The Student Room Group

Uni advice (economics)

Hi all, (don't let the name put you off I'm not a troll, yet that is)
wanted to ask a couple of questions and thought this forum could be useful.
So I wanted to apply for economics but not sure what unis, I take Maths,Economics and Buisness and I may be predicted (AAA-AAB)
A in maths and business are confirmed predicted grades.
Also my GCSE grades are as follows: (4A's 5B'c and a C)
Just wondering what are your thoughts on those gcse grades because when I first looked at them I was just happy I got an A in maths.
Plus what unis do you recommend
Thanks in advance
Sorry for essay
(edited 6 years ago)
It depends on your economics grade. The similar subjects may count against you. Nottingham is a shot tho because I know last year Someone got accepted with your exact combo but that is A*AA to AAA.
Birmingham Leeds are AAA
York and Southampton are defo respected and are targeted by BCG one of the best global management consultancy firms and the grades are AAB with the B in maths hence you pass that so are competitive.
Go on whatuni and type in your predicts so that can give you more options
Reply 2
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
It depends on your economics grade. The similar subjects may count against you. Nottingham is a shot tho because I know last year Someone got accepted with your exact combo but that is A*AA to AAA.
Birmingham Leeds are AAA
York and Southampton are defo respected and are targeted by BCG one of the best global management consultancy firms and the grades are AAB with the B in maths hence you pass that so are competitive.
Go on whatuni and type in your predicts so that can give you more options

Firstly, thanks for your response.
I saw qmul which ask for AAA and Loughborough who rank at 12th but they ask for AAB which I don't understand because qmul, Birmingham are lower ranked in economics compared to Loughborough.
Original post by sexbox 360
Hi all, (don't let the name put you off I'm not a troll, yet that is)
wanted to ask a couple of questions and thought this forum could be useful.
So I wanted to apply for economics but not sure what unis, I take Maths,Economics and Buisness and I may be predicted (AAA-AAB)
A in maths and business are confirmed predicted grades.
Also my GCSE grades are as follows: (4A's 5B'c and a C)
Just wondering what are your thoughts on those gcse grades because when I first looked at them I was just happy I got an A in maths.
Plus what unis do you recommend
Thanks in advance
Sorry for essay

notts, loughborough, york, birmingham, leeds, uea, lancaster, surrey, york, manchester - you get the drift.
Reply 4
Original post by Ze Witcher
notts, loughborough, york, birmingham, leeds, uea, lancaster, surrey, york, manchester - you get the drift.

thanks
Firstly, thanks for your response.
I saw qmul which ask for AAA and Loughborough who rank at 12th but they ask for AAB which I don't understand because qmul, Birmingham are lower ranked in economics compared to Loughborough.

Loughborough probably has better student satisfaction, hence the higher ranking - don't quote me on this - just assuming.

I'd argue Birmingham is better than Loughborough for econ, but that's my opinion.

Not sure about QMUL, they've been in clearing a few times with lower entry requirements than AAA - last year they were A*AA which I don't know why..
Reply 6
Original post by Ze Witcher
Loughborough probably has better student satisfaction, hence the higher ranking - don't quote me on this - just assuming.

I'd argue Birmingham is better than Loughborough for econ, but that's my opinion.

Not sure about QMUL, they've been in clearing a few times with lower entry requirements than AAA - last year they were A*AA which I don't know why..

What would you recommend for insurance (uni)?
What would you recommend for insurance (uni)?

I don't think anyone could help you with that since it would have to be a place that you'd want to go. Normally, the entry req. would be 2/3 grades lower than your firm though.

When I applied last year I had my firm and insurance were the same (AAA) -- incredibly risky but I was confident in my abilities - I had southampton econ as an insurance choice (out of my 5 choices - didn't pick it as an insurance) but I didnt want to go there - it's still good but it wasn't for me.

Just make sure your insurance choice is somewhere where you wanna go and check the entry req. on ucascourse search.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending