The Student Room Group

why is their a suprising number of students who drop out of oxbridge

i am just wondering to why their is a suprising number of students who drop out of oxbridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well one reason is that they don't know the difference between their and there
Reply 2
Original post by seanbruce
i am just wondering to why their is a suprising number of students who drop out of oxbridge

Surprisingly low?

The dropout rate for both is below average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What number surprised you? They both have relatively low drop out rates compared with most Unis. What is your data?
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
Surprisingly low?

The dropout rate for both is below average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what i meant by suprising number is that their number maybe below average but it is still high for 2 of the top unis in the country
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
What number surprised you? They both have relatively low drop out rates compared with most Unis. What is your data?

what i meant by a suprising number is that their numbers maybe low but i thought the nunbers wouldve been a lot lower than what they are
Why should that make any difference?

They accept bright people - but clearly even bright people decide that Uni (or more specifically, that Uni) isnt for them for a whole variety of totally valid reasons.
Reply 7
Original post by GrabDrop
Well one reason is that they don't know the difference between their and there

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no how am i going to sleep at night due to this grammatical error :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 8
what i meant by suprising number is that their number maybe below average but it is still high for 2 of the top unis in the country

1.1% at Cambridge is the lowest in the country. People dropout for all sorts of reasons, some to do with MH but also unexpected external circumstances.

Considering the intensity of the environment (short terms, pretty high workload, etc) it's unsurprising that some don't enjoy it. Indeed I imagine many would expect the dropout rate to be much higher but the tutorial and collegiate system does a pretty good job of supporting many (but not all) that need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's full of pretentious snobs talking to each other in Latin.
1.1% at Cambridge is the lowest in the country. People dropout for all sorts of reasons, some to do with MH but also unexpected external circumstances.

Considering the intensity of the environment (short terms, pretty high workload, etc) it's unsurprising that some don't enjoy it. Indeed I imagine many would expect the dropout rate to be much higher but the tutorial and collegiate system does a pretty good job of supporting many (but not all) that need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're also recommended to take a year of absence, rather than dropout entirely.
Reply 11
Original post by auburnstar
They're also recommended to take a year of absence, rather than dropout entirely.

Indeed, but even using the intermitting rate it's still very low.

And some people do fall through the support gaps. Things can always be improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Acend1992

Oh yeah totally. Barely speak any English there.
Original post by Acend1992

How disappointing that this has 5 upvotes. Some people are bitter :h:

Graduation ceremonies at Oxford are in Latin, however. :colone:
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know what they say Doonesbury if you can't stand the heat, step out of the kitchen
You know what they say Doonesbury if you can't stand the heat, step out of the kitchen

You're on fire
its a crappy university that's why duh!
Its often the intensity of Oxbridge that is the problem - 8 week terms and 'full-on'. Some people perform better with 10 week terms and not the same psychological pressure. This has nothing to do with intelligence - its about learning style.

Most people who make it to Oxbridge have often been high achievers all their lives, and getting to a Uni where everyone is as clever (or cleverer) than them, where they may get mere A grades instead of A*s, that too often can be an enormous dent to their confidence. Its not uncommon for students to find this very difficult to get their heads around.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no how am i going to sleep at night due to this grammatical error :frown: :frown: :frown:

It's not a grammatical error. It's a spelling mistake. :shakecane:
Original post by alow
Oh yeah totally. Barely speak any English there.

I spoke only Greek at Oxford, but one or two of my friends forced me to break into Latin at times, confusingly.

Quick Reply

Latest