The Student Room Group

Can I ask Durham to take me back after rejecting them?

Thanks for all the help guys, I realise now I was just being silly for no reason
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

With all due respect, you are insane if you honestly believe that going to KCL will make Oxford outright reject you for a Masters. It does not work like that at all.
KCL is good enough. You should never choose a uni on how "prestigious" it is.
Original post by TitanCream
KCL is good enough. You should never choose a uni on how "prestigious" it is.

HA ha ha, I appreciate the blunt response. I completely understand what you're saying and that is useful to know. I agree that you shouldn't choose a university on the basis of prestige alone but I am concerned that the KCL course might not be rigorous enough, and I am a very academically orientated person. Sorry if I'm being a bit repetitive
But surely having a less rigorous course at a strong uni will make your life far more easier, no?

I think league tables are utter BS, but KCL falls under 11th for English. Still good!
Also, I hate to be really picky but you posted this in a Social Sciences sub.......
Reply 6
Original post by Serena k poodles
HA ha ha, I appreciate the blunt response. I completely understand what you're saying and that is useful to know. I agree that you shouldn't choose a university on the basis of prestige alone but I am concerned that the KCL course might not be rigorous enough, and I am a very academically orientated person. Sorry if I'm being a bit repetitive

KCL is an RG uni which means it's amongst the top in the UK, alongside Durham. If that's not prestigious enough for you then I'm not sure what is!
If you don't think you will enjoy three years of the KCL course and you find the Durham content more interesting, then you have a basis for dropping out and re-applying. Perhaps re-applying to Oxbridge too.

However, if you are dropping out merely for the sake of prestige and the possibility of getting on an Oxbridge master's, that is incredibly misguided. KCL is an academically rigorous uni and there will be people from Anglia Ruskin, Westminster and Reading on the Oxbridge master's. All that is required is a very good grade on your undergraduate degree. If KCL is truly sub-par, it should be even easier to get exceptional grades in order to be in contention for the master's at Oxbridge.
Also, I hate to be really picky but you posted this in a Social Sciences sub.......

Yeah, I'm sorry about that, i've never posted anything before and must have put it in completely the wrong placed
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
If you don't think you will enjoy three years of the KCL course and you find the Durham content more interesting, then you have a basis for dropping out and re-applying. Perhaps re-applying to Oxbridge too.

However, if you are dropping out merely for the sake of prestige and the possibility of getting on an Oxbridge master's, that is incredibly misguided. KCL is an academically rigorous uni and there will be people from Anglia Ruskin, Westminster and Reading on the Oxbridge master's. All that is required is a very good grade on your undergraduate degree. If KCL is truly sub-par, it should be even easier to get exceptional grades in order to be in contention for the master's at Oxbridge.

Thank you for replying, your advice is very helpful. It's definitely not purely on a prestige basis that I would switch universities, its more that I'm not sure if the course is suited to me, but I will give the course a bit longer and see if I like it more :smile:. I thought about reapplying to oxford after being rejected by Cambridge (they said I was too quiet at interview), but I think it highly unlikely I would get in.
But surely having a less rigorous course at a strong uni will make your life far more easier, no?

I think league tables are utter BS, but KCL falls under 11th for English. Still good!

That's true. I guess what I meant was that I really like to be challenged.
Yeah, I'm sorry about that, i've never posted anything before and must have put it in completely the wrong placed

No worries, just might be best to put it in the English one for better answers.
No worries, just might be best to put it in the English one for better answers.

Will do, you have all been very helpful anyway
Reputation wise KCL and Durham are both very good. On an international level, I would also say KCL is more prestigious.

You won't have a better chance at Oxford because you're at Durham, that's insane. Clearly showing strong signs of a lack of maturity, starting to believe this is a troll post.

However, to answer your question I believe it's now too late to ask them to take you back. Honestly there's no point taking a year out (unless you want to try Oxford at Undergrad). If I were you I would do the 3 years at KCL and then apply elsewhere for postgrad.

As for the course content not being academic enough I'm not sure what you're basing that on considering lessons at the London unis start in the next 2 weeks. But if you really think it's that bad, feel free to leave :smile:
However, I would love to do a masters and PhD at Oxford university,

Oxford offer a DPhil, not PhD.

but I am worried they won't consider me because I go to Kings.

No need to worry.
Reply 15
Get a feel for the course before you make any irrational decisions. In my person opinion, KCL is a highly prestigious university anyway- and the course won't differ that much across the universities. All degrees require an immense amount of effort; but if you find yourself with no work to do, then make some. Independent study is what university life is all about, and as for English- there are never ending essays to write, critical analysis to learn and novels to study. Try and enjoy your time at university and stop worrying about the 'what ifs'.
Hope this helps:smile:
[QUOTE="RogerOxon;73845228"]Oxford offer a DPhil, not PhD.

No need to worry.[/QUOTE

Sorry, yeah that's what I meant :smile:
Original post by NotKidding
Reputation wise KCL and Durham are both very good. On an international level, I would also say KCL is more prestigious.

You won't have a better chance at Oxford because you're at Durham, that's insane. Clearly showing strong signs of a lack of maturity, starting to believe this is a troll post.

However, to answer your question I believe it's now too late to ask them to take you back. Honestly there's no point taking a year out (unless you want to try Oxford at Undergrad). If I were you I would do the 3 years at KCL and then apply elsewhere for postgrad.

As for the course content not being academic enough I'm not sure what you're basing that on considering lessons at the London unis start in the next 2 weeks. But if you really think it's that bad, feel free to leave :smile:

Ha ha ha, don't worry I'm not a troll, but I just worry about these things when I probably don't need to. I think I will stay at kings, I think I was too hasty, basing it on hearing some lecturers talk and I think I am still hung up a bit over Cambridge where I need to stop thinking about it.
Thanks for all the replies guys, I realise I'm being a bit of an idiot and I need to really give university a chance before I start making hasty decisions.
Reply 19

I've moved the thread to the English and linguistics forum :smile:

Your prior university will be of little interest to Oxford (or Cambridge for that matter).
There are KCL alumni at Cambridge doing MPhil English Studies.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending