The Student Room Group

Flight lessons alongside degree?

Im currently 17 and in my second year of A levels.
I want to get a degree and also take flight lessons on the side? Am I being ridiculous or can I do it? I want to become a pilot but I also want to go to university and get a degree because I know how competitive it is to get a job as a pilot...what do you think? Thanks
Expensive to do so. There is a shortage of pilots at present, overall. Just as long as you have some dignity and never go and work for Ryanair.
You're gonna be in debt for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time boi
Original post by xxxtentacion..
Im currently 17 and in my second year of A levels.
I want to get a degree and also take flight lessons on the side? Am I being ridiculous or can I do it? I want to become a pilot but I also want to go to university and get a degree because I know how competitive it is to get a job as a pilot...what do you think? Thanks

Personally, I don’t think it’s worth it. Flight training can cost around £50k and remember that university is going to be £27k. Many people spend all this money on training and struggle to find a job, and in the end they work normal jobs with £50k debt.

‘Cadet programs’ are becoming popular with airliners including Virgin Atlantic, British Airways and EasyJet, and because they have these programs they don’t really bother hiring people outside the program. I think only a few airliners actually hire people who train the traditional way which you are wanting to do, including RyanAir.

Basically, these airliners like British Airways will enter you into a ‘cadet program’ if they accept you, you will have to pay about £100k and have a security bond on a UK property, then you will undertake flight training. As soon as you pass your ATPL/MPL, you will (most likely) be guaranteed to work for the airliner, and over the next 7 years they will pay you pack the £100k on top of your wage.

The reason I say a degree won’t be helpful is that iirc, the only requirements are a pass in GCSE Maths, Science & English and BBC at A-Level. Don’t quote me on the A-Level part. What ever you do, tread carefully, it’s a lot of money and you may struggle to find a job
Original post by barnetlad
Expensive to do so. There is a shortage of pilots at present, overall. Just as long as you have some dignity and never go and work for Ryanair.

Original post by Sidra.I
You're gonna be in debt for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time boi

Original post by Fonzworth
Personally, I don’t think it’s worth it. Flight training can cost around £50k and remember that university is going to be £27k. Many people spend all this money on training and struggle to find a job, and in the end they work normal jobs with £50k debt.

‘Cadet programs’ are becoming popular with airliners including Virgin Atlantic, British Airways and EasyJet, and because they have these programs they don’t really bother hiring people outside the program. I think only a few airliners actually hire people who train the traditional way which you are wanting to do, including RyanAir.

Basically, these airliners like British Airways will enter you into a ‘cadet program’ if they accept you, you will have to pay about £100k and have a security bond on a UK property, then you will undertake flight training. As soon as you pass your ATPL/MPL, you will (most likely) be guaranteed to work for the airliner, and over the next 7 years they will pay you pack the £100k on top of your wage.

The reason I say a degree won’t be helpful is that iirc, the only requirements are a pass in GCSE Maths, Science & English and BBC at A-Level. Don’t quote me on the A-Level part. What ever you do, tread carefully, it’s a lot of money and you may struggle to find a job

Ik I will be in debt, so do you think its sensible if I get a job on the side first during my degree? And then fund it? Yes Ill be in debt but it will be worth it after right?
Ik I will be in debt, so do you think its sensible if I get a job on the side first during my degree? And then fund it? Yes Ill be in debt but it will be worth it after right?

What I’m doing is, once I turn 18, I’m applying to one of the cadet programs. If I get accepted and can begin my training, then I completely forget about a degree and just focus on the flight training and after a year or two, I’ll be working for an airliner.

If I don’t get in or something stops me (like failing the Class 1 Medical), then I’ll just go to university and get a degree and possibly forget about it.

I’m not prioritising the possible aviation career because there’s not much you can do. Apparently it’s easy to get past the CV part but the interviews are were they get people out. I’m prioritising university even though it’s my second choice, because there are things you can do about it
Original post by Fonzworth
What I’m doing is, once I turn 18, I’m applying to one of the cadet programs. If I get accepted and can begin my training, then I completely forget about a degree and just focus on the flight training and after a year or two, I’ll be working for an airliner.

If I don’t get in or something stops me (like failing the Class 1 Medical), then I’ll just go to university and get a degree and possibly forget about it.

I’m not prioritising the possible aviation career because there’s not much you can do. Apparently it’s easy to get past the CV part but the interviews are were they get people out. I’m prioritising university even though it’s my second choice, because there are things you can do about it

I was thinking of this too but when you join the cadet program, I thought when you finish it, they will only offer you jobs like the crap airlines and the ones where your pay isnt good, and its in a contract so you cant change it....I dont know how true this is...
I was thinking of this too but when you join the cadet program, I thought when you finish it, they will only offer you jobs like the crap airlines and the ones where your pay isnt good, and its in a contract so you cant change it....I dont know how true this is...

There’s a whitelist program by CTC or you can directly apply to an airliners cadet program so your guaranteed to work for them. However your right it is a contract for about 7 years but honestly, you can’t be picky about the aviation industry and you need to be grateful to work for an airliner even if its a ‘crap airline’. Pay from all airlines are quite good, you can always work your way up to Virgin or British Airways. 7 years out of a 30-40 year career won’t hurt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending