The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For anyone who has done the UKCAT, what would you say in AR was the relative number of times each type of question would pop up, namely:

1. Set A/B
2. Complete the series
3. If X is to Y, then Z is to.....

Thanks!
edit
Original post by Rocket900
For anyone who has done the UKCAT, what would you say in AR was the relative number of times each type of question would pop up, namely:

1. Set A/B
2. Complete the series
3. If X is to Y, then Z is to.....

Thanks!

A/B 60%
Complete series 30%
X is to Y 10%
But this could vary as it's a randomised test
Original post by yas2510
did my ukcat today, got 725 average, band 1. I'm applying as a graduate so not sure where I should look, any ideas?

hey,

if you dont mind, can you give us some tips as to what resources you used and how you prepared?

thanks
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
A/B 60%
Complete series 30%
X is to Y 10%
But this could vary as it's a randomised test

Oh thank you so much - yeah that's very true but to standardise it as much as possible I think the variations will only be small ones perhaps
Original post by dr sanchez
i did it today and got 615 average and band 4 idk how band 4, in practice i kept doing really well and would get band 2. im doing bmat but wanna apply to ukcat unis aswell to split it up. I got 5a* and 5a and one C in IGCSE and international AS i got AAAB in maths bio chem and geo B was in bio but resitting and should hopefully get an A overall (only resitting unit 3), so what unis do u reckon i can apply to with a good shot of getting in? and would i get into manchester uni or bristol?

IIRC bristol doesnt look to heavily on UKCAT (Double check this, e.g. on medicportal), so should be alright. But they are very personal statement/work experience heavy. I would not recommend manchester as they have a cut off for the ukcat , around 660 last year, and considering the interim resuts i doubt this will decrease. The medic portal has a good guide on which ukcat unis to apply to if theyre below average. Best of luck!
Is medify AR representative, and for SJT is medify better or is ISC
My test is in 2 days and on medify my mock score progressively gets worse so I am so worried.

I'm also nervous about DM as medify can only give a range score. Could anyone tel me how the actual UKCAT test compares to medify's DM?
VR I seem to get around 600 and I feel like thats too low because in the test I'll be nervous and I think that would slow me down with reading even more :/
QR is a bit of a mess and i've heard a mixed opinion on how people scored in relation to their mocks so overall i'm really worried.

I currently feel prepared enough for AR and SJT and thats about it.

If anyone has advice that would be great.
Original post by qwertyuiop786
My test is in 2 days and on medify my mock score progressively gets worse so I am so worried.

I'm also nervous about DM as medify can only give a range score. Could anyone tel me how the actual UKCAT test compares to medify's DM?
VR I seem to get around 600 and I feel like thats too low because in the test I'll be nervous and I think that would slow me down with reading even more :/
QR is a bit of a mess and i've heard a mixed opinion on how people scored in relation to their mocks so overall i'm really worried.

I currently feel prepared enough for AR and SJT and thats about it.

If anyone has advice that would be great.

DM was for me similar if not very slightly harder in the real thing.
VR just try practising skimming the text before picking up the key terms from the questions.
QR for me was much much easier I scored around 300 more than I expected
Same for AR ^
Original post by throwaway169.
DM was for me similar if not very slightly harder in the real thing.
VR just try practising skimming the text before picking up the key terms from the questions.
QR for me was much much easier I scored around 300 more than I expected
Same for AR ^

Thanks for the advice. Wow congrats on the higher than expected score- that's so reassuring :smile:
Original post by qwertyuiop786
Thanks for the advice. Wow congrats on the higher than expected score- that's so reassuring :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Good luck! You'll smash it for sure
Original post by Rocket900
Oh thank you so much - yeah that's very true but to standardise it as much as possible I think the variations will only be small ones perhaps

Of course! Generally it will be pretty much the same with some small fluctuations.
It's just I've had some (so only a few!) friends who've got quite a vast array of questions not in that proportion! :biggrin: I kinda prefer those other types than A/B though.
Just took the UKCAT today:

VR: 630
DM: 730
QR: 800
AR: 850
SJT: Band 1
(Average 752.5, Overall 3010)

Good luck to anyone who's yet to take the exam!
Original post by biological5472
Just took the UKCAT today:

VR: 630
DM: 730
QR: 800
AR: 850
SJT: Band 1
(Average 752.5, Overall 3010)

Good luck to anyone who's yet to take the exam!

First congratulations on your score, it's absolutely amazing!

Would you have any tips for abstract reasoning and verbal reasoning? Even when I skim through, I always have 6-7 questions I dont have time to answer. :frown:

For DM, were there a lot of one type of questions, or was it around equally distributed??

Thank you :smile:
Original post by JSC16
UKCAT : 578 Band 3 😩 GCSEs: 4A*s 3 As 3 Bs A level predictions : AAA Strong personal statement with 2 weeks work experience in dental surgery and 1 in orthodontic practice This is straight after my UKCAT so I'm very disheartened Many thanks🤓 I heard the UKCAT unis just say they make up for poor
GCSEs and don't rank you like medicine do (dentistry by the way)

Many dental uni's do rank you. Look up the document on how universities use the UKCAT, places like sheff and Glasgow rank for dentistry
Original post by nitroustoast
hey,

if you dont mind, can you give us some tips as to what resources you used and how you prepared?

thanks

yeah so i mainly used medify for about 3-4 weeks and kaplan questions and the official UKCAT questions/mocks. I also used themedicportal for like a week and a tiny bit of the 1250 question book. I did like 11 mocks too.

I thought that VR was really hard in the real thing compared to medify, because the passages were longer and quite confusing, i only got 590 in this section

DM on medify is way easier in the exam too so i would advise using the 1250 question book to practise. i thought i would do better but i only got 620.

QR was really easy in the exam compared to everywhere else. In practise i never got above 650 but in the real thing i got 810

AR was easy and similar to medify in my opinion, this was my best section as i got 880.
Original post by yas2510
yeah so i mainly used medify for about 3-4 weeks and kaplan questions and the official UKCAT questions/mocks. I also used themedicportal for like a week and a tiny bit of the 1250 question book. I did like 11 mocks too.

I thought that VR was really hard in the real thing compared to medify, because the passages were longer and quite confusing, i only got 590 in this section

DM on medify is way easier in the exam too so i would advise using the 1250 question book to practise. i thought i would do better but i only got 620.

QR was really easy in the exam compared to everywhere else. In practise i never got above 650 but in the real thing i got 810

AR was easy and similar to medify in my opinion, this was my best section as i got 880.

many thanks
Hi I did my UKCAT a few weeks ago and got 3140 (785 average)
VR - 820
DM - 700
QR - 750
AR - 870
SJT - Band 1

I have 2A*s 6As 2Bs and a C at GCSE and am predicted A* in maths and As in Bio and Chen and already have an A in politics. I wanted to apply to Nottingham but I'm not sure if my GCSEs are strong enough as they score them and I would achieve 10/16. Anyone know if I would do well or not?
Also anyone who wants some tips on AR or VR I'd say for AR don't get hung up on one question just move through quick. And VR don't read just look for words that are mentioned in the question and read that sentence.
Quick question about the exam compared to say, medify practice questions.

Can you select and highlight text? It's far easier for me to read when things are highlighted, for obvious reasons like the contrast of white text on a dark background. Also, does anyone know if the calculator stays popped up as you go through questions, since medify has a habit of closing the calc every time you move to the next question.

My exam isn't for another week and a half, but was a graduate, I'm kinda worried I won't get the scores I need. Also, does anyone else find medify practice questions kinda disheartening when you see the metrics for answers? The correct answer is usually the most popular, and I've found that I usually answer at or a few seconds slower than the average times it takes for correct responses. How some people manage to get some of those AR questions in 30s, I don't know. It makes me feel below average.
Original post by Danielb2000
Even with band 3 SJT

Majority of Universities don't look at SJT. There are a couple though which do though and rarely accept candidates with 3/4. Check each Uni's admissions (the detailed version is usually in a pdf) and see how they use the UKCAT. Everything else though is fine for any university.

Latest

Trending

Trending