except making you unhappy
Original post by Joe2001

Hey. I'm bisexual and my parents are intensely religious. I only came out to my mum when I was 20 so don't feel like there is a certain age when you have to come out. Have you thought of joining a LGBT support group? There are a lot of charities that run them for young people. There are a lot of people who are in the same situation as you.

I'm not going to tell you things become easier when you come out. In some ways it's harder as your family may start acting different around you when they know you aren't heterosexual. The only advice I can give you is to not let anyone make you feel bad for something you cannot control and only come out when you're comfortable doing it.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk some more.
Original post by D3LLI5
Imo it seems like your teacher and head of year are more concerned about your welfare than ratting you out. Focus on enjoying life rather than worrying about what other people may think though, worrying achieves nothing except making you unhappy

It's easy to suggest that when you don't feel like you are hiding a huge, life-changing, secret.
Original post by ivybridges
It's easy to suggest that when you don't feel like you are hiding a huge, life-changing, secret.

Pffff it's not huge or life changing
Reply 9
One thing I would say for anything though, I'd stay away from writing truly about yourself or opinions. I learnt that the hard way.
Original post by Joe2001

Hi, pal.

I'm gay, 19, went to a Catholic School and had parents who didn't really get it. My advice to you is be strong and do what you feel you need to do. Tell close friends, see it as something you don't feel is necessary to declare. You're you and you are normal. Your parents do need to know but I would discuss it with them when you're a little older as age does tend to have a bearing on how seriously a parent takes the issue.

Ultimately, your parents will have to make a decision: you are their ignorance. Most, the vast majority even, would chose their child and your parents will almost certainly be the same.

Stay strong, keep calm, and consider going to speak to somebody who could offer you guidance and continued support.

:hugs:
Original post by D3LLI5
Pffff it's not huge or life changing

Are you LGBT?
Original post by ivybridges
Are you LGBT?

Why, do you like me? 😉
Original post by D3LLI5
Why, do you like me? 😉

I don't know you and so far, no.

If you're not LGBT then you are not credible to consult on how big (or not) a deal it is to come out and to actually be LGBT.
Original post by Joe2001

You say it takes away pleasure just watch gay P**N and that's all the pleasure that is required :wink: i got you don't worry no homo (wrong time to say that ****)
also OP i was basically in the exact same position before I realised that there's no real need to out yourself at a young age just wait until you can financially support yourself because my dad would either kill me/throw me out of the house if I came out to him lol
Hello all. Thanks for your advice so far.
I just sent an email to my friend to tell him the news. Fingers crossed!
BTW - he's the only person I am telling at the moment. If this goes well, I will start telling more people I can trust.
It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor... but family. You understand?*
Original post by TheDuo
argument invalid as always, you are just a mindless troll.

you're really boring, you know that right?
Original post by quackers2003
It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor... but family. You understand?*

who actually cares about a surname that's literally all it is. a name.

Quick Reply

Latest