The Student Room Group

Good enough GCSE grades for oxford or cambridge ?

I am hoping to apply for the undergraduate law, but I'm not sure my GCSE's are good enough for Oxford or Cambridge.
I got 3A's, 4B's and 2C's
I got a B in english language
I got a C in english literature and maths
No.

I find it quite amusing people think they can be in the bottom 30% of results in a subject like maths as well as bottom 60% in English, the two most important subjects for GCSE and can get into the top two universities in the country, as well as potentially the world, for one of the most competitive courses that requires extreme levels of proficiency in English.
The Cambridge website says it has no requirements for GCSEs. Most students have A*s and As but they say that a good A-Level performance can make up for poor GCSE grades. They want A*AA at A-Level for law.

Oxford is almost the same, saying no requirements but A*s and As make you more competitive and stand out more, but they are assessed as part of a whole including personal statement etc. They want AAA at A-Level.
Original post by gal.123
I am hoping to apply for the undergraduate law, but I'm not sure my GCSE's are good enough for Oxford or Cambridge.

Original post by Appleorpear
No.

I find it quite amusing people think they can be in the bottom 30% of results in a subject like maths as well as bottom 60% in English, the two most important subjects for GCSE and can get into the top two universities in the country, as well as potentially the world, for one of the most competitive courses that requires extreme levels of proficiency in English.

Pretty sure a C isn't bottom 30%. But your point still holds. Getting a single C in something irrelevant to law might be excusable, but in English, it probably won't cut it. Add to that the fact that the average grade achieved is barely a B (at my sixth form, that would only just about be good enough to study some of the more intensive A-levels like the sciences), and it's probably out of reach.
Actually, you still have a chance at getting into Cambridge. This entirely depends on how well you work at AS and A2 and what grades you achieve. If you are able to achieve straight A's and A*s then you have a good chance of getting in even with your GCSE's. Bear in mind that your grades will be moderated to see how well you did in comparison with your cohorts and if you come from a poor state school, you might have a slight advantage.
Reply 5
I got 3 A*s, 3 As, 4 Bs and a C. I've been told they're too low for oxford, and my English grades were A* and A, with a B in maths. The other Bs and Cs were sciences (which I assumed are irrelevant for law, considering my A*s and As in relevant subjects) - so maybe not Oxford... but Cambridge are more lenient on them and care much more about A levels. I think your AS grades/A level predicted grades are much more important - if you've got A*AA or higher, I say why not apply to Cambridge?
Reply 6
Original post by DrawTheLine
The Cambridge website says it has no requirements for GCSEs. Most students have A*s and As but they say that a good A-Level performance can make up for poor GCSE grades. They want A*AA at A-Level for law.

Oxford is almost the same, saying no requirements but A*s and As make you more competitive and stand out more, but they are assessed as part of a whole including personal statement etc. They want AAA at A-Level.

I got AAAB for my AS, if that counts towards anything and my predicted are A*AA
Reply 7
Original post by CherryKnot
Actually, you still have a chance at getting into Cambridge. This entirely depends on how well you work at AS and A2 and what grades you achieve. If you are able to achieve straight A's and A*s then you have a good chance of getting in even with your GCSE's. Bear in mind that your grades will be moderated to see how well you did in comparison with your cohorts and if you come from a poor state school, you might have a slight advantage.

AAAB for my AS I have got
Reply 8
Yes you still have a chance, I too only got a C in English but luckily I come from a school where performance is quite low
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheMindGarage
Pretty sure a C isn't bottom 30%. But your point still holds. Getting a single C in something irrelevant to law might be excusable, but in English, it probably won't cut it. Add to that the fact that the average grade achieved is barely a B (at my sixth form, that would only just about be good enough to study some of the more intensive A-levels like the sciences), and it's probably out of reach.

It is, google it.
It is, google it.

Using 2016's figures from http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/gcse.htm , to get a C in Maths requires a score between the 39th and 68th percentiles. Where the heck are you getting your numbers from?
Original post by TheMindGarage
Using 2016's figures from http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/gcse.htm , to get a C in Maths requires a score between the 39th and 68th percentiles. Where the heck are you getting your numbers from?

AQA/Edexcel gcse result statistics.
AQA/Edexcel gcse result statistics.

Taking AQA June 2016 here as an example (course 4365), you had to have been in the top 53.3% to get a C.
Original post by gal.123

I'd strongly recommend you go for Cambridge rather than Oxford - they place much less emphasis on GCSE's. Obviously yours are considerably below average for Cambridge as well, but you may be able to make up for it with your interview and performance in the law written assessment at interview.
As above , you probably stand a better chance at Cambridge although a lot does depend on other factors such as choice of A levels - to study Law an essay based subject is preferred , such as English / History . My son ( ex Cambridge now a lawyer ) did maths , English , economics and physics and most of his fellow students did a similar mixture . Cambridge also has a list of preferred A levels ( google it ) and , as expected they are mainly 'traditional ' along with those ' less preferred ' . As far as GCSE's go , he and most of his fellow students had mainly A* with maybe the odd A or B thrown in . It is very competitive but you have nothing to lose by giving it a go - good luck
have i got a chance with 3a* 4a 1b 1c in terms of gcses. should i still apply to cambridge
are my gcse grades the average for cambridge

3 A* 4A 1B 1C. If not are my chances hindered by these grades.
naaa u need 5 a stars to get considered well hindered u knw it boy redo them
Original post by Sports10
naaa u need 5 a stars to get considered well hindered u knw it boy redo them

says who
No.

I mean your not wrong dude, but no need to be so blunt, you could be crushing people's dreams there. 🤷

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending