The Student Room Group

I want to be an actress/ model (london)

I've always had a dream of being an actress. i just finished my first year of uni studying pharmacy and i was miserable. ive decided to take a year out and try and persue my dream. i live in london but its hard to get an agent.
any advice?
i dont want to waste the year and really want to make my dreams come true
any advice ?
My advice would be to continue with your degree. By all means try and persue acting and modelling, but there are tens of thousands all thinking the same way as you.
Reply 2
Original post by bioloves
I've always had a dream of being an actress. i just finished my first year of uni studying pharmacy and i was miserable. ive decided to take a year out and try and persue my dream. i live in london but its hard to get an agent.
any advice?
any advice ?

What kind of model? Catwalk/fashion or commercial? Have you applied to any agencies yet? What experience do you have in acting?
Reply 3
Original post by Ciel.
What kind of model? Catwalk/fashion or commercial? Have you applied to any agencies yet? What experience do you have in acting?

i have no experience in acting except school plays
im 5'2 so beauty modelling?
acting is amin priority
Reply 4
i have no experience in acting except school plays
im 5'2 so beauty modelling?
acting is amin priority

Well, the chances of anyone hiring you to play in a movie are 1 to million if you have no experience. Even people who have studied acting for years struggle to get hired nowadays. It is VERY competitive. Even more so, if you don't know anyone in the industry. You can try your luck with adverts, and maybe independent, small budget films (they don't pay well, though).
Just attend LOTS of auditions.

Yeah, 5.2 is no good for the catwalk. With commercial modelling, if you want to be a 'real' model, working with big companies, then your face must be exceptionally beautiful and unique. If you are just another pretty face, then again, you can't really count on anything more than cheap adverts, stock photos.
I'm not being harsh, but that's the reality of this industry. Think twice before throwing away your degree.
any advice?
any advice ?

Unfortunately because of your lack of experience in acting you are put at a slight disadvantage. Which means in some cases you will probably have to
A) Work for free for small budget films
B) Go for any roles where you can be an extra,
If you go for either of these options you will be able to eventually build up your showreel. Apart from that, chances are slim
At 5 FT 2 the only "modelling" you will be offered is Glamour modelling. For this you must join a reputable Glamour model agency. BUT... Most glamour models to be accepted have to have perfect hair, skin, teeth, figure, be highly photogenic. Just like fashion modelling, there are thousands trying to make it. The best thing you can do is contact a few reputable agencies in London. They often hold assessment afternoons once a week, where anyone can turn up. If they like you they will arrange photos etc and take it from there. Don't spend any money getting any photos of your own taken. As for the acting. Well, again, like models, there are thousands of them. The ones who are usually successful have been to Drama School for 3 years. If you don't want to audition for drama schools, perhaps contact local theatre companies near where you live and see if you can join them.
any advice?
any advice ?

any advice?
any advice ?

Finish your Pharmacy degree first. You can start looking for acting/modelling roles once you've qualified :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending