The Student Room Group

Turning on petrol Vauxhall Corsa 2005 Car

Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble. I read the user manual... which is this one: http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/00_Home/Owner_Services/owners_manuals/corsa/CorsaOwnersManual_Aug03.pdf - Page 23, it talks about, putting it on the first tick (ignition 1) then moving the steering wheel, then starting the car all the way to ignition 2/3.

I'm just having a bit of problem as when I first start the car (first time in a new day) it’ll start up so quick like its normal, would make a sound then a loud noise and bam it starts…

Then if I turn it off and start it again it would make chugging noise stop then ill have to hold it still at the same position or keep moving the key further right then it finally fully starts otherwise it doesn’t

I just don’t get the problem? If I’m starting it wrong or something, its been serviced properly, nothing is wrong with it and its all checked out, am I just starting it weird, and can someone help me with that?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Theguynextdoor
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble. I read the user manual... which is this one: http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/00_Home/Owner_Services/owners_manuals/corsa/CorsaOwnersManual_Aug03.pdf - Page 23, it talks about, putting it on the first tick (ignition 1) then moving the steering wheel, then starting the car all the way to ignition 2/3.

I'm just having a bit of problem as when I first start the car (first time in a new day) it’ll start up so quick like its normal, would make a sound then a loud noise and bam it starts…

Then if I turn it off and start it again it would make chugging noise stop then ill have to hold it still at the same position or keep moving the key further right then it finally fully starts otherwise it doesn’t

I just don’t get the problem? If I’m starting it wrong or something, its been serviced properly, nothing is wrong with it and its all checked out, am I just starting it weird, and can someone help me with that?

So I understand this is a Corsa C. :yes:

It sounds like the engine isn't getting sufficient air. Check your air filter/intake for leaves or some sort of debris perhaps?
Original post by RoyalSheepy

It sounds like the engine isn't getting sufficient air. Check your air filter/intake for leaves or some sort of debris perhaps?

Oh really? Sorry I'm really bad with cars lol, is it easy to check the air filter/intake (and how do i check it lol, for leaves and debris) and will it be easy to clean?

(it's at servicing today, so i'm pretty sure they will have a look at that?)

I thought it'd be complicated than that, haha but as long as its to do with just debris etc, that'd be good.
Oh really? Sorry I'm really bad with cars lol, is it easy to check the air filter/intake (and how do i check it lol, for leaves and debris) and will it be easy to clean?

(it's at servicing today, so i'm pretty sure they will have a look at that?)

By "chugging noise", correct me if I'm wrong, do you mean it's hard to start up the car? :smile:

It's quite simple, there should be videos online (YouTube) showing you how to do it. :yep: But if it's in for a service, I'd expect them to check your air filter and intake :yes:

Also with the corsa c, do i have to turn the key to ignition 1 then all the way, to stop the steering wheel lock, so turn it then move the steering wheel, then start engine all the way? Or do I do it the usual way I am currently doing by just turning the key all the way straight away without stopping and then driving off?
By "chugging noise", correct me if I'm wrong, do you mean it's hard to start up the car? :smile:

It's quite simple, there should be videos online (YouTube) showing you how to do it. :yep: But if it's in for a service, I'd expect them to check your air filter and intake :yes:

Great, sorry for all the questions haha and I just saw the videos :smile:
Well yeah the second time round it'd be a bit hard to start the car (first time its smoooooth) second time its not like difficult but it wouldnt start up the same as it did the first time round after a new day if that makes sense. It would chug for like 2-3 seconds then start up all the way.

it would make like a chugchug-ticktick noise when starting then hold it down for a bit more then it'll start all the way

Sorry for all the questions
(edited 6 years ago)
Well yeah the second time round it'd be a bit hard to start the car (first time its smoooooth) second time its not like difficult but it wouldnt start up the same as it did the first time round after a new day if that makes sense. It would chug for like 2-3 seconds then start up all the way.

it would make like a chugchug-ticktick noise when starting then hold it down for a bit more then it'll start all the way

Not a problem! :h:

So I'm guessing you've bought the car recently? :laugh: :smile:

It doesn't sound like anything too serious tbh, if everything is starting up then there's nothing to worry about! :biggrin: Just the way you described it in the OP makes it sound like it's something to do with air intake.

Everything sounds alright when the motor is running though?
Not a problem! :h:

So I'm guessing you've bought the car recently? :laugh: :smile:

It doesn't sound like anything too serious tbh, if everything is starting up then there's nothing to worry about! :biggrin: Just the way you described it in the OP makes it sound like it's something to do with air intake.

Everything sounds alright when the motor is running though?

Yep! everything sounds perfect lol, I mean either way it wouldnt damage the car the way it starts right, just the engine itself? lol so in the case its not tooooo bad lol
Reply 8
Yep! everything sounds perfect lol, I mean either way it wouldnt damage the car the way it starts right, just the engine itself? lol so in the case its not tooooo bad lol

Starting an engine really isn't difficult - turn the key until it starts, then leave the key where it is. I don't see how you could be starting it wrong?

Nooo, it'd just mean you lack in power by quite a bit :lol: If anything else, it might be the starter motor (if that's a grinding sound you're describing). But if it's gone for a service, I wouldn't worry about anything! I'm sure they'd tell you if there was anything to worry about.

If everything else sounds right then I wouldn't worry :yep:
Original post by IWMTom
Starting an engine really isn't difficult - turn the key until it starts, then leave the key where it is. I don't see how you could be starting it wrong?

As in, no idea whether to start it to ignition 1 then break the steering wheel lock then start it all the way or just start it all the way regardless, and the key should stick on II not III, but am I right in turning the key ALL the way to III? without stopping? not halfway between II and III, but all the way to the right without stopping?
Nooo, it'd just mean you lack in power by quite a bit :lol: If anything else, it might be the starter motor (if that's a grinding sound you're describing). But if it's gone for a service, I wouldn't worry about anything! I'm sure they'd tell you if there was anything to worry about.

If everything else sounds right then I wouldn't worry :yep:

Phew lol, I sound so worried haha and I've got my final question just above this! <3 sorry lol
Reply 12
As in, no idea whether to start it to ignition 1 then break the steering wheel lock then start it all the way or just start it all the way regardless, and the key should stick on II not III, but am I right in turning the key ALL the way to III? without stopping? not halfway between II and III, but all the way to the right without stopping?

If you actually use the steering lock then you'll need to unlock that first, and then just turn straight to starting until your engine is running. Haven't you driven a car before?
Reply 13
Or started a car??? :hmmm:

See this is what's confusing me; as far as I know, starting a car is pretty standardised in terms of procedure unless it's some sort of keyless entry push button start fancy doodah.
Original post by IWMTom
If you actually use the steering lock then you'll need to unlock that first, and then just turn straight to starting until your engine is running. Haven't you driven a car before?

Vauxhalls are annoying lol, works differently for me in my head >.<
I mean you said turn straight to starting, but do would I turn the key all the way to III or just to II? (its in the guide I showed in first post)

The key will stay at II, no matter if the engine is on or not. :yes: But in order to start the car, the key must be held at III until the engine has fully started :smile:

Original post by IWMTom
See this is what's confusing me; as far as I know, starting a car is pretty standardised in terms of procedure unless it's some sort of keyless entry push button start fancy doodah.

Our new tractor has that push start thingy, and I must say I'm not a fan of it :lol: :hmmm:

Spoiler

The key will stay at II, no matter if the engine is on or not. :yes: But in order to start the car, the key must be held at III until the engine has fully started :smile:

Our new tractor has that push start thingy, and I must say I'm not a fan of it :lol: :hmmm:

Spoiler

Ahhh so that makes sense, turn it quickly all the way to III without stopping and hold it, I got you <3

and yeah I agree haha
Ahhh so that makes sense, turn it quickly all the way to III without stopping and hold it, I got you <3

and yeah I agree haha

Well, go to I first. Wait a couple of seconds.

Then move to II. Wait for some of the lights to disappear, and some should remain.

Then move and hold to III, until the engine has started. (making sure you're not in gear, obviously)

Once engine has started, then stop holding the key.

Engine started :biggrin:
Also with the corsa c, do i have to turn the key to ignition 1 then all the way, to stop the steering wheel lock, so turn it then move the steering wheel, then start engine all the way? Or do I do it the usual way I am currently doing by just turning the key all the way straight away without stopping and then driving off?

Key in and turn. It sounds like you're worried that you might start the car with the steering lock engaged. Don't be worried about it, you wont be able to start the car if the wheel is locked, you wont be able to turn the key to start the car.

Might be a long shot, but maybe it's a battery thing? I mean, if you're starting it, not driving, turning off and then starting again, you wont have charged the battery up, maybe that's leading to a reduction in the amps that the battery delivers to the starter, making for a slightly long fire up? Can't say that's 100% the cause, but it doesn't sound serious.

You also have to keep the key in the starter position until the car has started. You shouldn't continuously run the starter much longer than 10-15 seconds else you'll risk it overheating, although given our climate, and given that you're driving a petrol, it's very unlikely you'll ever find yourself in a scenario where you're trying to start up for that long.
OP, is the car petrol or diesel, it could be bad spark plugs if a petrol or if diesel bad glow plugs

Quick Reply