The Student Room Group

advice/personal stories please??

ok so I'm 17 and currently have a problem "down below" I made an appointment to see a female GP today but after telling my sister I was still in large discomfort and the only available appointment with the female GP was Monday, she made me an emergency appointment with another doctor, this doctor is male, though and I feel slightly worried about possibly having to have an examination of some form. any advice?
Original post by Freyja M
ok so I'm 17 and currently have a problem "down below" I made an appointment to see a female GP today but after telling my sister I was still in large discomfort and the only available appointment with the female GP was Monday, she made me an emergency appointment with another doctor, this doctor is male, though and I feel slightly worried about possibly having to have an examination of some form. any advice?

You can ask to have a female present.
You should explain how you feel when you get to your appointment, he'll understand and will be able to reassure you. Talking about how you feel with doctors is really important and will help them to take better care of you, so don't worry about offending them because you both have the same common interest (your health). There will also be female nurses and stuff around, so if you give consent one might be allowed to sit in the room and hold your hand through the process.
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
You can ask to have a female present.
my sister will be accompanying me but I'm nervous about possibly having to show anything to a male doctor
Reply 4
Original post by crocodile_ears
You should explain how you feel when you get to your appointment, he'll understand and will be able to reassure you. Talking about how you feel with doctors is really important and will help them to take better care of you, so don't worry about offending them because you both have the same common interest (your health). There will also be female nurses and stuff around, so if you give consent one might be allowed to sit in the room and hold your hand through the process.

thank you very much :smile:
At my GP surgery you can call up to change the doctor.
So sorry if you've already done this but have you tried researching on the NHS website with your symptoms - loads of issues that girls commonly get are solveable with stuff easily available in the pharmacy. It may be worth doing this if you haven't already- you may be able to aleviate the issues long enough until you can see a female GP. It may even be worth ringing up a local pharmancy, asking to speak to a female pharmacist and explaining your issue and seeing if there's anything they can give you.

With regards to having a male GP ofcourse it may be very uncomfortable for you but doctors- especially GPs- treat such a wide range of people/ conditions that they're really unphased by issues and only view you in a strictly professional manner. It's highly likely that he's seen someone with your condition before and if not has dealt with very similar and possibly more 'embaressing' things- not that doctors think in this way. Really it's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Hope you get it sorted !
Reply 7

First off, you can ask for a female chaperone (or a family member/ friend) to be with you if that would make you more comfortable. Just ask if he can bring a nurse in if it does come to needing an exam.
Now for some personal experience. I had to see a gyno at one point for potential issues down there. He was male. He discussed the issues with me, examined me internally and gave me surgery. All in all he covered a lot of ground. He was totally professional the entire time and if anything more gentle and understanding than females I've had examine me.
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Kindred
First off, you can ask for a female chaperone (or a family member/ friend) to be with you if that would make you more comfortable. Just ask if he can bring a nurse in if it does come to needing an exam.
Now for some personal experience. I had to see a gyno at one point for potential issues down there. He was male. He discussed the issues with me, examined me internally and gave me surgery. All in all he covered a lot of ground. He was totally professional the entire time and if anything more gentle and understanding than females I've had examine me.
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. :smile:

thank you so much :smile:
Reply 9
thank you everyone, it went really well and is all sorted now😊
thank you everyone, it went really well and is all sorted now😊

GOod news

Quick Reply

Latest