The Student Room Group

16 and just moved to uk

hello. im in despair right now. i just moved to uk. my birth date is 2001/03/09. so according to that , i should be in year 12. but i havent done my gcse. i have tried at two schools so far. they dont seem to give me a place. im so worried right now. i dont know what to do. i would like to know what my options are ? i would really appreciate it.
Original post by sweehee
hello. im in despair right now. i just moved to uk. my birth date is 2001/03/09. so according to that , i should be in year 12. but i havent done my gcse. i have tried at two schools so far. they dont seem to give me a place. im so worried right now. i dont know what to do. i would like to know what my options are ? i would really appreciate it.

Do something
Original post by sweehee

u need to like try and get some international qualification or if u have one already go to sixth forms and call them and ask them if u can come in and discuss having a place. If u r european u shuld be gud tho or summin coz the secondary qualifications are standardised by the EU.
If not call schools etc and ask them for guidance. explain ur prediciment first in an email and arrange a phone call, be professional
Original post by DYoverDX
He will you idiot. He's asking a question. Answer it.

Fine (what's up with him).

Just do your GCEs first or you cant do a levels.
Reply 4
Do something

i have applied for two schools . they have refused me. i would please like to know what other options are there for me.
Fine (what's up with him).

Just do your GCEs first or you cant do a levels.

this is the easiest way tho tbh
Reply 6
Welcome to the UK :smile:
I guess what you can do is go to a college and ask if you can take GCSE maths and English; as those are the key ones. At that same college explain you situation to them and ask them what your options are and I'm sure they'd be able to help you.
Good luck!
Reply 7
Go enrol at your local college and explain the situation, enrol for GCSE English, Maths and Science.
dsa
I think you would be in year 11, if you were 16 on the 3rd of September this year, so should be in the last year of GCSEs courses. Phone up (or ask a carer to phone) your local education authority and tell them your date of birth (to make sure you should be in year 11) and ask them to help you find a school. They should be able to tell you which local authority schools have places and how to apply. They should also be able to tell you about academies near you. These are state schools but they organise their own admissions and might not be able to give you a place.

If you don't know which is your local authority let us know roughly where you live (just the name of the town, no more details on -line) and someone may know who to contact.
Are there any local schools that accept international students? e.g. we have a european school near us that does bac not a levels

Quick Reply

Latest