The Student Room Group

What does bf mean by this? male opinions needed

I have been in a serious committed relationship with my bf for 1.5yrs now. We're 21 and he said this to me today...

'We're just holding each other down
We love each other n all but you're holding me down and I'm holding you down
It means what it means I'm not gonna go into it because it will sound rude'

I want to know what people think this means. It would be nice to hear a boys perspective on what my boyfriend meant by saying this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hjkatel
I have been in a serious committed relationship with my bf for 1.5yrs now. We're 21 and he said this to me today...

I want to know what people think this means. It would be nice to hear a boys perspective on what my boyfriend meant by saying this.
Sounds to me like he's trying to break up with you but doesn't want to admit openly that that's what he wants.
Original post by Hjkatel
I have been in a serious committed relationship with my bf for 1.5yrs now. We're 21 and he said this to me today... 'We're just holding each other down We love each other n all but you're holding me down and I'm holding you down It means what it means I'm not gonna go into it because it will sound rude' I want to know what people think this means. It would be nice to hear a boys perspective on what my boyfriend meant by saying this.

You're 21, you should know that this means he wants to break up with you...
RIP
Reply 4
Original post by Hjkatel

If my boyfriend said that to me, I wouldn't be asking the internet what it meant. I would be asking him.

Personally, I think he wants to end the relationship. Sorry.
Context? Did he just say this out of the blue or something? Anyway, it looks like he's saying he feels restricted in the relationship and wants something to change. Maybe he wants to end the relationship.
Reply 6
We were having a convo at the table just casual talk and then I mentioned how he never thanks me for buying his food shopping etc and that was his reply.
Original post by Hjkatel

It would seem to me that he wants to break up and go do other things in his life that he feels he can't do with you by his side. I think he wants to break up with you but is holding back because a) he doesn't have the bottle to say it or b) he doesn't want to hurt you - if he's 'not gonna go into it because it will sound rude' then he probably doesn't have the nuts.

Just my 2 cents...

Hope that helps.
You're a burden - that's what he means.
Original post by num.7

You should be a diplomat...
Reply 10
I just asked him if he wants to break up and he said no he swears to god. he said he's 'always saying dumb stuff' ? don't know what to think now
Reply 11
Original post by Hjkatel
I just asked him if he wants to break up and he said no he swears to god. he said he's 'always saying dumb stuff' ? don't know what to think now

Every ride has its finishing line, but u can be the driver and choose where it finishes
This is deputy Habib Syed, Sargent on duty of the 83rd male devision. It looks like a baffeled female called in a 10-18 on a 21 year old male matching the description of a castrated dog. We've set up an secure perimeter and put out an IPB, but no officers have called in a vision so far. First on the scene, reports show that suspect intended to break up the relationship with an unclear intent to harm. The victim reports that the suspect utilised an offensive weapon of absolutely zero sense when the incident occured at approximately 20:30 on Tuesday Evening. Forensic team have concluded with this evidence so far, it would be safe to say; your boyfriend is breaking up with you.
Original post by Hjkatel

Basically he's not man enough to come clean and formally break up with you, ditch the boy and get yourself a real man.
He wants to propose
Sounds like he's laying the foundations to break up with you. He wants freedom but hasn't got the balls to come right out and say it yet.
That's a breakup line to me
Original post by Hjkatel

"We're holding each other down" = I'm stopping you from doing what you want to do, and you're stopping me from doing what I want to do.

"We love each other n all but you're holding me down" = I have strong feelings for you, really. And I wasn't lying all those times I said I love you, but I want to do other things and you're stopping me from doing that.

"And I'm holding you down" = And I'm stopping you from doing things you want to do, but I'm only saying that to justify myself saying that I'm held down by you. It makes me feel less harsh if you're also not happy anymore, even though I know all you want is to be together.

"It means what it means I'm not gonna go into it because it will sound rude" = I want to break up with you but I really don't want to hurt your feelings. I hope you just hate me and dump me rather than having me be the *******, because then my conscience will be clear.

Sorry to tell you this OP. I tried to word it as best as I could. You'll find someone who will make you infinitely happier, trust me. Just keep doing things you enjoy and you'll find people who enjoy the same things as you. Sorry again.
He wouldn't be saying that if he loved you lmao. Nothing else really matters when you're with someone you love <3 As long as they love you back and won't cheat on you ofc.
Reply 19
Original post by num.7

and u have no sense of emotion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending