The Student Room Group

Jane Eyre and Atonement Comparisons

Hello all,

Please could someone list some similarities and differences between Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, and Atonement by Ian McEwan? I am covering the theme of personal and moral journeys for my coursework, but I am open to ideas!

Thank you!
Original post by Ella2228
Hello all,

Please could someone list some similarities and differences between Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, and Atonement by Ian McEwan? I am covering the theme of personal and moral journeys for my coursework, but I am open to ideas!

Thank you!

I have only studied Atonement, but here are some suggestions to compare to information in Jane Eyre:

The changing role of women in the 1940s; how does this reflect society's change and the difference in moral journeys depending on context?

The role of guilt in moral and personal journeys.

What effect do mistakes have on a person's journey? (e.g. Briony destroying the journeys of Cecilia and Robbie etc by her decision)

The change of journeys

What happens when people's journeys are not completed

Reply 2
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
I have only studied Atonement, but here are some suggestions to compare to information in Jane Eyre:

The changing role of women in the 1940s; how does this reflect society's change and the difference in moral journeys depending on context?

The role of guilt in moral and personal journeys.

What effect do mistakes have on a person's journey? (e.g. Briony destroying the journeys of Cecilia and Robbie etc by her decision)

The change of journeys

What happens when people's journeys are not completed

Thank you so much! I particularly like your first idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending