The Student Room Group

Do I have career prospects of both economics and business management grads?

I am studying Business Management and Economics at Nottingham Trent University and was wondering if by doing a dual honours degree I'd be able to enter any field of either degree? For example, would I be able to go into Investment Banking if I chose to do so as well as the option of becoming a business analyst?
Also does university prestige play a huge factor in terms of higher paid jobs? For example,Uni of Sheffield offers a similar course, would I be better off transferring there for the 2nd year if I am able to do so?
Original post by NoisySilence
I am studying Business Management and Economics at Nottingham Trent University and was wondering if by doing a dual honours degree I'd be able to enter any field of either degree? For example, would I be able to go into Investment Banking if I chose to do so as well as the option of becoming a business analyst?
Also does university prestige play a huge factor in terms of higher paid jobs? For example,Uni of Sheffield offers a similar course, would I be better off transferring there for the 2nd year if I am able to do so?

Yup. Or anything else that uses your transferable skills. And no prestige makes no difference but the unis links with industry does so have a look at where grads end up.
Original post by alleycat393
Yup. Or anything else that uses your transferable skills. And no prestige makes no difference but the unis links with industry does so have a look at where grads end up.

Prestige certainly makes a difference in the world of investment banking unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I were you, I'd absolutely look towards transferring or reapplying to a better university if you have a career in IB in mind. It's not impossible coming from NTU but you're better off being in a position where employers actively target your university than in one where they don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JohnGreek
It's a copy-paste TSR feel-good response. I wouldn't expect it to be accurate.

Yep.

E.g. been at my new uni for a few days and already there are employer sponsored events, meet and greets, dinners, networking sessions. Like night and day.
Original post by Princepieman
Prestige certainly makes a difference in the world of investment banking unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beg to differ but I see you subscribe to that notion so not gonna argue :smile:

Original post by JohnGreek
It's a copy-paste TSR feel-good response. I wouldn't expect it to be accurate.

We are people with opinions and experiences but again it sounds like you like generalising as do some others :smile:

It's not a matter of whether you subscribe to rankings of Universities etc. There are, absolutely many people, many managers, many organisations and many sectors that do subscribe, to varying degrees, in the idea of the 'prestige' of universities. in particular, sectors where the employer is effectively 'selling' the value of their employees eg consulting, private education etc place a value on where your degree is from.

Therefore, as someone considering a degree, your best strategy is to also take notice of that ranking/reputation. If you pitch for Sheffield rather than Nottingham Trent then you will be more appealing to employers who do value prestige, and it will make no difference to those that don't. But if you go to Nottingham Trent, you will stand little or no chance with those that value prestige, and so reduce your field of opportunities, you will certainly struggle to get into IB.

Later on in a career, when you have proven professional skills, it makes much less difference. But early in a career then having a prestigious degree/Uni statistically atleast, must be an advantage (cp)
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks for the informative replies guys!

Quick Reply