The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

You can't plagiarise your own work !

UCAS wont be bothered by a resubmitted PS, but I would recommend re-working and updating it to make it the best you can.
I agree if it is your idea and original work technically not plagiarism but if it isn't recorded in the UCAS system as your previous work it might not recognize this? I don't know how the system works as the advice was a long time ago. My main point is vet schools will not appreciate the same statement resubmitted as they want to know what has happened since you applied previously.

Original post by returnmigrant
You can't plagiarise your own work !

UCAS wont be bothered by a resubmitted PS, but I would recommend re-working and updating it to make it the best you can.
Just found this:
https://www.ucas.com/file/4766/download?token=pSJOtql1

The document states UCAS will not count your previous work when searching for plagiarised content so seems fine :smile:. Just as I mentioned would recommend against it as veterinary universities will find it strange if there aren't any updates from the previous cycle.

Original post by Vetstudent333
I agree if it is your idea and original work technically not plagiarism but if it isn't recorded in the UCAS system as your previous work it might not recognize this? I don't know how the system works as the advice was a long time ago. My main point is vet schools will not appreciate the same statement resubmitted as they want to know what has happened since you applied previously.
Original post by Vetstudent333
Hi there I'm currently a 4th year at the RVC on the BVetMed with intercalated year so it has been a while since I applied. However, I do remember some careers advisors warning me that personal statements are checked for plagiarism. If you submitted the statement last year I think it enters a database bank and submitting it again could flag up your new application as plagiarism even though it was your original statement. I think if you were to rephrase certain points that would be ok but if you are having a gap year most unis will want to hear about what you have been up to in your personal statement and new information/ strengths/ work experience you have gathered in the extra time? Hope this helps and feel free to shoot me any more questions :smile:

You can't plagiarise your own work because anything that's written by you is your own, there's no such thing as it causing a problem being flagged up. I submitted the same personal statement 3 times, with slight changes because what I had done between each application had altered, but the basis of my ps was the same. Vet schools couldn't care less if you resubmit the same ps with slight alterations, at the end of the day if you've got a good personal statement there's no need to re-write it and waste your own time. Most of the vet schools don't even look at personal statements anyway. No applicant would re-submit an identical ps from the previous application because they will have done something in the year between, and that can simply just be added.
Hi everyone, just wanted to apologise to everyone who has PM/VM/quoted me in the past few weeks that I have not yet responded to. I have had a bit of a hectic month with moving, placements and starting classes again but I am trying to catch up with my inbox. I'm working through everything in the order it was sent to me. Just letting you all know in case you thought I was ignoring you!
Original post by pacb10
Hi, I'm in pretty much the same position as you! I'm reapplying to 3 of the same unis that I applied to last year (Bristol, RVC and Liverpool). I've changed my original personal statement to include extra work experience I've done, plus what I'm doing in my gap year and a few extra things like books/online courses! It's similar to what I wrote last year because I've spoken about some of the same cases but I've tried to change it as much as I can (including cutting some stuff out from last years)! I didn't have that much more to add but I'd say 50% of it is new and the stuff that was the same I've tried to write it in a different way! I've also completely changed my intro and conclusion :smile:

Oh okay! Thank you so much! I'm planning on doing something very similar as well I think - glad to know I'm not the only one :smile: and good luck with your application!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by annaff11
Oh okay! Thank you so much! I'm planning on doing something very similar as well I think - glad to know I'm not the only one :smile: and good luck with your application!!

You're welcome :smile: you too!!
Apart from RVC, do I have to submit any other forms separate from UCAS to other unis?
Original post by idree5
Apart from RVC, do I have to submit any other forms separate from UCAS to other unis?

I believe Bristol have some sort of questionnaire they're rolling out in lieu of interviews. They also generally want a WEX form filled out.

I think Edinburgh and Liverpool had WEX forms they wanted you to fill out as well, but icr exactly as it's been a while since I went through the applications for either.
Original post by idree5

What separate forms are you sending to RVC?
Don't they all send links to questionnaires for WE after you send the application?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by maca_17
What separate forms are you sending to RVC?
Don't they all send links to questionnaires for WE after you send the application?

The work experience form
Original post by idree5
The work experience form

Is it part of the ucas application? Sorry... I haven't heard or read anything about it...
Original post by maca_17
Is it part of the ucas application? Sorry... I haven't heard or read anything about it...

No, you can find it on their website and you have to submit it before the deadline
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applicant-work-experience-form
Original post by maca_17

On the RVC website it says a work experience form must be submitted separate to your application by the 15th October, otherwise you'll be rejected. I wasn't sure if RVC was the only university that did this. I don't wanna get caught out by a silly bit of paper work 😂
Original post by idree5
On the RVC website it says a work experience form must be submitted separate to your application by the 15th October, otherwise you'll be rejected. I wasn't sure if RVC was the only university that did this. I don't wanna get caught out by a silly bit of paper work 😂

Original post by Nessie162
No, you can find it on their website and you have to submit it before the deadline
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applicant-work-experience-form

Thank you! Neither do I 😂
three things:

1. I want to include my zoo placement as part of the 4 references Surrey require because I didn't mention it in my ps and it was a nice reference but it isn't on headed paper
I've already had to ask them to email me it because I lost the one they printed for me (:facepalm:) which was originally on headed paper since they have it in their printer so the emailed one just has a blank space at the top
would it be too annoying to email again and ask them to put their header thing on the top ?? I guess I could just copy and paste their logo myself but that seems a bit shady
otherwise I could just use another vet reference

2. does anyone know if Surrey's questionnaire has to be filled out in one go or whether you can do it in bits throughout the five days?

3. i'm SCARED i can't believe i'm actually applying
Original post by defenestrated
three things:

1. I want to include my zoo placement as part of the 4 references Surrey require because I didn't mention it in my ps and it was a nice reference but it isn't on headed paper
I've already had to ask them to email me it because I lost the one they printed for me (:facepalm:) which was originally on headed paper since they have it in their printer so the emailed one just has a blank space at the top
would it be too annoying to email again and ask them to put their header thing on the top ?? I guess I could just copy and paste their logo myself but that seems a bit shady
otherwise I could just use another vet reference

2. does anyone know if Surrey's questionnaire has to be filled out in one go or whether you can do it in bits throughout the five days?

3. i'm SCARED i can't believe i'm actually applying

I'm pretty sure all references have to be on headed paper. Otherwise the uni's don't accept them. I would just email again and apologise. It will take them 5 minutes and is important for you.

I believe the questionnaires have to be completed in 1 go but I'm not sure if that's only for the SJT part.

Me too!
I am applying to Liverpool for Veterinary science. My UCAS has not yet been submitted as I am waiting for my reference to be written.
I have 2 more weeks of work experience to do before I apply. Can I still fill out the Liverpool work experience form now and put it down as it would be completed by the time the form is due? Or is it best to wait until I have done the work experience and then fill out the form?
The deadline for the Liverpool form is the 20th October I believe so why not wait until you have completed that extra 2 weeks and then fill it out as they state that future work experience cannot be included.
Original post by animalmagic
The deadline for the Liverpool form is the 20th October I believe so why not wait until you have completed that extra 2 weeks and then fill it out as they state that future work experience cannot be included.

Thank you. I was unsure because I did read that "Placements not yet completed cannot be included in the questionnaire."
But then I opened the questionnaire and its states "You should note that we do carry out random checks to ensure that the work experience claimed has been completed or planned"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending