The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How many genders are there?

How many genders are actually out in the world?
Are there more than 2?
A website says there are 63...
What are your opinions?

Thank you

~Mo

Scroll to see replies

Two, male and female, I do believe trans people have difficulties, in which case they are the gender which they feel they are.
There are 64 genders.
In my opinion there isn't really a set "number" of genders as I think it's more of a spectrum. To be honest, you should just identify with whatever you feel most similar to/what makes you happy.
I don't really understand people who attack anyone who's non-binary or transgender- they're not hurting anyone, what's the problem?
Original post by RockGirl19
In my opinion there isn't really a set "number" of genders as I think it's more of a spectrum. To be honest, you should just identify with whatever you feel most similar to/what makes you happy.
I don't really understand people who attack anyone who's non-binary or transgender- they're not hurting anyone, what's the problem?

I kind of see what you mean, but humans are primates and like all mammals they get on just fine with 2 genders...
What Ive never understood is the argument that sex and gender are two different things. If this was the case, there would be no need to have a sex change to change your 'gender?'.

Although I do believe biological sex and gender are heavily interlinked and essentially the same thing.

but there are only two genders.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jack22031994
What Ive never understood is the argument that sex and gender are two different things. If this was the case, there would be no need to have a sex change to change your 'gender?'.

Although I do believe biological sex and gender are heavily interlinked and essentially the same thing.

couldn't agree more.
Original post by TheDCMarvelDuo
I kind of see what you mean, but humans are primates and like all mammals they get on just fine with 2 genders...

The thing with gender is that it's different from biological sex - while the majority of people are cisgendered each brain has a different interpretation of "gender."

Because I'm not trans I obviously can't speak definitively on this :s-smilie:. But I see a lot of talk about trans people - especially anyone who's non-binary - saying that they're looking for attention? And I just think that even if you do believe that, by making such a big deal of it you're giving them more attention and making it more of an issue.

Idk, I'm probably not making much sense :redface:
(and thank you for being really civil, i was worried I'd get loads of angry replies lol)
Original post by RockGirl19
The thing with gender is that it's different from biological sex - while the majority of people are cisgendered each brain has a different interpretation of "gender."

Because I'm not trans I obviously can't speak definitively on this :s-smilie:. But I see a lot of talk about trans people - especially anyone who's non-binary - saying that they're looking for attention? And I just think that even if you do believe that, by making such a big deal of it you're giving them more attention and making it more of an issue.

Idk, I'm probably not making much sense :redface:
(and thank you for being really civil, i was worried I'd get loads of angry replies lol)

i completely agree with you, its an interesting social topic that I wish was discussed more instead of just blasting insults all the time.
Can't believe this is something you're genuinely asking.

2. Male and female.
Gender is a social construct. That doesn't mean it's not real. Money is a social construct, so are nation states, that they are social constructs, not real, physical objects doesn't mean they have no bearing on our lives.

The thing with social constructs is we have to decide how useful they are as well as if they do more harm than good.

In the case of gender I don't think it works out being a big net negative on our collective life experience so we should just drop the whole thing entirely.

In other words; there are no genders.
Original post by ItsMeMo!
How many genders are actually out in the world?
Are there more than 2?
https://apath.org/63-genders/
This website says there are 63...
What are your opinions?

Thank you

~Mo

There are only 2 genders, both male and female. However the distinctions are not binary. It is more of a continuous line and people fall in different places according to what they think correctly defines themselves and makes them comfortable.

How about if, say, your brain is exposed to testosterone so it masculinises, while the rest of your body isn't (or you have a condition where your sex organs don't respond to testosterone). You therefore feel like a man but your body is female. So you might want a sex change.

That still fits with sex and gender being heavily interlinked (which is doubtless true) but different.
Reply 13
Depends whether you are referring to physical gender or mental gender. Physically, yes there are obviously two genders, if you are a human being. Mentally (what you identify as), there are infinite possibilities - such as the poster above who considers himself of the 'dragon attack helicopter' gender.

Because in reality a sex change isn't actually a sex change, i.e. it's impossible to genetically change your biological sex. It's just that the words "gender" and "sex" have become so conflated that a lot of people use them interchangeably nowadays.
(edited 5 years ago)
gender isn't real lol
Original post by mojojojo101
Gender is a social construct. That doesn't mean it's not real. Money is a social construct, so are nation states, that they are social constructs, not real, physical objects doesn't mean they have no bearing on our lives.

The thing with social constructs is we have to decide how useful they are as well as if they do more harm than good.

In the case of gender I don't think it works out being a big net negative on our collective life experience so we should just drop the whole thing entirely.

In other words; there are no genders.

Well this lightened up my dry lecture. All I can say is LOL. There are only two gender - male and female. Genders are not a social construct, they are a biological construct. I will not deny simple biology because people think they are not the gender that they are biologically programmed to be.
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Well this lightened up my dry lecture. All I can say is LOL. There are only two gender - male and female. Genders are not a social construct, they are a biological construct. I will not deny simple biology because people think they are not the gender that they are biologically programmed to be.

Think I'm gonna go with decades of sociological research rather than some ignorant fool on the internet.

What is a biological construct? Do you mean sex? 'Cause that isn't binary either, unless of course you want to dismiss the approx. 1.5% of the population who are born with some type of intersex condition, many of whom then have their sex surgically assigned to them.
Original post by mojojojo101
Think I'm gonna go with decades of sociological research rather than some ignorant fool on the internet.

What is a biological construct? Do you mean sex? 'Cause that isn't binary either, unless of course you want to dismiss the approx. 1.5% of the population who are born with some type of intersex condition, many of whom then have their sex surgically assigned to them.

Sociological research doesn't beat hard core biology which has been here since the beginning of time. You don't need research to tell you that you either have a penis or a vagina. That's biological. If you read my comment correctly I said people who think, THINK, they are a different gender. You're switching between biology and sociology. You can't just say no gender exists and they use intersex conditions as a counter argument.
Original post by itsmemo!
how many genders are actually out in the world?
Are there more than 2?
https://apath.org/63-genders/
this website says there are 63...
What are your opinions?

Thank you

~mo

unlimited genders!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending