The Student Room Group

Durham Postgraduate Personal Statement Length?

I'm considering applying to Durham for my masters but I'm kind of puzzled about the character limit of 32,700 which frankly seems very excessive. Are people actually expected to write that much (also can the admission staff actually be bothered to read that much lol)?

Do you think it would be fine to write about one or two sides of an A4?
Original post by notbritt
I'm considering applying to Durham for my masters but I'm kind of puzzled about the character limit of 32,700 which frankly seems very excessive. Are people actually expected to write that much (also can the admission staff actually be bothered to read that much lol)?

Do you think it would be fine to write about one or two sides of an A4?

2 sides of A4 is plenty. The character limit may just be for people who need to submit a research proposal or to keep it open ended in case people need to write more for whatever reason.

Where did you find this incidentally because I can't find it on their generic postgrad app website?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
2 sides of A4 is plenty. The character limit may just be for people who need to submit a research proposal or to keep it open ended in case people need to write more for whatever reason.

Where did you find this incidentally because I can't find it on their generic postgrad app website?

I saw it for the first time when I had started my application - it shows up above the bit where you type in your personal statement. I don't think it mentions the limit on the website or the application guide tbh.
Original post by notbritt
I saw it for the first time when I had started my application - it shows up above the bit where you type in your personal statement. I don't think it mentions the limit on the website or the application guide tbh.

Oh in that case I would ignore it completely. It's basically a free text box which IT have probably forced a limit on so people don't go overboard. I'd even say one side of A4 is enough for a postgrad PS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending