The Student Room Group

Work experience - accounting firm

I just graduated and have no experience in working in any accounting firms. I ave been wanting to do an internship but was offered work experience instead

My question is should I take up the offer ? also I was offered experience in more than one work place and was offered a chance to work under a chartered accountant on weekends. I want to apply to the graduate schemes and was wondering if these experiences would make me look like a much better candidate
Reply 1
Original post by H Khan
I just graduated and have no experience in working in any accounting firms. I ave been wanting to do an internship but was offered work experience instead

My question is should I take up the offer ? also I was offered experience in more than one work place and was offered a chance to work under a chartered accountant on weekends. I want to apply to the graduate schemes and was wondering if these experiences would make me look like a much better candidate

Not sure I understand the difference between work experience and an internship? What is the offer? How long? Do you get paid?

I'm a bit concerned that someone has suggested that you could work under a Chartered Accountant at the weekends. CA don't generally work at weekends unless under a lot of pressure, in which case they don't want trainees about.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Not sure I understand the difference between work experience and an internship? What is the offer? How long? Do you get paid?

I'm a bit concerned that someone has suggested that you could work under a Chartered Accountant at the weekends. CA don't generally work at weekends unless under a lot of pressure, in which case they don't want trainees about.

I ave called a few local accounting firms and asked for internships, they said they don't do them but offer weekly work experience placements. The difference is the time frame and I won't be paid for it. I'm thinking about doing multiple firms and maybe applying to one of the top 20-50 accounting firms graduate programs in 2 months time.

Also an acquaintance of mine owns a small accounting firm and said I could learn under him on weekends whenever I'm free. He mentioned it would be good for my cv and I would be able to learn how to do accounts for local clients
Reply 3
Original post by H Khan
I ave called a few local accounting firms and asked for internships, they said they don't do them but offer weekly work experience placements. The difference is the time frame and I won't be paid for it. I'm thinking about doing multiple firms and maybe applying to one of the top 20-50 accounting firms graduate programs in 2 months time.

Also an acquaintance of mine owns a small accounting firm and said I could learn under him on weekends whenever I'm free. He mentioned it would be good for my cv and I would be able to learn how to do accounts for local clients

Thats good - both ideas would help your applications. A week is enough to get a feel for the working life and reflect on how it suits you. Likewise hands on experience can be valuable.
Original post by H Khan

Why didn't you try to obtain work experience/internships for accounting throughout your degree?
Reply 5
Original post by Ze Witcher
Why didn't you try to obtain work experience/internships for accounting throughout your degree?

I couldn't afford to take time off work to do an internship as I was the only member in my household who was working. However now my brothers are helping out so I do not need to work as hard and can focus on getting some experience
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Thats good - both ideas would help your applications. A week is enough to get a feel for the working life and reflect on how it suits you. Likewise hands on experience can be valuable.

Thank you for your help , I will take up both offers
Work experience is great, and gives you a competitive advantage! However, some people get grad jobs without relevant experience.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending