The Student Room Group

Should universities make vaccinations compulsory?

Poll

Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

In particular should the meningitus and septicaemia vaccination for MenACWY be a requirement before students arrive for Freshers?

Meningitus, although rare, can be deadly, and students starting university for the first time are at an increased risk of MenACWY disease because they are more likely to stay in halls of residence and have more close contact with new students, especially during Freshers Week.

If you want to find out more about MenACWY, and to check your eligibility for a free vaccination, see:
https://www.meningitis.org/eligibility-checker

Should it be compulsory?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
In particular should the meningitus and septicaemia vaccination for MenACWY be a requirement before students arrive for Freshers?

Meningitus, although rare, can be deadly, and students starting university for the first time are at an increased risk of MenACWY disease because they are more likely to stay in halls of residence and have more close contact with new students, especially during Freshers Week.

If you want to find out more about MenACWY, and to check your eligibility for a free vaccination, see:
https://www.meningitis.org/eligibility-checker

Should it be compulsory?

I think when you start forcing any medical treatment rather than encouraging it, people can be much less likely to want to do something. I do think like all vaccinations should be promoted as much as possible considering the lives and money saved, prevention always better than the cure after all.
Reply 2
Yes
I think they should be strongly encouraged, and made readily available, but I'm on the fence about whether they should be made mandatory, personally.
It was compulsory when I was back in school, so I don't see what the problem is with having it compulsory for university students, a friend of mine contracted meningococcal Meningitis when we were in Primary School (1998/Cambridgeshire - made national news) he spent a few months out of school recovering from it, a couple of months can effectively screw over an entire year of university, so why take the risk?
my daughter had it in her second year.she was very luck and only suffers memory problems and migraines this is 18 months later. its a killer it must be vaccinated against if making it an entry requirement then i say yes. there are many different types of infection that can cause meningitis so its a step in the right direction. but even more important is education. a 30 minute lesson would should be taught about the symptoms and what to do.
Generally I would say the state shouldn't interfere in the public's health. However I think vaccinations are an exception. By not vaccinating you potentially put others at risk too... it's a very selfish decision to rely on everyone else to vaccinate enough to protect you. Meningitis can have really life changing consequences (and kill).
Original post by claireestelle
I think when you start forcing any medical treatment rather than encouraging it, people can be much less likely to want to do something. I do think like all vaccinations should be promoted as much as possible considering the lives and money saved, prevention always better than the cure after all.

But it doesn't just affect you. It will affect others too.
I think people who don't have this, and other vital innoculations are selfish. They are putting the health of other people at risk.
Yes, they should be. It's already mandatory for healthcare related courses in regards to a wider range of vaccinations that you should've already had, but I've no issue with those you've listed above being mandatory for all.
Some people (such as me) have issues with our immune system - even things like a cold can make us pretty sick. The last thing we need is a serious illness because someone can't be bothered to vaccinate themselves.
Original post by Tiger Rag
But it doesn't just affect you. It will affect others too.

Yes of course it affects others and the uptake needs to be better but I think people can get quite aggrieved sometimes if any treatment is forced on them so they might just refuse to have it anyway. Explaining why you should have it works much better than saying you have to have it
I read this as vacations initially lol

But, yes they should. I went like 2 and a half weeks without being vaccinated just because of how difficult it was for me to get one in my hometown. I was so paranoid :s-smilie:
Yes, these ones absolutely should be in my opinion. It's so important. For those that are at increased risk for other reasons/unable to have the vaccine, it's important those around them have it. Encouragement has always been the case, but far too many people still don't bother. For such a dangerous illness, I think this one should really be mandatory
Reply 14
Original post by Elastichedgehog
I read this as vacations initially lol

But, yes they should. I went like 2 and a half weeks without being vaccinated just because of how difficult it was for me to get one in my hometown. I was so paranoid :s-smilie:

Maybe the universities should work with the NHS to provide a "pop-up" at Freshers were they can do the vaccinations.

Although I think it would be better for people to have it done before arriving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the problems here is is that universities, colleges and the NHS aren't pushing it enough. I found the recommendations to have ACWY vaccination online. My college didn't suggest it before I left, even knowing that I was going to university; and my university of choice only recently suggested it. UCAS followed suit even later.

Even when I went to my GP to ask for information about it they couldn't provide any. But arranging to have it was easy, I basically just had to make an appointment with a nurse at my surgery and it was all very quick and easy. She even gave me a print out of every vaccination I've had in case my university wanted to check.

I seem to also recall a poster on here mentioning that they had tried to get the jab but that there was a nationwide shortage. Thankfully I arranged to get mine very early in the year because I like to avoid this sort of chaos.

It's annoying when other people neglect to have vaccines for serious diseases like meningitis. Not that I can blame them, because most people had no idea they 'needed' it. But consider this, anyone that does get meningitis will be more susceptible to catch and spread other diseases as well, which is going to set everyone on campus up to catch colds, flu or worse; even if they were vaccinated against the disease in question.
(edited 6 years ago)
Wait, is that the one you get in year 9? I gotta get that soon.
Reply 17
Original post by Rigmarole
She even gave me a print out of every vaccination I've had in case my university wanted to check.

That should be available online to everyone. Securely, of course. It's ridiculous that it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should be strongly encouraged but in the end you can't force people to get vaccinations. 99% of Uni students are going to be 18+ so legal adults.

What would happen if a student were to refuse the vaccination? Would they be stopped from enrolling on their course? I don't see how you could enforce it if it were to become "compulsory".
Very strongly recommended, available for everyone and widely advertised with an aim of 95% vaccinated in year 13. Some people can't have vaccines like this (eg immunocompromised people) so of course it wouldn't make sense to make it compulsory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending