The Student Room Group

Microgynon pill to Rigevidon anyone?

Scroll to see replies

I had the same thing- been on mycrogynon for years, changed me to rigevidonondevon or whatever it's called and I read that it can have psychological effects even with the same 'ingredients'. I rang the nurse and said I didn't want to take the risk and insisted I wanted my old pill. She has now written me out a prescription for mycrogynon. Be assertive girls, our bodies our rights and our choices...
O my days, I can't believe what I'm reading about Rivegidon . I'm shocked, I was prescribed this ages ago but too scared to take it as I had long trouble with the implant. I was bleeding heavily constantly for over a year so when I had the implant removed they put me on Rivegidon in 2015. But I wasn't active so thought didn't bother taking it coz I don't want to bleed like that ever again. But now I'm active again I wanted to look up side effects for Rivegidon and come across all this. I'm shocked. Thank you all so much. Us guys, we stick 2gether and it's amazing how many decent ppl who are out there.
Although the active ingredients in both Rigevidon and Microgynon 30 are the same the excipients are different. I understand that the NHS are trying to make cuts in order to survive and I am all for this, however changing medication should be something that you are consulted on and this is where the confusion and frustration lies. Hormone tablets do effect women's weight, appetite, sexual appetite and mental health and it is not good enough to simply change this medication without prior notice. Microgynon is not being fazed out, and if you are experiencing changes from your normal medication, go back to your GP and complain. Alternatively write to the manufactures of Microgynon and ask for a response to this, you never know they might lower the price of production. (Bayer PLC)
Microgynon is not being phased out. It also isn't the same pill rebranded. They are saying it's the same pill, but it's basically cheaper than Microgynon, so that's why they're favouring Rigevidon instead. But if it's cheaper for the same ingredients, it's clearly not the exact same pill.

I had no end of issues with Rigevidon, and for months I had doctors and nurses telling me I had to just get used to it. I was on Microgynon for 5 years before it, with no issues whatsoever. I took Rigevidon for about 6 months to try get my body used to it. It made me depressed to the point my partner could tell something wasn't right. I was insecure, and basically a raging lunatic for 6 months, to the point it nearly made us split up. It wasn't until we sat down and pin pointed it was around when I started taking this new pill, that I suddenly completely changed. I had mood swings, couldn't sleep, lots of weight gain (around 2 stones in just over a month, with the same diet & exercise as before). I had a loss of sex drive, bad headaches, heavier periods and yet I was still being told that my body just needed to get used to it.

Eventually saw a doctor, who admitted she had had lots of women/girls tell her similar stories, and she was trying to fight the point that it clearly isn't the same pill. They might say they're the same ingredients, but there's a reason one is a lot cheaper than the other. Since they swapped me back to Microgynon, all the above symptoms have disappeared. But every time I go to get my prescription, it ends up being a massive fuss as they prefer to give the cheaper alternative. No end of women are complaining about breast pain and blood clots with Rigevidon too. So if any of you think something isn't right, please go speak to a doctor or nurse and express your concerns. Also if they tell you, you can't have Microgynon, tell them you know it's not true and demand alternatives. I understand the NHS are trying to save money, and I'm all for that. But when it's causing people this many problems, I have a feeling it was a rash decision, rather than a long thought out plan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone had a good experience on Rigevidon? I've just been prescribed it, and after reading this thread am slightly worried.
To everyone on this petition. I've got both friends, family and myself on either microgynon and Rigevidon. I am myself on Rigevidon, and have been for a year and have not experienced anything other than slight moods swings and recently a constant headache. After visiting the doctor, she immediatly took me off the pill and suggested I take cerelle. Cerelle is a POP, mini pill and therefore only contains the artificial hormone progesterone. As the combined pill, Rigevidon contains both progesterone and oestrogen, and oestrogen is the hormone most commonly known to cause headaches which could be a result of other issues it can cause. I have friends on microgynon, and microgynon is the exact same to Rigevidon, it contains the same hormones, but it is more expensive to prescribe, hence the change in prescriptions to save NHS money. But too right, why would you experience different side effects on a pill that is known to include the same hormones. What exactly is different then, thats the question? It can't just be the price?
Reply 186
I had no problems with Rigevidon except for mood swings and being constantly bloated (only during the first few weeks). But once my body got used to the pill, it was fine. I have just been to the pharmacy to get my next batch and been given Microgynon instead, haven't taken it before so let's see!
Like many i was taking microgynon for years but since taking rigivedon i have noticed changes i go through crying to moody to happy yet i had none of this when taking the old pill yet drs won't let me change back
Switched from Rigividon to Noromin and so happy I did.
I was swapped from microgynon to rigevidon 2 months ago and now im getting more spots and ive put on weight! About 3/4 of a stone!! Ive actually cut down on my intake and started running but its done nothing. I realised the only changes in my life have been this pill. Being heavier is making me feel crap as im now a stone heavier than what I was a few months ago :frown:. Im not active atm so thinking of stopping for now and seeing if it makes a difference. If my skin and my weight improves ill soon know and will complain to my GP.
Yes exactly the same and cannot get to sleep or stay asleep at night since day three of pill. Constant period aches too.
Reply 191
I've had a lot of trouble with the pills I've had, my first pack was the combined pill Microgynon and it was an alright pill but it made me feel really moody. So I asked to be changed to the mini-pill which had just been
I was on Yasmin for almost a year my doctor switched me to Rigevidon now took them straight after my Yasmin pack (back to back) I've not started my withdrawal and it has been 4 days . anyone else have this when switching i'm worried.
The difference between rigevidon and mycrogynon is the same as the difference between tesco paracetamol and sainsburys paracetamol.
They do exactly the same thing and are virtually identical other than the seller/manufacturer. One selling at a slightly higher price than the other.

Admittedly I don't know if they have slightly different binding chemicals (the 'glue' slicking the important molecules in the pill together), but these potential differences shouldn't change the way the body reacts to the tablet.

Clearly (from the amount of posts on here) the two tablets are effecting people differently and I think a study should be carried out to see if these symptoms are due to the placebo effect introduced when changing tablet, or if they are due to a chemical difference in the tablets inducing different effects in the body.
Reply 194
The same has happened to me! And now I'm covered in pimples all over my face :frown: straight to the doctors Monday. I'm so sad
I'm wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms while on Rigevidon. I started taking it a month ago (first time on the pill) and have just started my second pack. Besides sore and swollen breasts there's only really one other side effect that I've noticed from taking it. My legs have been very achy. I'm assuming it's from the pill because I noticed that I hadn't had any aches during my 7 day break and as soon as I started taking it again, the aches came back. No cramping, apart from one a few weeks ago but I had been getting them now and again at night before starting on the pill for years anyway and doc assured me it was just Restless leg. So thought nothing of it. My legs have just been very achy, always the lower legs sometimes knees, not in the calf but more up front around the shins. Sort of like what growing pains felt like when I got them as a child. I've been getting it quite often in the evenings/night just before I go to bed, in both legs. Sometimes during the day if I've been sitting for a long time whilst travelling, I'll get it one of my legs. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this at all? I know birth control increases your risk of blot clots but I think it's unlikely as I'm not getting any actual cramps, swelling, redness, or heat from either leg. Just a dull ache like you would usually get from walking too long. But I've not been doing much walking recently. Going to the doc on Monday just to rule out anything serious but I am worried because I haven't heard of anyone on the pill experiencing this. Has anyone else experienced this, or could it be completely unrelated to the pill?
I wish I seen this thread sooner! I was changed from microgynon which I'd happily been on for 9 years to rigevidon in April, I have been a completely different person! I don't even recognise myself. At first I thought it was just me getting used to the new pill but things have only gotten worse, my moods are awful, I black out in fits of rage, I either don't sleep or I can't get out of bed, I cry at everything, I've put on weight and my skin has broken out terrible. I've lost all motivation in my job and I'm destroying relationships. This thing is the worst! I'm changing to the injection in 2 days and I really really hope it has a positive effect because I cannot continue on like this!
Original post by Lauren9430
I wish I seen this thread sooner! I was changed from microgynon which I'd happily been on for 9 years to rigevidon in April, I have been a completely different person! I don't even recognise myself. At first I thought it was just me getting used to the new pill but things have only gotten worse, my moods are awful, I black out in fits of rage, I either don't sleep or I can't get out of bed, I cry at everything, I've put on weight and my skin has broken out terrible. I've lost all motivation in my job and I'm destroying relationships. This thing is the worst! I'm changing to the injection in 2 days and I really really hope it has a positive effect because I cannot continue on like this!

I moved recently and had to visit a new gp for pills and she started telling how I shouldn't be taking those even though I have been for years and had no problems. Got switched and was pretty bad even though when I started microgynon I barely had sideffects. So I just went and got the implant instead as I was thinking about getting it already. And the funny thing is, my doctor who put the implant in told me that if I keep spotting on it, to come back and they will give me a prescription for microgynon to take to settle that down xD
Reply 198
I don't normally comment on things like this but the exact same happened to me- I started on microgynon about 4 years ago- was great they stopped it about 12months later and I was never the same again- I went through a lot of hassle to et back on microgynon, and now this week I have been told they have stopped making it because of a manufacturing issue. I don't want to go through all the issues I had before and have a doc appointment coming up to try to fix it but with out sounding like a drama queen here I don't know what I'll do if they can't keep me on it! :frown:
Original post by Em_/
I don't normally comment on things like this but the exact same happened to me- I started on microgynon about 4 years ago- was great they stopped it about 12months later and I was never the same again- I went through a lot of hassle to et back on microgynon, and now this week I have been told they have stopped making it because of a manufacturing issue. I don't want to go through all the issues I had before and have a doc appointment coming up to try to fix it but with out sounding like a drama queen here I don't know what I'll do if they can't keep me on it! :frown:

If you're really desperate, they are available to buy from places like Superdrug pharmacy and Lloyd's pharmacy.

Can also try different type of contraception. I went on the implant after since my GP didn't want to give microgynon and had no side effects. Only had a bit of acne pop up for a couple of days and then calm down

Quick Reply