The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Business Studies mark scheme help

This is a part of the mark scheme for the Edexcel IGCSE May 2012 business studies exam. What does the "AO2" mean? There's also "AO1", "AO3" and "AO4". What do they exactly mean?

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 19.04.10.png
"AO" stands for Assessment Objectives, there are four different AOs in Edexcel IGCSE Business and they are as follows:

AO1: recall, select, use and communicate their knowledge and understanding of concepts, issues and terminology used in business in an effective manner
AO2: apply knowledge and understanding using appropriate terms, concepts, theories and methods effectively in specific contexts
AO3: select, organise and interpret data from a variety of sources to investigate and analyse issues and problems
AO4: analyse and evaluate evidence, make reasoned judgements and present appropriate conclusions

The AOs outline what is needed/expected in your response to the question(s). In the mark scheme for the question you gave, AO2 appears a lot because these answers have applied knowledge that is relevant to the case study/context given in that exam, papers mainly have questions which target AO2 as it revolves around how well you apply your subject knowledge.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by ayychloe
"AO" stands for Assessment Objectives, there are four different AOs in Edexcel IGCSE Business and they are as follows:

AO1: recall, select, use and communicate their knowledge and understanding of concepts, issues and terminology used in business in an effective manner
AO2: apply knowledge and understanding using appropriate terms, concepts, theories and methods effectively in specific contexts
AO3: select, organise and interpret data from a variety of sources to investigate and analyse issues and problems
AO4: analyse and evaluate evidence, make reasoned judgements and present appropriate conclusions

The AOs outline what is needed/expected in your response to the question(s). In the mark scheme for the question you gave, AO2 appears a lot because these answers have applied knowledge that is relevant to the case study/context given in that exam, papers mainly have questions which target AO2 as it revolves around how well you apply your subject knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot!
I was wondering:
Do questions usually have any key words that can indicate which AO is expected?
It should make sense really.

For example in the June 2016 paper, question 1c (i)
What is meant by ‘quality customer service’? (2)

This would be AO1 as it requires you to recall your business knowledge and/or terminology

Whereas, in question 2a of the June 2016 paper,
James has been a franchisee for the past 10 years.
Discuss two advantages of being a franchisor (4)

It might look like it focuses on AO2, but it generally looks at AO3 because you are analysing issues and problems (that being a franchisor will prevent) to allow you to state the advantages.

I hope this makes sense, but all in all, I wouldn't overthink about the AOs, just remember to outline key parts of the given case study (problems the business is facing, benefits of certain methods they use, goals for their business etc.) because this will help you outline questions that might come up throughout the paper, and it can also help with the 8/10 marker questions when it comes to analysis and evaluation.

Good luck with your business (and other) exam(s)! Are you taking it in 2018 or 2019? :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks again! I will be sitting for the May 2018 exam :smile:
Original post by Raka_

Same here :thumbsup:
Reply 6
Great! :biggrin:
What subjects are you taking?
FSMQ Maths, English Literature, English Language, Chemistry, Biology, Business, PE and French. All IGCSE except PE and Maths, what about you?
Reply 8
English language B, maths B, Bengali, furthur pure maths, business studies, economics, accounting, and physics :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Raka_

how was it ? what mark do you think you will get out of 100 ?
Reply 10
Original post by rijul
how was it ? what mark do you think you will get out of 100 ?

Pretty good. I was able to answer everything. Expecting at least 85/100
Reply 11
Original post by Raka_
Pretty good. I was able to answer everything. Expecting at least 85/100

good. thats a star. i messed up the epos question. apparently its not a chip in pin machine
Reply 12
Original post by rijul
good. thats a star. i messed up the epos question. apparently its not a chip in pin machine

I messed that one up too. The rest were okay, but it was just that question. I confused it with EFTPOS xD
Reply 13
Original post by Raka_
I messed that one up too. The rest were okay, but it was just that question. I confused it with EFTPOS xD

same btw only 12 people got a* in the uk last year. so im scared
Reply 14
Original post by rijul
same btw only 12 people got a* in the uk last year. so im scared

Really? That's terrifying.
Reply 15
the business studies was pretty good..... but dont y'all think that it was rather unexpected and different comaperd to all the other past papers for bs?????
I hated the exam. Literally hated it so much. Like, it was nothing like the past papers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending