The Student Room Group

What evidence should we put in if we want to use a computer in uni exams?

(Probably too late for me now but...)

So I have awful handwriting and by that I mean awful - bad enough for teachers to let me use a computer for the whole of my A levels. Now I'd like to use a computer for my uni exams too since I don't want to have to worry about my bad writing lowering my grades. Thing is on the disability forms you have to provide some kind of evidence that you need a computer which is fair enough, but... what am I supposed to upload?? :confused:
Reply 1
Thanks for the reply, nah but I gotta like upload something, like a word file I think. Ain't enough just for me to say "I have bad handwriting"
Reply 2
Well alright :redface: guess all I can do is ask
Original post by dadumplum

So I have awful handwriting and by that I mean awful - bad enough for teachers to let me use a computer for the whole of my A levels. Now I'd like to use a computer for my uni exams too since I don't want to have to worry about my bad writing lowering my grades. Thing is on the disability forms you have to provide some kind of evidence that you need a computer which is fair enough, but... what am I supposed to upload?? :confused:

Print the form and write it out. That way they can see
Reply 4
Original post by Reece.W.J
Print the form and write it out. That way they can see

Clever :tongue: time it too just so they get the idea

Do you actually have a disability which causes poor handwriting?
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
Do you actually have a disability which causes poor handwriting?

I mean, after being tested (which my school asked for) I found I had slow processing disorder which might count as a disability, but I don't know if that causes poor handwriting... haven't got any record of those tests though
I mean, after being tested (which my school asked for) I found I had slow processing disorder which might count as a disability, but I don't know if that causes poor handwriting... haven't got any record of those tests though

Ask your student support team to help you get retested, the might not be able to cover the whole costs but at least if you do have something then you'll have a report to prove it.

This is sounding kind of like Dyslexia. If you have a Dyslexia test, even through the Uni they will allow you to use a computer as long as it is in the recommendations. I recommend you email your university or go to the student services as soon as you get there and see what they will recommend. Good Luck!
Usually for long term things, you'd be expected to have DSA in place with exam recommendations.
Original post by CopperDragon
I recommend you email your university or go to the student services as soon as you get there and see what they will recommend.

And it's best to get tested and have your DSA in place as soon as you can. Make sure the university know of the exam requirements well in advance so they can make the necessary arrangements. Don't spring it on them at the last moment!
As far as I know, you need DSA to be able to get adjustments like using a computer in an exam if you're needing it for a long-term problem. Go and speak to someone in the student support department or equivalent at your university for help/advice.

Quick Reply

Latest